onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
September 1st, 2014 at 8:52:03 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

Have you considered paying attention while driving?

Too little gain, too much risk.
I am a robot.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
September 1st, 2014 at 9:07:30 PM permalink

This is EXACTLY why you are such a bad and dangerous driver. If your driving style causes people to go around you, you are the most dangerous car on the road, by far.

The whole reason that you are supposed to pick the correct lane for your speed is that it results in far fewer lane changes (it also reduces traffic congestion -- someone driving too slow for their lane tends to cause congestion behind them in a V-shaped pattern. If you are driving too slow in the left lane, there will be congestion diagonally back from your car)

Tell it to the judge. I'm an awesome driver and very safe. I use the cruise, turn signals, brakes, and never gamble being two feet behind someone going 75 mph for nothing because I'm not an impatient, constipated, reckless driver. The opposite of me says he would be driving safe if it wasn't for someone else, while I am the best. My last words will never be "oh $#¡+".
I am a robot.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
September 1st, 2014 at 9:18:27 PM permalink
Actually I was driving my little Dodge Colt, when my passenger saw this Lincoln, teenage girl behind the wheel, run a stop sign at 50 mph enroute to T-boning us. What he said just before the crash was " Look at this s*** !"
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
September 1st, 2014 at 9:46:46 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Tell it to the judge. I'm an awesome driver and very safe. I use the cruise, turn signals, brakes, and never gamble being two feet behind someone going 75 mph for nothing because I'm not an impatient, constipated, reckless driver. The opposite of me says he would be driving safe if it wasn't for someone else, while I am the best. My last words will never be "oh $#¡+".

You don't pay attention when you drive and you drive in the wrong lane. You cause chaos on the road as people are forced to swerve around you, since you don't know the difference between a parking lot and the left lane of a freeway. You are far, far, far more dangerous than someone who exceeds the speed limit.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
September 1st, 2014 at 10:12:35 PM permalink

You don't pay attention when you drive and you drive in the wrong lane. You cause chaos on the road as people are forced to swerve around you, since you don't know the difference between a parking lot and the left lane of a freeway. You are far, far, far more dangerous than someone who exceeds the speed limit.

Dial 911 if someone is holding a gun to your head forcing you to be a reckless driver swerving. You just aren't getting it you are the one driving your car and if we have to judge, I'm a better driver than you because I drive my car never letting someone else force me to do anything. You're the horrible driver and just don't know it and never will. Proof if I had to go somewhere far away I would be driving right now during the middle of the night just to avoid you while you're not on the road.
I am a robot.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
September 1st, 2014 at 10:23:07 PM permalink
Guys who serenely motor in the left lane at or slightly above the limit and who do not yield for quicker traffic approaching from the rear deserve all the middle fingers, flashing lights, abusive insults and all the reactive, corrective behaviors which their silly actions engender.

I don't condone shooting them: save your ammo for animals you can eat, and target shooting; don't waste bullets on these wannabe road zombies.

The use of a knife or a baseball bat is always appropriate when eliminating these Driving Dead, but remember, if you do the crime, be prepared to do the time.
"What, me worry?"
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
September 1st, 2014 at 10:30:41 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Guys who serenely motor in the left lane at or slightly above the limit and who do not yield for quicker traffic approaching from the rear deserve all the middle fingers, flashing lights, abusive insults and all the reactive, corrective behaviors which their silly actions engender.

I don't condone shooting them: save your ammo for animals you can eat, and target shooting; don't waste bullets on these wannabe road zombies.

The use of a knife or a baseball bat is always appropriate when eliminating these Driving Dead, but remember, if you do the crime, be prepared to do the time.

Buzzard are you sure this bloke isn't your bastard boy from a burger king bathroom?
I am a robot.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
September 1st, 2014 at 10:40:14 PM permalink
Who you calling "bastard boy?"

I never singled YOU out; there are a couple of your ilk posting on this thread, and my beef is with the class of The Driving Dead, not any one individual.

But you had to make it personal.
"What, me worry?"
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
September 1st, 2014 at 10:45:57 PM permalink
Ok, all parties have been heard from. Stop it there, in both directions; warning. Thank you.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
September 1st, 2014 at 10:58:15 PM permalink
No Babs darling, remember what I said. If a masochist says " Beat me ", a true sadist would say " NO ! "
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
September 2nd, 2014 at 2:58:56 AM permalink
Seriously, it's simple. Be courteous. That's all. If you are unsure of which lane to be in, follow these simple steps:

If you're going slower than the cars behind you in your lane, and if there's a lane to your right (and it's safe to), then merge right.

If you're going faster than the cars in front of you and if there's a lane to your left (and it's safe to) then merge left.

No, I'm not some asshole who's speeding everywhere around town or on the freeway (although, if I need to, I will) -- actually, for the most part, I tend to go the speed limit or below the speed limit. Yes, I will drive at my leisure. But that doesn't mean I'm going to be an asshole for those who are driving faster behind me.

The people who just drive, blindly, in the left lane, unaware of the cars behind them and seemingly unable to merge right as they should -- to me, I feel like they're the same people who, while on the street at an intersection, will be in the far right lane and will wait for the red light instead of moving to the left a bit so the cars behind them can turn right on the red light. The kind of people who "I do it because I can" not because it's the right thing to do.

Again, be courteous. Drive on the right, pass on the left. If you can't do that, you shouldn't be driving.
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
  • Threads: 21
September 2nd, 2014 at 3:25:33 AM permalink
Quote: RS

If you're going slower than the cars behind you in your lane, and if there's a lane to your right (and it's safe to), then merge right.

If you're going faster than the cars in front of you and if there's a lane to your left (and it's safe to) then merge left.

This is just plain wrong. That is not the intent of the left lane. It is a PASSING lane. If I am passing, at whatever rate, I have every right to be in that lane. I keep hearing "It is not meant to 'cruise in'". Well again, if the right lane is going 65 and I am going slightly over 70, while I may be cruising, I am still passing.

Oh, and to the Mr V.'s out there who wish harm on people like me who is doing nothing more than using the lane for it's intent, you should try a little of this:

I got a plan, we take all your picks we reverse them like one of those twilight zone episodes where everything is the opposite. You say "black" we go white.
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
September 2nd, 2014 at 3:26:26 AM permalink
Just this past week got behind a slower-than-limit driver in the left lane. This is a 4-lane divided so two lanes each direction. Finally got to pass him on the right and glanced over to see he's texting. So that explains why the @$$hole was going so slow. State troopers should have enforced both laws on this jerk.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
September 2nd, 2014 at 3:38:33 AM permalink
Isn't this all covered in driver's education classes? Even if it isn't, whatever happened to common sense? Has it been replaced with a sense or entitlement?

Here's another moronic move. A car is merging onto the highway from the on ramp so you do the courteous thing and move to the left to accommodate him. You know what happens next. Yup, he floors it and tries to get in front of you.

Speaking of entitlement, someday we can talk about the way cops drive. I have several friends and relatives in all phases of law enforcement but it hard to overlook some of the things they do. Maybe I'm just jealous. :-)
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
September 2nd, 2014 at 4:13:09 AM permalink
PASSING is an active event, not a constant condition. You are only passing when you are overcoming, going by, and getting a safe distance ahead of a vehicle or group of vehicles.

If you aren't PASSING, you are CRUISING. The left-most lane is not for cruising, it is for passing. C'mon. It is just that simple in most instances (some left exits, etc.).

I'll even give you that the left lane may be smoother than the right and it sometimes makes a better ride to stay over there longer than at other times--just get the heck out of the way of any traffic and realize that they might be breaking a speeding law but you may be breaking a law, too.
RS
RS
September 2nd, 2014 at 4:23:36 AM permalink
Quote: VCUSkyhawk

This is just plain wrong. That is not the intent of the left lane. It is a PASSING lane. If I am passing, at whatever rate, I have every right to be in that lane. I keep hearing "It is not meant to 'cruise in'". Well again, if the right lane is going 65 and I am going slightly over 70, while I may be cruising, I am still passing.

Oh, and to the Mr V.'s out there who wish harm on people like me who is doing nothing more than using the lane for it's intent, you should try a little of this:

Read my post again. Or perhaps you quoted the wrong post.

What do you think I am doing if I am going faster than the cars in front of me and I merge left? Passing them? You betcha.
1BB
1BB
September 2nd, 2014 at 4:30:10 AM permalink
Google state "keep right" laws. There's a nice chart of all the states prepared by MIT.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
September 2nd, 2014 at 5:32:47 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

Google state "keep right" laws. There's a nice chart of all the states prepared by MIT.

I don't remember any mention of these laws when taking my test, in any of the manuals, or drivers training as a teenager.
I am a robot.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
September 2nd, 2014 at 5:46:09 AM permalink
RS-Your example of the person in the right lane at a light not giving you room to turn, would be illegal. Passing on the right and driving on the shoulder.
I am a robot.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
September 2nd, 2014 at 6:11:49 AM permalink

Quote: Ohio[/b

]Ohio used to follow the UVC. In 2006 bicyclists lobbied for and won the right to obstruct traffic by going the speed limit. Left lane for passing only on Turnpike, regulation.

Justified.
Quote: NY

(No link-- New York hides its laws from people using text browsers)

just funny-thanks new yuck

Quote: Pennsylvania

May also use left lane to allow traffic to merge or "when travelling at a speed greater than the traffic flow"

I seem justifed.
I am a robot.
1BB
1BB
September 2nd, 2014 at 6:18:55 AM permalink
Leave it to New York to keep things difficult. Face, you gotta run for office!
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 22
September 2nd, 2014 at 7:18:55 AM permalink
From the Iowa Department of Transportation Iowa's Driver Manual 2013-2014

Quote: Iowa Driver's Manual Section 3 Safe Driver's Tips-Passing-Passing Procedure (Multi-Lane Highways)

1. If the road has two or more lanes in the same direction,
you should not have to face oncoming traffic.
2. Check for traffic behind you, especially in your blind
spots. Signal your left turn. Move into the left lane.
3. Accelerate and move around the vehicle in front of
you. Move back to the right only when you can see the
passed vehicle’s headlights in your rearview mirror. This
ensures you have enough room to safely pull back in
front of the vehicle you passed.

Quote: Iowa Driver's Manual - Section 3 Safe Driver's Tips-Interstate Driving-Which Lane is Best?

It is best to drive on the right and pass on the left. On
three-lane freeways, use the right lane for slower speeds, the
center lane for normal speeds and the left lane for passing.
If you stay in the right lane, watch out for vehicles entering
the highway from the acceleration lanes. Adjust your speed
when necessary to help them blend into traffic.

Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
September 2nd, 2014 at 8:25:57 AM permalink

Leave it to New York to keep things difficult. Face, you gotta run for office!

Working on it. Need a few years of age yet, but it's on my to-do list. Already working on the flag for what will be the 51st state after I lead a successful secession movement from downstate =)

Back on topic, are all in this thread city folk? The claims made here don't match what I see in my personal habitat.

Roads in NY are deplorable. The fast lane is more thought of as the smooth lane, since it doesn't get the pounding of all the big rigs what must stay in the right lane. I almost always cruise in the left, whether on quiet Rt 219 or the big I-90. To no do so would vastly increase the wear of suspension components, or in some cases even make it likely that my trailer comes unhitched from my truck. They're that bad. The right lane is just brutal on almost all local multi lane roads.

When I left lane cruise, I never do more than 5 over. Even still, the times that I get caught up are almost non existent. Of course, I'm big on awareness and am always checking mirrors, so I notice when cars have a closing rate and am already out of their way when they catch me up. They pass, and back to the left I go. Everyone's happy.

I have no problem with left lane cruisers, provided they act as I do. But I did happen upon an asshat just last Saturday, one that had to ride the brake to ensure they stay at exactly 54mph all the way down a long and winding downhill stretch. That's not easy to match when towing 2 tons of trailer and race car, but whatever. But when they reached the uphill and stayed in the left lane, eventually dropping all the way down to 38 mph, I certainly wished for my own personal brake failure just so I could "accidentally" smash them off the road without incurring criminal charges.

It's not rocket surgery. If you're alone, drive where you want. You paid for it, use it as you see fit. But if you're sharing the roadway, you have to conform to known customs. Customs decree that right is slow, exiting, and CDL-A/B vehicles, middle is cruising and the CDL A/B passing lane, and left is fast and pass. Non-conformists are a far bigger danger than any left lane Gilles Villeneuves.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
September 2nd, 2014 at 8:51:39 AM permalink
When I took driver's education in 1980 or 81 in California my teacher said that speed limits, especially on highways, are not hard and fast laws. I think he would have said that you should take under advisement both the speed limit and the speed of other vehicles. He was super big on safety and said that it was more important to keep up with the flow of traffic than to religiously adhere to speed limits.

There is a forum member (I won't say who) who used to drive exactly the speed limit in the left lane of a busy highway, that would normally have speeds well over the speed limit. I'm sure it caused for a lot of confrontations but he saw it as an act of forcing everybody behind him to show support of respecting the speed limit. I argued that impeding traffic was dangerous and could have caused an accident as people maneuvered around him but he felt so strongly in his cause that if it caused an accident, so be it.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
September 2nd, 2014 at 8:55:22 AM permalink
I'm fine with people cruising the left lane as long as they're driving their mirrors and exhibit the courtesy you're talking about of moving over BEFORE the overtaker has run up their tailpipe. It's the oblivious ones who left lane indefinitely that make me nuts. Like somebody mentioned, the texters, the gabbers on either cell or with the people in the car, etc, while bottling up a line of people and forcing them to find a place to go around. A person can move back to the right to let them go, then back to the left lane once those folks are gone, so much more easily and safely than just cruising there. And, yes, if you drive defensively, you do mentally drive all the traffic around you, not just sit there in the left lane and claim you're driving safely. Safety is a lot more than just moving forward in your own car. Share the road and all that.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
September 2nd, 2014 at 10:50:57 AM permalink
When I moved to NC in 1997, the NASCAR King, Richard Petty, was in the news. Seems he took exception to the jerk who would not get out of the left lane on I-40, and laid on the chrome horn. (for you non-racing types, that means he bumped the rear bumper on the car in front of him, with his front bumper). He ended up getting community service out of the incident, but it did cause quite a bit of conversation about left lane hogs.

It always amazes me how many left lane riders will quickly pull over into the right hand lane, immediately after I pass them on the right. I will usually follow them for 2 or 3 miles, so it's not like they didn't have plenty of opportunity to move over. So many of them are just clueless. The few who know they are doing it, and are so self absorbed that they refuse to be courteous, are the ones that are the most dangerous. Many of them will actively speed up to keep you from passing them on the right, while they continue to enforce their version of rules of the road.

Driving in the northeast is different than in the south. In the northeast, as Face indicated, the roads are quite a bit worse from the tractor-trailer traffic, and the left lane is generally much smoother than the right lane. So you always have more left lane cruisers. I always hate it when I get to PA, because that is where the left hand lane becomes a bottleneck. There always comes a time where someone going 66, decides to pass a semi going 65, and next thing you know, you are now in a pack of 40 vehicles.
I will never understand why people like to drive in packs. One idiot move, or one blown tire, and you have a 10 vehicle accident before you can blink.
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
September 2nd, 2014 at 10:52:20 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Dial 911 if someone is holding a gun to your head forcing you to be a reckless driver swerving. You just aren't getting it you are the one driving your car and if we have to judge, I'm a better driver than you because I drive my car never letting someone else force me to do anything. You're the horrible driver and just don't know it and never will. Proof if I had to go somewhere far away I would be driving right now during the middle of the night just to avoid you while you're not on the road.

lol.. you drive in the left lane because you don't want to accidentally leave the freeway. If you are not in control of whether or not your car leaves the freeway you are a menace, because you are not paying attention. Just set the cruise control and tune out, right?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 2nd, 2014 at 11:05:25 AM permalink
Quote: RaleighCraps

I will never understand why people like to drive in packs.

I don't think we like to drive in packs but it is our nature to do so. You see it on the I-15 between LA and Vegas all the time. One minute you're going 70 MPH, the next 0 MPH. It isn't just issues like somebody doing 66 MPH to pass a truck doing 65 MPH on the two-lane section between Barstow and the state line. You see this clumping in any traffic jam. I think it is a heard mentality to not just do what the guy in front of you does, but amplify his acceleration change by 10%. One person slows down just a bit, the next guy a little more, the next guy a little more, until is causes a standstill 20 cars back.

I've often wondered if those metered on ramps help to reduce this clumping. I tend to be skeptical they help, because you see clumping either way. It can also cause a problem at the northbound Sahara onramp to the I-15, where the line up extends the entire length of the on-ramp sometimes.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
September 2nd, 2014 at 11:18:18 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I don't think we like to drive in packs but it is our nature to do so. You see it on the I-15 between LA and Vegas all the time. One minute you're going 70 MPH, the next 0 MPH. It isn't just issues like somebody doing 66 MPH to pass a truck doing 65 MPH on the two-lane section between Barstow and the state line. You see this clumping in any traffic jam. I think it is a heard mentality to not just do what the guy in front of you does, but amplify his acceleration change by 10%. One person slows down just a bit, the next guy a little more, the next guy a little more, until is causes a standstill 20 cars back.

I've often wondered if those metered on ramps help to reduce this clumping. I tend to be skeptical they help, because you see clumping either way. It can also cause a problem at the northbound Sahara onramp to the I-15, where the line up extends the entire length of the on-ramp sometimes.

I think that the packs tend to form naturally due to people driving at slightly different speeds.

Suppose I'm going 80. If you are in front of me going 60 I will just pass you. But if you are in front of me going 78 or 79 I will probably just slow down a little bit when I catch up to you, probably without really noticing. This will naturally cause clumps to form as cars catch up to slightly slower cars. As the clumps get bigger, passing becomes more difficult, so now people who are going quite a bit faster than the clump will join it if they can't get around it.
Face
Administrator
Face
September 2nd, 2014 at 11:24:05 AM permalink
Quote: RaleighCraps

I will never understand why people like to drive in packs.

Speaking personally, I think it has to do with degree of attention.

Usually when I drive, that's where my focus is. I don't need a map, my radio station never changes, I don't have the social life that results in frequents texts. When I'm driving, that's what I'm doing. As such, I make it a point to pass quickly and properly to be away from people, or to maintain a speed that allows faster drivers to escape my personal space. As a result, I'm Marco Solo on the road.

Only when something else goes on does that change. When my attention gets taken off the road, I usually find myself using the easiest thing to maintain speed and course - the car in front of me. I mentally attach to it because it's right there, as a result, I begin a "grouping", or join an already formed group.

From my experience, not many drivers actively engage in the driving aspect. I'd bet the grouping is in some part a result in not having the awareness required to make a pass, take a pass, or otherwise move yourself into your own space.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
September 2nd, 2014 at 12:10:13 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I think we are discussing two different forms of packs, or clumping. I believe your situation is more of a throughput issue, as in, too many cars all trying to fit through the same space. Especially when you start seeing a slow down effect, as that can cause a bottleneck that lasts for hours on a heavily used road.

I like to travel late at night, which lets me avoid many of the idiots, since they are fast asleep. This means much less traffic on the road, but invariably, I will come upon a group of 6 or 7 cars all running together. And more often than not, I have to pass someone on the right to get away from them all. Pretty soon one of them will catch up, pass me, and then gradually slow down. The result is soon enough I end up passing them again, and the cycle repeats. I do not like to play this passing game, as every time you overtake a car, you are at risk of an accident. Eventually, I will just really hammer down to get away from them all (easier to do at 2 AM).

This is the pack mentality I am talking about. There is plenty of open road for miles. They easily have the ability to fan out, but they don't. They just stay in their pack.
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
September 2nd, 2014 at 12:20:56 PM permalink
This is funny, coming to wov for driving tips, haha.

Ok, if the thread is expanding I have another tip or pet peave.

If you are traveling on a two lane [one lane each way] and driving as is the flow of traffic at or close to the posted speed limit and there are vehicles in front and behind basically as far as you can see. There is very little benefit in passing car after car or one at a time flooring the throttle and ducking back in time after time. Its a danger to yourself and everyone else on the road. By taking that many chances over the course of an hour or more you don't gain one minute of time. As a matter of fact witnessing this scenario many times the idiot passing over and over in this fashion I will catch up to at the first traffic signal.

Sometimes when I catch up to them they are in the ditch. Or better yet along side the road receiving a ticket.

If your a**hole driving causes someone to die you are at least guilty of contributing to their demise, pompous or not.

If this is an open thread for driving tips how about this one. Don't travel very long in other drivers blind spots, be aware of the other vehicles around you. Like it says on truckers mud flaps "if you can't see my rear view mirror" [side] than I can't see you. How many people have been driven over riding in someone else's blind spot?

Ok, and another one. Signalling your intent to turn is a sign of weakness [cal. only] or when driving log truck in the Northwest and you want to get in the right lane and of course no one will let you over. The rule is 3 blinks of the turn signal and then crank the wheel. Drivers will get out of the way or they wont' but there is no sense in hauling logs down to the next exit.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
September 2nd, 2014 at 12:26:08 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

Signalling your intent to turn is a sign of weakness [cal. only]

Signalling your intent to turn is a sign of being aware that there are other vehicles on the road, which is clearly untrue in CA.
petroglyph
petroglyph
September 2nd, 2014 at 12:54:11 PM permalink

Signalling your intent to turn is a sign of weakness [cal. only]

Signalling your intent to turn is a sign of being aware that there are other vehicles on the road, which is clearly untrue in CA.

Thanks for at least trying to inform me of what I believe are UCC rules of the road. Are you somehow taking umbridge with petro for something?

Ok take this with a grain of salt. If initiating your vehicles turn signaling device means driver awareness what does it mean when they drive for miles with it blinking?

Ok, bonus question. You are stopped waiting to make a right hand turn. The vehicle approaching you from your left has their right hand signal blinking but they appear to be travelling too fast to turn, should you go ahead and pull out into the lane because they have a signal blinking? Aware that.

The signal blinking only means the signal works, it really doesn't tell you anything about the driver.

Excuse my touch of sarcasm without a tag.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
September 2nd, 2014 at 1:39:36 PM permalink

Thanks for at least trying to inform me of what I believe are UCC rules of the road. Are you somehow taking umbridge with petro for something?

Are you referring to yourself in the 3rd person, or did you accidentally post from your wrong account? ;-)

I mean that no one in CA (at least in the SF bay area) seems to be aware that there are other vehicles on the road. If they are, they certainly hide it well.

Quote:

The signal blinking only means the signal works, it really doesn't tell you anything about the driver.

It just means that they aren't sure which lever turns on their windshield wipers.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
September 2nd, 2014 at 1:45:34 PM permalink

Ok, and another one. Signalling your intent to turn is a sign of weakness

Oh, that's very dependent on the place. In Mexico City signaling your intent to turn is simply incomprehensible to all other drivers, past, present and future.

It depends on means, too. Signaling with the use of a hand might be understood by some older drivers who probably shouldn't be driving any more. Signaling with a blinking light means absolutely nothing to no one.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
petroglyph
petroglyph
September 2nd, 2014 at 2:29:00 PM permalink
Quote:

Are you referring to yourself in the 3rd person, or did you accidentally post from your wrong account? ;-)[q/]

Nah, man I have to use third person, I had to much trouble setting up just one account. Same reason I never sign out, don't know my password.

Quote:

It just means that they aren't sure which lever turns on their windshield wipers.[q/]

That is funny. It actually rains so seldom here I do forget how to turn on the friggin wipers in my wifes car. Then I get them on accidently and I'm driving around with the wipers wiping while its sunny and a buck ten outside, I may even get the turn signal on and the bright lights while trying to shut them off. Stupid wipers anyway. Its strange they wear out at least once per year and they are hardly ever used, the sun eats them right along with tires.

Back in the day, all cars were so similar a driver could transfer between a Ford or Chevy, the lights were on the dash, the turn signal was on the column and the shifter was on the other side. The ignition was easy to find as well.

My friend lent me his new pick up not long ago. He thinks he is funny too. Didn't tell me the damn thing doesn't use a key. He is probably still laughing. I drove it almost a hundred miles before I could find the cruise control, stupid volume for the radio is in the steering wheel. I got even with him though [unintentionally] He was driving with the magic key in the dash compartment and never takes it with him. When we both got out I accidently hit the doors lock button on the passenger side. It ain't as easy to get into newer vehicles with a coat hanger as it used to be.

My opinion is get rid of your car before the warranty wears out, I would sooner pay to fix a boat or an airplane than replace a steering column these days.

Side note: what do you think petro?? I think you are absolutely right on this one! petro; thanks man..appreciate your candor [1st and 3rd person having a tete a tete] What the hell if I can't get a response pretty soon I'll answer myself.

petroglyph
petroglyph
September 2nd, 2014 at 2:33:27 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Oh, that's very dependent on the place. In Mexico City signaling your intent to turn is simply incomprehensible to all other drivers, past, present and future.

It depends on means, too. Signaling with the use of a hand might be understood by some older drivers who probably shouldn't be driving any more. Signaling with a blinking light means absolutely nothing to no one.

I just love a good cab ride in Tijuana, makes me think at least partially that is why Catholicism is so popular down that way. Driving like that you need a Saint Christopher swinging from the rear view mirror and forgiveness on a regular basis.
Nareed
Nareed
September 2nd, 2014 at 3:18:40 PM permalink

I just love a good cab ride in Tijuana, makes me think at least partially that is why Catholicism is so popular down that way. Driving like that you need a Saint Christopher swinging from the rear view mirror and forgiveness on a regular basis.

Curious. All of us oh-so-sophisticated denizens of THE City have this notion the country bumpkins drive in a more civilized fashion (due, no doubt, to their lack of automotive sophistication).
Face
Administrator
Face
September 2nd, 2014 at 3:29:29 PM permalink

Back in the day, all cars were so similar a driver could transfer between a Ford or Chevy, the lights were on the dash, the turn signal was on the column and the shifter was on the other side. The ignition was easy to find as well.

Back in the day, the light switch was on the floor. The light knob was on the dash =)

Didn't tell me the damn thing doesn't use a key. He is probably still laughing. I drove it almost a hundred miles before I could find the cruise control, stupid volume for the radio is in the steering wheel. I got even with him though [unintentionally] He was driving with the magic key in the dash compartment and never takes it with him.

Funny how demographics changes a story. Up until this last sentence, I was right there with you. I, too, have owned cars without keys. But it seems your friend has one of those tricksy fobs. Swanky. My cars just had worn out ignition locks. No fobs, just a screwdriver or, more likely, a dime.
RS
RS
September 2nd, 2014 at 3:46:58 PM permalink
In high school I had one of those cars with a fob and as long as the fob is in the car, you can start it. Well I lost the fob for about 2-3 weeks during the summer. It was in my backpack in the trunk.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
September 2nd, 2014 at 3:48:40 PM permalink
This has to be the most useless feature of newer cars. I never once found inserting and turning the key to be challenging. Even while keeping my foot on the clutch! I must be talented.
petroglyph
petroglyph
September 2nd, 2014 at 3:52:21 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Curious. All of us oh-so-sophisticated denizens of THE City have this notion the country bumpkins drive in a more civilized fashion (due, no doubt, to their lack of automotive sophistication).

It seems imo it's somewhat regional.

For instance who invented NASCAR?

Way up north for ten years in the winter, I could go to end of the driveway [1/2 mile] and turn right on the highway [#1] to go get the mail and never look to the right when I got to the highway 99, times out of a hundred I didn't hit anybody. lol

Sophistication, hell I got lots of it.

Ok, this is at least part of my take on it. In Alaska driver education isn't required. Starting around halloween after several snows and freezes you can no longer see either the fog line or the center line, white or yellow,pedestrian crosswalks....all that stuff is gone till around april when the snow thaws. You just get in your car and drive, not too unlike Mexico only up north we do it without 2 million other drivers on the road at the same time.

My personal observation AK. has some of the worst drivers in the country, they can filet a mean fish but can't drive for shit. Kills the hell out of em too. Everybody goes in the ditch, everbody. Don't even try to keep running boards on the Ford, it's a waste of money and time. Just wipe them off again. Not very many fix the dents for the same reason unless it's financed. Dually pickups have got to be one of the worst. People don't realize with more tire surface on the ice the less traction you have, works the reverse on the beach sand.

Tips on winter driving: when there is a giant build up of slush and ice on the wiper blades the best thing to do is a reach out the widow manuver timed well. You grab the wiper while its in motion [as is the vehicle] and snap the wiper against the glass sort of like bra strap in junior high. Careful though realize those wipers are frozen and can cut you like a knife.

Local knowledge, same as when you are gunkholing. No replacement for local knowledge.

How's my driving?
Boney526
Boney526
  • Threads: 8
September 2nd, 2014 at 4:46:45 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

That assumes the driver in front of you is actually passing, and demonstrating progress in that regard.

What about the clods that simply match speed with the driver to their right, just daring people to challenge them?

Or pass sooooo slllloowwwwlly that there is little perception of progress in that regard?

No, guys like that are f(&%ing with you, and deserve to be f%&*ed with in return.

Well, I realize this was 7ish pages ago but since it was directly quoting me, I'll respond. I know people who feel the same way as you, and I don't really think it's unreasonable to feel that way, just that it doesn't do you any good and so I take the less agressive line, which seems to be less stressful for me. I don't really care that much if the guy taking forever costs me 15 extra seconds, sure as hell I'm not gonna let it ruin my mood.
Nareed
Nareed
September 2nd, 2014 at 4:47:06 PM permalink

For instance who invented NASCAR?

I don't suppose it was invented in Tijuana, unlike Caesar Salad.

Quote:

Ok, this is at least part of my take on it. In Alaska driver education isn't required. Starting around halloween after several snows and freezes you can no longer see either the fog line or the center line, white or yellow,pedestrian crosswalks....all that stuff is gone till around april when the snow thaws. You just get in your car and drive, not too unlike Mexico only up north we do it without 2 million other drivers on the road at the same time.

We don't get snow. If we did, no one, and I mean no one, would ever buy car insurance, because getting a new car every year would be cheaper than the premiums.

Or people would quit driving when we ran out of cars.
superrick
superrick
  • Threads: 28
September 2nd, 2014 at 5:05:27 PM permalink
Quote: VCUSkyhawk

But my point is, lets say there is a steady stream of traffic in say a two lane highway. The right lane is going a continuous 65 and I am passing them steadily in the left going 70 or just slightly over. I am using the lane for it's intended purpose. Why should I be forced to move into the right lane and go slower because the guy behind me wants to do say 80 or 85.

It all boils down to one thing if you ever had a love one killed because someone wouldn't move over and block the left lane. You would love these laws that will give someone a ticket that thinks it their right to block everybody behind them.

Move over, you could be the one that kills someone from negligence of obeying common sense laws of driving, you do not have the right to block everybody behind you and if you think you do they should take your license away. Your a danger to everybody on the road!

None of the points that you tried to make have anything to do with driving skills, because of drivers like you, they are making laws to put a stop to you causing accidents, because you think you have the right to slow everybody down! Stop driving and take the bus or cab, your a danger to society when your driving!

Every year in the Florida Keys there were people killed, just because some driver thought they had the right to stop others from passing them. The driver that was behind took a chance and went to make a pass, and not only killed his passengers, but killed the innocent driver that was heading the other way!

Laws like making you move over after passing are there for the safety of all those concerned if you don't like the law get off the road, a driver license is a privilege not a right! That is why they can take your license away if you are a dangerous driver!

Note, all my post start with this is just my opinion...! You do good brada ..! superrick Winning comes from knowledge and skill when your betting and not reading fiction http://procraps4u2.myfanforum.org/index.php ...
RS
RS
September 2nd, 2014 at 5:07:02 PM permalink
You live in Alaska, Nareed? Why not train a bunch of mooses and ride them around instead of cars? Sounds better to me.
petroglyph
petroglyph
September 2nd, 2014 at 5:12:02 PM permalink
Quote:

We don't get snow. If we did, no one, and I mean no one, would ever buy car insurance, because getting a new car every year would be cheaper than the premiums.

Or people would quit driving when we ran out of cars.[q/]

I worked in the mid 90's from Riverside Calif, down to San Diego in a lot of country and housing developments. Marveling at the steepness of some of their driveways and after enduring some freeway with them, I thought justice would be served with a good 6 inches of snow.

It is best served cold you know.

VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
  • Threads: 21
September 2nd, 2014 at 5:14:17 PM permalink
Quote: superrick

It all boils down to one thing if you ever had a love one killed because someone wouldn't move over and block the left lane. You would love these laws that will give someone a ticket that thinks it their right to block everybody behind them.

Move over, you could be the one that kills someone from negligence of obeying common sense laws of driving, you do not have the right to block everybody behind you and if you think you do they should take your license away. Your a danger to everybody on the road!

None of the points that you tried to make have anything to do with driving skills, because of drivers like you, they are making laws to put a stop to you causing accidents, because you think you have the right to slow everybody down! Stop driving and take the bus or cab, your a danger to society when your driving!

Every year in the Florida Keys there were people killed, just because some driver thought they had the right to stop others from passing them. The driver that was behind took a chance and went to make a pass, and not only killed his passengers, but killed the innocent driver that was heading the other way!

Laws like making you move over after passing are there for the safety of all those concerned if you don't like the law get off the road, a driver license is a privilege not a right! That is why they can take your license away if you are a dangerous driver!

I don't even know how to respond to this. This is the most insane logic I have ever heard. It does not even need rebutting.
I got a plan, we take all your picks we reverse them like one of those twilight zone episodes where everything is the opposite. You say "black" we go white.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 2nd, 2014 at 5:36:29 PM permalink

Suppose I'm going 80. If you are in front of me going 60 I will just pass you. But if you are in front of me going 78 or 79 I will probably just slow down a little bit when I catch up to you, probably without really noticing. This will naturally cause clumps to form as cars catch up to slightly slower cars. As the clumps get bigger, passing becomes more difficult, so now people who are going quite a bit faster than the clump will join it if they can't get around it.

Good point. I'm sure that has a lot to do with it on two-lane highways, where passing is hard. However, I've spent way too much of my life stuck in four/five-lane L.A. traffic jams when traffic ranges from 0 to 30 MPH. You still see these clumps all the time. My suspicion is each clump is caused by some minor thing, like somebody tapping on the brake, and it snowballs.
  • Jump to: