BTLWI
BTLWI
  • Threads: 6
August 31st, 2016 at 1:00:33 AM permalink
My last score was 770 (brag?). Why should I obsess over the impact that opening a new card or two might have on my score? In other words, why should I care if my score is 730 in January 2017?

I'm not into churning and not buying a house or vehicle. So why the obsession?
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 78
August 31st, 2016 at 5:42:14 AM permalink
Quote: Deucekies

Awfully clever. How were you buying coins from the mint at face value? Looking at their website, best deal I can find is $250 in dollar coins for $275.95. I thought they always sold their coins at a premium.

Every so often the Mint tries to promote the dollar coin over the dollar bill and will sell them on the site. There was a really big push in 2007 when the Presidential $1 coins came out. I was buying about 4000 a week which included free delivery.

They came in unmarked brown card board boxes. I believe it was 20 rolls of 50 coins per roll. The boxes probably weighed about 20lbs each.
Order from chaos
beerseason
beerseason
  • Threads: 4
August 31st, 2016 at 6:19:24 AM permalink
I keep 3 cards in my arsenal.

Southwest Visa
Total Rewards Visa
Mlife Mastercard.

Southwest is a boss of a card. 50k sign up bonus with 3k spend. At 110k you get a companion pass for the rest of the calendar year you hit 110k. Sign up for card this November, complete spend in Jan 17. Let's say you finish requirements by June you gave companion for rest of 17 and all of 18.

Trick to getting the 57k extra points is point whoring hotels. Choice hotels runs a couple of offers a year like stay two nights get a 50$ gift card or a free night. But in all reality they just give you 8k points roughly to exchange for a reduced rate gift card which you can only get one at a time I think. So I just bank points. 6k chpice equals 1.8k southwest.

I'm on the road a lot for work so I can accrue really fast. Plus I'll ask my dad and brother to let me book their rooms too. But I'll put it under my choice privilege number and just tell them my brother or dad will be checking in first even if I'm with them or not in the notes. Or if I have a crew out for a week. I'll book 3 rooms let's say all under mine, brother or dad. I'll get credit for all three. To get the stay two separate nights you have to book at choicehotels.com or call it in. Their mobile site is so easy to book on tho. And you have to register for the promo.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
August 31st, 2016 at 6:25:12 AM permalink
Quote: beerseason

I keep 3 cards in my arsenal.

Southwest Visa
Total Rewards Visa
Mlife Mastercard.

Southwest is a boss of a card. 50k sign up bonus with 3k spend. At 110k you get a companion pass for the rest of the calendar year you hit 110k. Sign up for card this November, complete spend in Jan 17. Let's say you finish requirements by June you gave companion for rest of 17 and all of 18.

Trick to getting the 57k extra points is point whoring hotels. Choice hotels runs a couple of offers a year like stay two nights get a 50$ gift card or a free night. But in all reality they just give you 8k points roughly to exchange for a reduced rate gift card which you can only get one at a time I think. So I just bank points. 6k chpice equals 1.8k southwest.

I'm on the road a lot for work so I can accrue really fast. Plus I'll ask my dad and brother to let me book their rooms too. But I'll put it under my choice privilege number and just tell them my brother or dad will be checking in first even if I'm with them or not in the notes. Or if I have a crew out for a week. I'll book 3 rooms let's say all under mine, brother or dad. I'll get credit for all three. To get the stay two separate nights you have to book at choicehotels.com or call it in. Their mobile site is so easy to book on tho. And you have to register for the promo.

Wow. That's some masterful cc whoring, beer. I'm in awe. Must be worth 10s of thousands to you a year.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
beerseason
beerseason
August 31st, 2016 at 6:45:14 AM permalink
It's really not worth that much. About 1.67 cents per southwest point. The 110k is worth about 1800. Companion pass worth that as well. So about 3600.

Sometimes I'll just take the gift card as I'm losing ev taking airlines points.

As let's say 8k choice is worth a 50$ gift card, so let's say they are worth 3/5th of a cent.

6k points choice worth 36.
1800 southwest worth 30.
beerseason
beerseason
August 31st, 2016 at 6:58:54 AM permalink
Another thing I try to do in terms of being what everyone calls me a point nazi.

We buy a bit of diesel for our trucks. So I make them fill up at pilot on my rewards card with my southwest card.

Only reason I'm being a stickler about it now is because I'm get 10x points. So for every gallon about 10 cents.

Everytime I put 100 gallons in at 2.50 a gallon nets me 10 in pilot cash (still haven't figured out what to buy with it, they won't let me buy booze or tobacco). And 4.10 in southwest value.

I've figured this scheme as netted me about 567 in reward value. 4k gallons at 2.5.

Edit: these figures are year to date.

Not a bad racket for swiping two cards at a pump for something I was going to do anyway.
beerseason
beerseason
August 31st, 2016 at 7:13:17 AM permalink
I'm really bored driving on a trip. So I'm figuring my EV on a trip I have to do anyway. All of which is a company expense and I'm getting paid. So this would be above my normal pay

Two hotels two separate stays nets me 8k on choice. I'll be converting that to airlines so I'm losing some EV. Worth about 40$.

200 gallons fuel nets me 20 pilot cash

1k spent on my southwest card rough estimate. Worth about 16.70 in southwest points.

Altogether 76.70 extra to go on this 3 day 2 night trip. Not much but every time you do it. It adds up.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
August 31st, 2016 at 8:41:22 AM permalink
Quote: beerseason

It's really not worth that much. About 1.67 cents per southwest point. The 110k is worth about 1800. Companion pass worth that as well. So about 3600.

Sometimes I'll just take the gift card as I'm losing ev taking airlines points.

As let's say 8k choice is worth a 50$ gift card, so let's say they are worth 3/5th of a cent.

6k points choice worth 36.
1800 southwest worth 30.

I was looking at a year and a half of free companion tickets, thinking you traveled with a crew a lot. Still a good value, though.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 311
August 31st, 2016 at 12:28:57 PM permalink
I'm definitely a different kind of credit card user - I go at it from a different angle.

I want $0 annual fee, non-negotiable, with cash-back. Cash only, no miles, no points.

The charges on the card, nearly everything we spend btw, are timed to the invoice date. The day before this date is the worst day to use the card. The day of invoice is the best time to use it, with most cards you get up to 6 weeks to pay. By having two cards, you should never have less than 4 weeks to pay, as you can change the invoice date for one to be 2 weeks after the other. Having this much time to pay is just a great way to take financial pressure off, even in times like these when money earns nothing in interest.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 29
September 5th, 2016 at 3:08:14 PM permalink
I got the chase sapphire preferred card about 6 months ago. No fee for the first year. Get 50,000 points when you spend $4,000 in the first 3 months. I pay my bills and buy everything with the card and pay the balance every month so I never pay any interest. I also added my wife as an authorized user and got an additional 5,000 points. So after I hit the 4k spend I had about 60,000 points. This is worth $600 cash from chase, or if you book travel through their ultimate rewards website the points are worth1.5x value. So for getting this card I got $900 in travel money to use on hotels, rental cars, or flights. I'll be closing this card after the 11 month and using the chase freedom card that has no annual fee. I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want this deal...

Chase just came out with a new chase sapphire reserved card with that gives you 100,000 points after you spend $4k in 3 months. I would be jumping all over this but the minimum credit line is $10,000 and I'm not sure I would qualify for that since I already have over $10k in credit with the sapphire preferred and ultimate freedom cards. I'll probably call in to see if I can open a new card and transfer my available credit and close the 2 accounts I have open.

• Jump to: