mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
  • Threads: 62
August 26th, 2014 at 6:07:59 AM permalink
I just bought a new kindle book called "I'll Do My Own Damn Killin' about Benny Binion and the Texas gambling wars. I'm just through the first few chapters and it's turning out to be a pretty good read.

Within the first few pages Benny talked about the "money craps" games of his youth. This brought back memories as I played money craps in my teenage years in Mississippi. These were not traditionally banked games and we played them wherever the grownups couldn't find us. Whoever held the dice announced how much he was willing to bet. The first fader could take all, a part or nothing of the action. The next fader could do the same.

Benny talked about noticing that some players consistently won while others consistently lost. He said certain faders won the money and they rarely rolled the dice themselves. I know why those faders won the money because, like I said, I played the game in my youth. Benny didn't mention why those faders won but I remember that the 12 wasn't barred on the comeout roll.

Of course, I wish I would have known the math back then.
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
August 26th, 2014 at 6:29:34 AM permalink
TWO new books out there on Benny Binion? I just ordered Blood Aces: The Wild Ride of Benny Binion, the Texas Gangster Who Created Vegas Poker but I haven't got it yet. Fascinating character, Benny. Saw your book on Amazon; it's been out a couple years and available as used paperbacks for $31, and new hardcover for $59...youch!
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
August 26th, 2014 at 6:41:01 AM permalink
Quote: mickeycrimm

certain faders won the money and they rarely rolled the dice themselves... the 12 wasn't barred on the comeout roll

nice advantage play alright.

now, I don't know if it's true, but I have heard that you could* look to make side bets after a number was up to resolve and find bettors who didn't know the odds. But Damon Runyon anyway has his characters feeling a strong need to know the odds in the "5 ways to win, 6 ways to lose" method.

past tense. I really assume that this is all a thing of the past, or at least finding safe games where your life and property are not in danger - but also where the cops are letting it go. A desirable combination perhaps Binion had in his day to some degree
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
August 26th, 2014 at 12:23:24 PM permalink
If only "fader of street dice games" was still a profession....
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
August 26th, 2014 at 1:33:17 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

You mean "The World Series of Dice" isn't a professional event? :D
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
August 26th, 2014 at 1:42:56 PM permalink

The margins must be higher with meth, instead of math?
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
August 26th, 2014 at 1:50:34 PM permalink

The games still exist so I guess it could be a profession. Perhaps not the safest profession out there...
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
August 26th, 2014 at 1:51:31 PM permalink
If you don't mind taking bets from unsavory types you could make a killing. Most of those home team sports bettors out on the streets don't give a damn about odds.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
August 26th, 2014 at 2:38:28 PM permalink
Quote: djatc

If you don't mind taking bets from unsavory types you could make a killing. Most of those home team sports bettors out on the streets don't give a damn about odds.

Talk about finding welshers doing this.
I am a robot.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
August 26th, 2014 at 3:01:13 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

The games still exist so I guess it could be a profession. Perhaps not the safest profession out there...

It's been about 40 years now but there were five men found dead in a barn in the Mississippi Delta. The only thing that came out about them was they were known craps players and carried lots of cash. I imagine one of their own did the hijacking then did them in. Someone who knew their movements and secret locations for their games. As far as I know the murders went unsolved.
petroglyph
petroglyph
August 26th, 2014 at 3:10:11 PM permalink

It's been about 40 years now but there were five men found dead in a barn in the Mississippi Delta. The only thing that came out about them was they were known craps players and carried lots of cash. I imagine one of their own did the hijacking then did them in. Someone who knew their movements and secret locations for their games. As far as I know the murders went unsolved.

Well you seem to know a lot about it for someone who wasn't even there J/K

correction; would have us believe he wasn't there, what's the title for this thread anyway
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
August 26th, 2014 at 4:39:01 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

Well you seem to know a lot about it for someone who wasn't even there J/K correction; would have us believe he wasn't there, what's the title for this thread anyway

It was in all the news media at the time. I really don't know if the case was ever solved. Us kids played for chump change because that's all we ever had. We never got invited to the big games. After those killings we pretty much quit playing. I imagine that those murders did more to eliminate the illegal money craps games in Mississippi than anything the law ever did.
petroglyph
petroglyph
August 26th, 2014 at 5:32:30 PM permalink

It was in all the news media at the time. I really don't know if the case was ever solved. Us kids played for chump change because that's all we ever had. We never got invited to the big games. After those killings we pretty much quit playing. I imagine that those murders did more to eliminate the illegal money craps games in Mississippi than anything the law ever did.

Could have been the wrong party collecting the vig?
  • Jump to: