DavidGrant
DavidGrant
  • Threads: 2
May 6th, 2014 at 2:31:29 PM permalink
I know it's a sad situation to see all the homeless in Las Vegas but sometimes there is humour in the situation.
On my last trip ( march 2014) crossing from Ceasers Palace to Flamingo a guy was sitting in the middle of the bridge with a sign. Usual stuff homeless hungry etc.

As i approached he looked around seen there were no kids about and turned over his sign.

NEED MONEY FOR BOOZE AND HOOKERS.

Everyone passing by had a good laugh and put a dollar or two in his cup.
Also made a good story back home.

Any good natured stories.

David
MangoJ
MangoJ
  • Threads: 10
May 6th, 2014 at 2:57:29 PM permalink
That is actually quite clever.

My personal policy is never to give money but to ask first what they need it for. If it is food, water or a bus ride or something else readily available I take them with me and buy it for them. That way you will know pretty fast if it is actual alcoholics they're after.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
  • Threads: 62
May 9th, 2014 at 7:34:10 AM permalink
Offer one of them sign workers a job and see what their response is. The sign makes them more money than you can pay. And the tools are cheap, a magic marker and a piece of cardboard.
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
ncfatcat
ncfatcat
  • Threads: 2
May 9th, 2014 at 7:52:16 AM permalink
I've seen that one with the tag line "Hey at Least I'm not Bullsh**ing You". My Current favorite is "Need Money - Kids Kidnapped by Ninja's"
Gambling is a metaphor for life. Hang around long enough and it's all gone.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
May 9th, 2014 at 8:27:53 AM permalink
Since they usually get welfare or disability payments a job would really have to pay them a fortune to be desirable.

Many newspapers from time to time conduct "surveys" of how much panhandlers can make but they are brief stints and probably biased samples. However notable NYC panhandlers have left fortunes. Rainy days send all beggars to shelter since no one stops in the rain to donate to them, brokerage houses used to have rows of seats and some beggars actually learned the market and opened accounts.

Some beggars have team captains and live in dormitories and beg in assigned areas. Its a segment of the "job market" like anything else.
  • Jump to: