10 votes (16.94%)

59 members have voted

Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 133
February 16th, 2014 at 8:37:34 AM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

Lyndon Johnson ..
" You do not take a person who, for years, has been hobbled by chains and liberate him, bring him up to the starting line of a race and then say, "you are free to compete with all the others," and still justly believe that you have been completely fair. "

True, but the subjugated individuals are mostly dead, now, the playing field is mostly level. The game still sucks, but the playing field is level.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Mission146
Mission146
February 16th, 2014 at 8:40:41 AM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

Considering there are only a few women on this site…how about asking men what their perception of this behavior is?

Not from here, an external study with a larger sample size. The opinion of men is immaterial to the question and is an automatic non-sequitur. That is, unless, men are capable of reading the collective minds of women.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Mission146
Mission146
February 16th, 2014 at 8:49:49 AM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

Although they cannot make war, print currency or engage in foreign relations (other than with the feds) - so, how sovereign are they really?

Not very, we could choose to make them pay taxes and there isn't a whole lot they could do about it, but they are still legally a sovereign nation. The problem they have is no other countries would step in and attack us if we were aggressive to them, so they are very limited in their ability to do anything about whatever it is we want to do to them, which is a shame for those of them who truly reject our ideals.

Imagine a small country were located in the Atlantic Ocean within a few miles of us, and not Cuba, because Cuba has allies. Imagine a make-believe country located there and with no Allies, if we were to step in there and say, "You will use American currency from this point forward, or we will kill every last one of you," there wouldn't really be much such a country could do without a bigger country willing to step in and defend them. It doesn't change the fact that they are a different country, though.
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
February 16th, 2014 at 8:51:33 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Not very, we could choose to make them pay taxes and there isn't a whole lot they could do about it, but they are still legally a sovereign nation. The problem they have is no other countries would step in and attack us if we were aggressive to them, so they are very limited in their ability to do anything about whatever it is we want to do to them, which is a shame for those of them who truly reject our ideals.

Imagine a small country were located in the Atlantic Ocean within a few miles of us, and not Cuba, because Cuba has allies. Imagine a make-believe country located there and with no Allies, if we were to step in there and say, "You will use American currency from this point forward, or we will kill every last one of you," there wouldn't really be much such a country could do without a bigger country willing to step in and defend them. It doesn't change the fact that they are a different country, though.

Agreed - throughout history land is taken, lost, re-take and lost again - it is just a cycle of changing sovereigns. The Romans once thought they were invincible too.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
February 16th, 2014 at 8:52:08 AM permalink

True, but the subjugated individuals are mostly dead, now, the playing field is mostly level. The game still sucks, but the playing field is level.

When Lyndon said that it was the 60's. Different time and different place. But the biggest block to a qualified permission not being admitted to College today is not affirmative action, but legacy programs. Heading out to take grand kids to church. When I get back. will discuss Aces of Spades reply.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
soxfan
soxfan
  • Threads: 9
February 16th, 2014 at 8:54:59 AM permalink
Some of you cats seem destined to remain forever clueless about women, hey hey.
" Life is a well of joy; but where the rabble drinks too, all wells are poisoned!" Nietzsche
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
February 16th, 2014 at 9:09:20 AM permalink
Quote: soxfan

LOL & +1
Fighting BS one post at a time!
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
February 16th, 2014 at 9:12:12 AM permalink
Quote: soxfan

I'm not a cat...I'm a dogg :-)
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
February 16th, 2014 at 9:14:37 AM permalink

I hereby publicly apologize to Roger and offer a, "Get Out of Jail Free Card," good for one day off any future ban. I've actually met Roger in person, and he's one Hell of a nice guy, but obviously, I couldn't let that impact my decision.

Since I have a get out of jail free card, I'm going to use this opportunity to tell this Hot Blonde character how I REALLY feel. I'm putting this profanity-laden rant in spoiler tags.

Nah, jk. I agree with the Wizard and will try to be more gentlemanly.
100% risk of ruin
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
February 16th, 2014 at 9:17:49 AM permalink

I have mentioned that I felt it might be better for individuals to not vote at all (if not voting for JuicieJennie) .

I respectfully disagree. I will lump this in to unintended consequences. If I am going to take the time to follow a link that she provides (which I never did) then I have the right to make another selection if I so choose to.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW

• Jump to: