Eaglesnest
Eaglesnest
Joined: Jul 29, 2014
  • Threads: 6
  • Posts: 125
August 23rd, 2014 at 12:47:46 AM permalink
Given that Hitler and Nazism had such a major impact on the entire world, it is inevitable that many discussions of otherwise unrelated topics will contain a reference to, comparison to, or metaphor using Hitler/Nazism. Despite the commonplace nature of this phenomenon, and despite the fact that even remarking on it is silly, an internet meme called "Godwin's Law" has slithered onto the scene. It is hyperbole at best and rank stupidity at worst (the vast majority of discussions, on the web and off, do not ever touch on Hitler/Nazism). Because it is stupid, however, it is ubiquitous (the internet is a vast cesspool of clichéd and reflexive thinking), leading to Eaglesnest's Law:

It is a virtual certainty that whenever Hitler or Nazism are mentioned on an internet discussion board, someone will INSTANTLY respond with an invocation of "Godwin's 'Law' "--which will, as Elmer Fudd would often remark about Bugs Bunny, "seem vewy cwever" to the person making said response.

(It's along the same lines of the person who is in a restaurant when a waiter drops and breaks some dishes, glasses, etc. and instantly bellows "MAZELTOV!" What a thigh-slapping, chortle-inducing, original witticism!)
Gandler
Gandler
Joined: Jan 27, 2014
  • Threads: 35
  • Posts: 1795
August 23rd, 2014 at 1:44:27 AM permalink
Quote: Eaglesnest

Given that Hitler and Nazism had such a major impact on the entire world, it is inevitable that many discussions of otherwise unrelated topics will contain a reference to, comparison to, or metaphor using Hitler/Nazism. Despite the commonplace nature of this phenomenon, and despite the fact that even remarking on it is silly, an internet meme called "Godwin's Law" has slithered onto the scene. It is hyperbole at best and rank stupidity at worst (the vast majority of discussions, on the web and off, do not ever touch on Hitler/Nazism). Because it is stupid, however, it is ubiquitous (the internet is a vast cesspool of clichéd and reflexive thinking), leading to Eaglesnest's Law:

It is a virtual certainty that whenever Hitler or Nazism are mentioned on an internet discussion board, someone will INSTANTLY respond with an invocation of "Godwin's 'Law' "--which will, as Elmer Fudd would often remark about Bugs Bunny, "seem vewy cwever" to the person making said response.

(It's along the same lines of the person who is in a restaurant when a waiter drops and breaks some dishes, glasses, etc. and instantly bellows "MAZELTOV!" What a thigh-slapping, chortle-inducing, original witticism!)



I agree, there are a lot of idiots that whenever they disagree with you will throw the Nazi slur at you. It does not happen so much on this board. But I have had one joker message me some time ago (after defending a casino in some scenerio) that I "would be the type of sheep that would support the Nazis too" or something along those lines. Oh well, there are not so politically astute people on every forum...

If somebody makes ridiculous accusations it's best just to ignore them.... People throwing out the race card and other slurs is very much the same concept... the best remedy is just to ignore those type of people, they can't win an argument so they just make extremist accusations...
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
  • Threads: 212
  • Posts: 8277
August 23rd, 2014 at 2:03:59 AM permalink
Can you explain your law in English?
I am a robot.
Gandler
Gandler
Joined: Jan 27, 2014
  • Threads: 35
  • Posts: 1795
August 23rd, 2014 at 2:09:33 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Can you explain your law in English?


He's proposing a rebuttal to anytime somebody posts "you sound like a Nazi".
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
  • Threads: 212
  • Posts: 8277
August 23rd, 2014 at 2:35:27 AM permalink
Quote: Gandler

He's proposing a rebuttal to anytime somebody posts "you sound like a Nazi".

Too wordy and unnecessary.

History always gets repeated, can't do anything to stop it for the long run. Not by human beings anyways. Things can look fine line by line, then when you read the whole book, you see the problem.
I am a robot.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
Joined: Jun 13, 2014
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 2262
August 23rd, 2014 at 2:46:15 AM permalink
I thought he was proposing a pre-emptive rebuttal to the invocation of Godwin's Law.

Which of course is just what Francisco Franco would do. Is he still dead?
Suck dope, watch TV, make up stuff, be somebody on the internet.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 14484
August 23rd, 2014 at 4:40:23 AM permalink
Quote: DrawingDead

just what Francisco Franco would do. Is he still dead?

Last I heard his condition is grave.
And why is this thread not in DT?
And warning to all. There is to be diversity....... so for every anti nazi slur there must be a pro nazi slur posted.
djatc
djatc
Joined: Jan 15, 2013
  • Threads: 83
  • Posts: 4477
August 23rd, 2014 at 5:54:27 AM permalink
Y'all are a bunch of Nazi facists and I am a bigot
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
24Bingo
24Bingo
Joined: Jul 4, 2012
  • Threads: 23
  • Posts: 1348
August 23rd, 2014 at 6:49:38 AM permalink
The reason it's not true anymore is because people started making fun of it, and rightly so.

The thing is, although Hitler truly did shape our collective psyche, bringing him into a conversation brings everything he did into a conversation, when very, very rarely is the person you're talking to all that likely to attempt ethnic cleansing or world conquest. It's an attempt to short-circuit reason and push emotional buttons; there are few cases indeed where there's actually a coherent point being made, other than "vaguely reminiscent of Hitler if you squint, therefore bad." In those few cases, I think you'll find people don't bring up Godwin's Law.
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
MrV
MrV
Joined: Feb 13, 2010
  • Threads: 362
  • Posts: 8117
August 23rd, 2014 at 7:14:18 AM permalink
I wonder if ANYBODY has named their son "Adolph" since WWII ended?

Certainly I have never run across an "Adolph" in America.
"What, me worry?"
terapined
terapined
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
  • Threads: 88
  • Posts: 6006
August 23rd, 2014 at 8:09:58 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

I wonder if ANYBODY has named their son "Adolph" since WWII ended?

Certainly I have never run across an "Adolph" in America.



White spremacists. I dont know but I would imagine they wouldn't have a problem with the name.
tringlomane
tringlomane
Joined: Aug 25, 2012
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 6281
August 23rd, 2014 at 11:47:55 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

I wonder if ANYBODY has named their son "Adolph" since WWII ended?

Certainly I have never run across an "Adolph" in America.



The table games director at Resorts Tunica is named "Adolph". He looks younger than 70, and he had his name and picture plastered all over billboards in Tunica promoting his "blackjack tournaments".

http://schiffer.casinocitytimes.com/article/resorts-tunica-hosts-big-money-blackjack-tournament-62939
Daddydoc
Daddydoc
Joined: Jun 22, 2014
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 153
August 23rd, 2014 at 1:28:42 PM permalink
I was thinking Dolph Lundgren, but he was apparently born Hans Lundgren, per Wikipedia. Does that make it worse? He chose the name himself.

And there is a dentist in my town named Adolph (goes by "Al"). Still working, so I can't imagine that he's older than 70.
If government is the answer, it must have been a very stupid question.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit 
Joined: Nov 9, 2009
  • Threads: 326
  • Posts: 9524
August 23rd, 2014 at 1:51:15 PM permalink
Hey, don't forget Michael Jordan tried to bring back the Hitler mustache.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Zcore13
Zcore13
Joined: Nov 30, 2009
  • Threads: 41
  • Posts: 3804
August 23rd, 2014 at 3:03:17 PM permalink
Now that I think of it, I haven't seen anyone named Darth since the 70's rolled around and ruined that name.


ZCore13
I am an employee of a Casino. Former Table Games Director,, current Pit Supervisor. All the personal opinions I post are my own and do not represent the opinions of the Casino or Tribe that I work for.
GWAE
GWAE
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 9854
August 23rd, 2014 at 11:21:48 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

I wonder if ANYBODY has named their son "Adolph" since WWII ended?

Certainly I have never run across an "Adolph" in America.



For some reason I am thinking that I read you are not allowed to use that name. Or maybe you are not allowed to change your last name to Hitler. I can't remember.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
  • Threads: 212
  • Posts: 8277
August 23rd, 2014 at 11:54:37 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

For some reason I am thinking that I read you are not allowed to use that name. Or maybe you are not allowed to change your last name to Hitler. I can't remember.

Some kid was named Adolph Hitler and his parents were accused of child cause for it, but it's all I remember.
I am a robot.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 28561
August 24th, 2014 at 12:26:35 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Some kid was named Adolph Hitler and his parents were accused of child cause for it, but it's all I remember.



It's Adolf, not 'Adolph', why is everybody spelling
it wrong. You've never seen his name written
down before?
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
  • Threads: 212
  • Posts: 8277
August 24th, 2014 at 12:53:19 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

It's Adolf, not 'Adolph', why is everybody spelling
it wrong. You've never seen his name written
down before?

Sorry mein furer fuhrer.
I am a robot.
Eaglesnest
Eaglesnest
Joined: Jul 29, 2014
  • Threads: 6
  • Posts: 125
August 24th, 2014 at 1:37:15 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

For some reason I am thinking that I read you are not allowed to use that name. Or maybe you are not allowed to change your last name to Hitler. I can't remember.



One running gag in the 90s (?) cop drama "Hill Street Blues" was the recurring character, a comic named "Vic Hitler." He was continually a failure because of his name, though there was apparently nothing wrong with his material.

"Hitler" wasn't all that uncommon of a name in Austria back then. It meant "someone who lives near an underground river/spring." I suspect that quite a few people got legal name changes after 1945.
Eaglesnest
Eaglesnest
Joined: Jul 29, 2014
  • Threads: 6
  • Posts: 125
August 24th, 2014 at 1:38:57 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Can you explain your law in English?



I already did so. Would you prefer German?
odiousgambit
odiousgambit 
Joined: Nov 9, 2009
  • Threads: 326
  • Posts: 9524
August 24th, 2014 at 3:36:03 AM permalink
Quote: Eaglesnest

I already did so. Would you prefer German?



Es ist so gut wie sicher, dass, wenn Hitler oder den Nationalsozialismus sind auf einem Internet-Diskussionsforum erwähnt, jemand wird sofort mit einem Aufruf von "Godwin" Gesetz "" --which wird, wie Elmer Fudd oft Bemerkung über Bugs Bunny zu reagieren ", scheinen vewy cwever ", um die Person, die die Antwort.

[as google translate would have it]
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 22246
August 24th, 2014 at 3:44:28 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

Es ist so gut wie sicher, dass, wenn Hitler oder den Nationalsozialismus sind auf einem Internet-Diskussionsforum erwähnt, jemand wird sofort mit einem Aufruf von "Godwin" Gesetz "" --which wird, wie Elmer Fudd oft Bemerkung über Bugs Bunny zu reagieren ", scheinen vewy cwever ", um die Person, die die Antwort.

[as google translate would have it]

Lets pretend this is a Vegas poker room. And no you can not be the dealer or the house.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
odiousgambit
odiousgambit 
Joined: Nov 9, 2009
  • Threads: 326
  • Posts: 9524
August 24th, 2014 at 3:51:20 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

Lets pretend this is a Vegas poker room.



Good, 'cuz somehow "die die Antwort" doesn't look right.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
24Bingo
24Bingo
Joined: Jul 4, 2012
  • Threads: 23
  • Posts: 1348
August 24th, 2014 at 11:24:12 AM permalink
Quote: Eaglesnest

"Hitler" wasn't all that uncommon of a name in Austria back then. It meant "someone who lives near an underground river/spring." I suspect that quite a few people got legal name changes after 1945.



Not really. It's a variant of the more common "Hiedler." Alois Hitler, who had been illegitimate, took on the name of his mother's eventual husband (who probably was his father anyway) in adulthood, and nineteenth-century paperwork being what it was, the spelling was corrupted. I don't know of a Hitler, spelled that way, who's not a descendant of Alois.
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 22246
August 24th, 2014 at 12:04:50 PM permalink
Quote: 24Bingo

Not really. It's a variant of the more common "Hiedler." Alois Hitler, who had been illegitimate, took on the name of his mother's eventual husband (who probably was his father anyway) in adulthood, and nineteenth-century paperwork being what it was, the spelling was corrupted. I don't know of a Hitler, spelled that way, who's not a descendant of Alois.

someone got Schooled.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Eaglesnest
Eaglesnest
Joined: Jul 29, 2014
  • Threads: 6
  • Posts: 125
August 24th, 2014 at 11:33:51 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

someone got Schooled.



Was it you, Axel?

Actually, "Hitler," "Heidtler," "Heidler," etc. would all be regional spelling variations of the same name. Even as late as the latter part of the 19th century, in Germany as elsewhere, spelling was not standardized. As in Smith/Schmidt/Schmitt, etc.

Actually, I do speak, read and write German fairly well--but boy, does Google Translate louse things up.
Eaglesnest
Eaglesnest
Joined: Jul 29, 2014
  • Threads: 6
  • Posts: 125
August 24th, 2014 at 11:38:32 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

Good, 'cuz somehow "die die Antwort" doesn't look right.



It's actually an OK construct. The first "die" is the relative pronoun (who/that); the second is the definite article (the, feminine). "The person who has the answer" would be in German word order "the person who the answer has"--causing the odd-to-us-sounding juxtaposition of the pronoun and the article.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
  • Threads: 212
  • Posts: 8277
August 25th, 2014 at 12:06:46 AM permalink
I still don't think this hitler nazi thing comes up often enough to care about some lame defenses nobody will understand. What have you begun a wikipedia page already for them to look up or for you to cite when they call you "you know who?"
I am a robot.

  • Jump to: