kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
December 6th, 2013 at 11:58:34 PM permalink
Rodeo week is one of my least favorite times of the year. It's not just the crowds, although that's part of it. It's something else. It's not the colorful outfits, or the funny way they talk. I kind of enjoy all that. What I don't like it the slow motion way they do EVERYTHING. Playing blackjack....yeah every decision isn't some life changing thing that needs to be considered for 10 minutes. Talking....are you kidding me? Why does it take 5 minutes to say something that should be said it 10 words. Walking....this is the worst. You get behind a group of these folks and forget it. They give new meaning to their own term 'mosey along'. Is it the boots? The oversized hat putting too much pressure on the brain? Or does it have something to do with the flannel shirt tucked too tightly into their pants, with that huge belt buckle? Whatever it is, pick up the pace people! Move along.

Luckily, this, one of my least favorable periods of the year is immediately followed by one favorite, the two weeks between Rodeo and Christmas eve. Traditionally, one of the slowest periods of the year. :-)
Perdition
Perdition
  • Threads: 36
December 7th, 2013 at 12:05:56 AM permalink
It could have been worse:

odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
December 7th, 2013 at 2:59:50 AM permalink
Quote: Perdition

It could have been worse:

[you tube video]

I forgot that scene, it's great!
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
December 7th, 2013 at 6:41:08 AM permalink
Doesn't the slow weeks make the attention you get stronger with less players?
kewlj
kewlj
December 7th, 2013 at 7:57:10 AM permalink
Quote: Boz

Doesn't the slow weeks make the attention you get stronger with less players?

Yes, it does. That is a negative. But there are positives too. Heads up games, where you can get in hundreds of rounds per hour, as opposed to 50 with full tables (not that I play an hour at one table). A quick game will shorten my time at the table. I am in and out, before they have a chance to really evaluate me.

Also, less crowded conditions, makes for better and more 'table hopping' opportunities. I am frequently tracking a second table as I am playing my first. When the count tanks at my table, I mutter something about bad flow of cards and jump ship to the next table and a better opportunity. This technique allows me to almost double my high count, max bet frequencies and subsequently 'expected win rate' from what I would achieve from traditional play, but it becomes useless if the next table is full.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
December 7th, 2013 at 8:05:08 AM permalink
I like rodeo week.I wear my Western outfit and try to act like them.I do have a hard time walking in the boots though.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
kewlj
kewlj
December 7th, 2013 at 8:23:33 AM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

I like rodeo week.I wear my Western outfit and try to act like them.I do have a hard time walking in the boots though.

I did that last year. Wore a hat. Problem, for me is, I am known at some places in my rotation. They tolerate me because I play within their tolerance levels and play short sessions. They ignore me for a few minutes and I am gone. Less hassle. So if I show up wearing cowboy garb, or dressed like a geek, during the electronic show week, it just seems MORE suspicious. Lol

I wouldn't go as far to wear the boots. It doesn't happen often, but occasionally, I need to make a quick exit. I can usually spot heat, in the early stages, when it is still just luke warm. But occasionally, by the time you see it, it's come to a boil, like a scene from the movie 21, with a guy in a suit or two heading my way, wanting a word with me....a word like "you are welcome to play any other game...". Lol. So, I head for he door, ahead of them. Sometimes zig-zagging through isles. But it's hard to zig-zag, when you turn the corner and there is a posse of moseying cowboys blocking your way.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
December 7th, 2013 at 8:34:39 AM permalink
I play a different style then you, so my strange plays blend in more with the image of a "dumb cowboy".I. just try not to talk much as my Brooklyn accent would give me away. Lol
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
December 7th, 2013 at 9:41:05 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Rodeo week is one of my least favorite times of the year. It's not just the crowds, although that's part of it. It's something else. It's not the colorful outfits, or the funny way they talk. I kind of enjoy all that. What I don't like it the slow motion way they do EVERYTHING. Playing blackjack....yeah every decision isn't some life changing thing that needs to be considered for 10 minutes. Talking....are you kidding me? Why does it take 5 minutes to say something that should be said it 10 words. Walking....this is the worst. You get behind a group of these folks and forget it. They give new meaning to their own term 'mosey along'. Is it the boots? The oversized hat putting too much pressure on the brain? Or does it have something to do with the flannel shirt tucked too tightly into their pants, with that huge belt buckle? Whatever it is, pick up the pace people! Move along.

Luckily, this, one of my least favorable periods of the year is immediately followed by one favorite, the two weeks between Rodeo and Christmas eve. Traditionally, one of the slowest periods of the year. :-)

It's just having a certain idea about life, and the pace you should really live it at... [not defending them]
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
December 7th, 2013 at 9:51:32 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
December 7th, 2013 at 11:24:15 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Groups of blacks are just the same. It must be real tough walking with your pants pulled up only half way from your knees to your waist.

Yo yo yo, don't forget the white wannabes. They can be just as bad although they do provide comic relief.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
  • Jump to: