Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
December 12th, 2013 at 12:25:26 AM permalink
This I don't get, some bullsh*t artist giving totally fake sign language at a major world leader's memorial. Front and Center - on center stage. President Obama was right behind this guy for a while.

If you watch and look closely, he just repeats some b.s. hand flaps: flapping opening hands, fist pump to the heart, wiggle the fingers, etc., all with a deadly serious face of import. Could have had the third base coach of the Baltimore Orioles (or Adam Sandler) there signal a hit-and-run play right next to the world's leaders. WTF.

I hope there's a detail account of that whole event, the details would make a good story.
Who was he?
What was he thinking?
What was with security on this? Weren't there Background checks and guest list verifications?
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
December 12th, 2013 at 12:42:56 AM permalink
I think its great. Just what you'd expect from a 3rd
world craphole where the average person lives on
$2 a day. They got $2 a day worth of security clearance.

Perfect.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
December 12th, 2013 at 12:55:11 AM permalink
Quote:

He did not know what triggered the attack, Jantjie added, saying he took medication for his schizophrenia

He said he was hearing voices. Who knows, but I suppose that could be the result if you did sign language for a living and have episodes of mental illness.

At least it was non violent. There was that lady in congress during the government shutdown who went a bit crazy on camera in c-span and they dragged her off. She worked there in some function.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/12/21871429-sign-language-interpreter-at-mandela-memorial-i-was-hallucinating-hearing-voices?lite
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
December 12th, 2013 at 1:19:48 AM permalink
1. I wonder if SNL/Saturday Night Live will riff on this.

2. You'd think they'd use a closed-caption setup where both the deaf and the hearing can clearly witness and verify the addresses given.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
rob45
rob45
  • Threads: 2
December 12th, 2013 at 4:25:02 AM permalink
Only one explanation for the nonsense: The teleprompter was drunk.
tournamentking
tournamentking
  • Threads: 2
December 12th, 2013 at 4:37:56 AM permalink
Well I thought it was for real until the caper was uncovered. Then I thought it was just another agreed-to smokescreen to take Obamacare pressure off the president. Probably just more third world crap that Letterman and Leno will make fun of though.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
December 12th, 2013 at 4:51:47 AM permalink
This belongs in the top ten list of greatest pranks ever.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
December 12th, 2013 at 5:12:55 AM permalink
I love how this guy is sticking with it. He's a "sign language champion." He's "never had a complaint before." He knows there's video, right? Like, people who actually know South African sign language actually watched what he did??
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
December 12th, 2013 at 6:37:05 AM permalink
Apparently very few people sign in S. Africa. The people that hire people that can supposedly sign don't know how to sign. It's a way to make a few quick bucks for somebody that knows a few hand signals. Dude is just trying to make a living. Eventually he'll get better. Nothing like a little on the job training.

I'm sorry but this is really funny stuff.......SNL, Colbert, etc..... should have a party with this material but will have to be careful...... PC you know.
Each day is better than the next
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
December 12th, 2013 at 7:07:05 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

This belongs in the top ten list of greatest pranks ever.

I'd love it if the guy really was a world-class con artist with a sense of humor.

Quote: rdw4potus

South African sign language

I had to look this up. I was under the impression that there was only one sign language, or only a few. Wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sign_languages
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
December 12th, 2013 at 7:26:46 AM permalink
This is my country so I know a little bit about how this could have happened. It is called Nepotism, giving the job to your cousin and paying him a huge professional fee even though you have no idea if he is qualified or not.

This is what South Africa has become under ANC rule. I'm not going to make this a political thread because that isn't my deal. Suffice to say that in the last year the country has (reportedly) lost approximately $8.3 billion to corruption........

Make of it what you will, it is an absolute embarrassment to us.
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
December 12th, 2013 at 7:36:13 AM permalink
In South Africa, ALL eleven language groups there standardize on just one common South African Sign language system.
He's a con artist; he got paid $85 for the service.

Said he had a psychotic break on the podium, and "should be shown compassion," but video shows him to be of tight composure, and of just "playing the part."

Conned everyone on the world's stage - until later exposed.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
December 12th, 2013 at 7:42:42 AM permalink
Quote: Paigowdan

that URL .

Holy Cow, the guy says he loses it and gets violent sometimes! No wonder people keep recoiling at the thought of all those world leaders right next to him.

What irony it is if Obama was under danger only there, after skating by all the death threats he has gotten in the US. But I suspect the guy said it "for effect"

PS:
Quote:

(also in article) In an apparent security failure, police did not search the first wave of crowds arriving at the stadium

the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
December 12th, 2013 at 7:50:13 AM permalink
I only read one report of this fiasco prior to seeing this thread. Is the guy still claiming that he is a legitimate interpreter? If so, I think he should be shown a (silent) video of his work and be asked to translate it back to verbal form. That should be good for a laugh or two.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
December 12th, 2013 at 8:32:00 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
December 12th, 2013 at 9:39:51 AM permalink
Hey hey hey! I bet that sign language interpreter was confused because he was trying to sign Obama's birth certificate off the Obamacare teleprompter but he doesn't speak Kenyan or Benghazi.

Did I miss any of the other things that the dimmeratti say about Obama?
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
December 12th, 2013 at 9:46:35 AM permalink
Quote: Tomspur

Make of it what you will, it is an absolute embarrassment to us.

No worries, Hawaii, Wolf Power, Horse Chestnut, Epi Tombe among others make up for this hilarious misstep.
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
December 12th, 2013 at 10:26:43 AM permalink
Quote: treetopbuddy

No worries, Hawaii, Wolf Power, Horse Chestnut, Epi Tombe among others make up for this hilarious misstep.

Pity Horse Chestnut got injured. He would have been competitive in the Breeders Cup.

Ipi Tombi was a freak of nature. She was originally purchased in Zimbabwe for $30 USD :)

This sign language fool now says he suffers from Schizophrenic delusions. He says he actually saw angels come into the stadium and it freaked him out, therefore he wasn't signing correctly................

I'm so sad to be South African today :(
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
JLA
JLA
  • Threads: 0
December 12th, 2013 at 4:38:02 PM permalink
Maybe his hands just had a really thick accent...
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
December 12th, 2013 at 4:44:08 PM permalink
Quote: JLA

Maybe his hands just had a really thick accent...

lol......his hands blew .23 BAC
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
December 12th, 2013 at 7:04:24 PM permalink
+1

I think he's a NSA security-plant. :P
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
KB1
KB1
  • Threads: 3
December 12th, 2013 at 8:58:50 PM permalink
Mandela was a great guy.
This is a funny yet sad story.
This will be SNL's opening this Saturday,I'd bet the house payment on it!(but I said Canello would beat Mayweather too.)
Stop Laughing.

Isn't this ironic? South Africa Bullshited the Bullshiters.

We can't even do that here.
  • Jump to: