onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
December 24th, 2013 at 9:45:25 AM permalink
If you have a favorite coffee cup, you want to use it, but if you use it, you risk breaking it. Is there any wisdom for an optimal strategy to use it. I was going to post a few days ago, but the new kitten knocked it off the counter during a period of chaos elsewhere. It's broken now of course. Days earlier I had made my mind up I should just use it as much as possible thinking breaking is inevitable and all I can control is use and I should use it as much as wanted.
I am a robot.
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
December 24th, 2013 at 10:01:53 AM permalink
It's the same conundrum as your star basketball player picking up some early fouls. Now do you have to sit him?

Here is what I think.

If you don't use the cup out of fear of it breaking, it's like it's already broken. There's no utility in saving it, unless you have some occasion that is much more valuable to you than normal.

If you don't play your star player, it's like he has already fouled out. Unless you think the last few minutes of the game are more important than the rest. (I don't.)

If you don't use your heart for fear of it being broken, you have already lost at love.
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
December 24th, 2013 at 10:09:54 AM permalink
I agree with Soda, not using it for fear of breakage means it is broken already, unless you really like to look at it only.

Use it, enjoy its bountiful harvests every day and perhaps never lose sight that material possessions are fleeting in nature and can always be replaced, unlike memories of the good old times.

Or you can always put a nickel in a jar every time you use your favorite cup. When your cup invariably breaks you have a little bank to purchase a new cup or try to find an identical one and the purchase won't seem quite so big because you have saved up for it.
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
  • Threads: 11
December 24th, 2013 at 10:40:09 AM permalink
Step 1, kill the cats.
WASHOO2
WASHOO2
  • Threads: 2
December 24th, 2013 at 10:50:41 AM permalink
May the cat rest in peace.
mrclean
mrclean
  • Threads: 8
December 24th, 2013 at 1:24:43 PM permalink
I'm sure game theory has an answer to this but I'm no game theory expert.

Using a coffee mug is a negative expectation activity. While you may successfully use the mug on any occasion over time you will lose the mug. It may be a slow loss through chips and cracks developing over time. Or it may be a catastrophic loss via a kitten with a grudge.

Even if you don't use the mug and choose to always keep it in the cupboard it could be destroyed by a fire or a Donnie Darkoesque accident like a plane engine falling from the sky and destroying your house.

The way I see it you have 2 options:

1. Don't play the game. Convince the U.S. gov't to keep the mug in one of those Fort Knox vaults that previously housed the government's gold reserves. Being empty I'm guessing you could rent one for a few bucks a month.

2. Implement a hedge system to reduce your risk of ruin. My suggestion is to store the mug in a fire and blast proof vault when not in use. I suggest something that incorporates the TankHead door. When using the mug attach a shock proof bubble wrap to reduce the risk of breakage.

Conversley, you could always adopt a zen approach to the issue.

The General's Antique.

EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 20
December 24th, 2013 at 2:47:54 PM permalink
When I play in chess tournaments, I bring along the most expensive wooden chess set I own. (Which is only worth a couple hundred bucks.) I figure, what the hell. I'd rather bring it and enjoy it and use it than just having it sit at home, collecting dust.

However, I know many other players feel differently. Most players bring along their cheap, plastic set, not wanting to risk scratching or otherwise harming the nicer sets I know they probably have at home.

On a s o m e w h a t related note, I have pencils with the name of every NFL team printed on them, in the team's colors. Actually, I have all 32 of the teams except for one... my favorite team, the Dallas Cowboys. You see, I did have this pencil but I wanted to keep this pencil in a "special place." Alas, this was a few years ago and I have no idea where that special place is... I haven't seen this pencil in years. :)
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
December 26th, 2013 at 4:58:06 PM permalink
Quote: mrclean

I'm sure game theory has an answer to this but I'm no game theory expert.

The rest of your post is really nice but game theory itself typically involves two or more agents (players). Its use here would not be appropriate.

Quote: EdCollins

Alas, this was a few years ago and I have no idea where that special place is... I haven't seen this pencil in years. :)

Well done sir ;)
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
December 26th, 2013 at 6:09:21 PM permalink
I think it depends on how replaceable the cup is. If you have a coffee cup that is difficult to replace or has sentimental value, then I would use it only sparingly on special occasions but not everyday.

If the cup is easily replaceable then enjoy it!
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
December 26th, 2013 at 11:19:55 PM permalink
There is true wisdom in this little story, MrClean. I like it. +100

It does remind me of BoyToy Muscle Cars that are kitted these days. Everyone wants a Shelby Replicar, or 426-Hemi, or T-Bucket, or Willys Lead-Sled. Now if you live in the Mid-West, fine... open road, and let'er rip. Over here in BosNyWash, not so great, one winds up looking at it and showing it more than its driving destiny.

But then again I do like Ariel Atoms .
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
December 26th, 2013 at 11:29:29 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

I think it depends on how replaceable the cup is. If you have a coffee cup that is difficult to replace or has sentimental value, then I would use it only sparingly on special occasions but not everyday.

If the cup is easily replaceable then enjoy it!

My brother got it in the Bahamas, so it was hard to replace due to travel, though it was made in China. I did try to use it sparingly even though it does just delay the inevitable, but when I said life is short, it broke shortly after. There always is another favorite coffee cup which replaces the broken ones before you know it.
I am a robot.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
December 26th, 2013 at 11:32:45 PM permalink
MR. CLEAN. CAN'T SEE THE CARTOON ON MY PHONE, BUT LOOK FORWARD TO READING IT ONCE I GET TO A COMPUTER. JUST HOPE I DON'T FORGET.
I am a robot.
  • Jump to: