Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
November 23rd, 2013 at 7:04:57 AM permalink
It's buried in the "secrets" topic, so I'll bring it to the forefront. Plus, this is probably a measurable fraction of all the money that gets bet on women's college bb, and therefore is noteworthy (hehe).

On January 27th, the Notre Dame women travel to College Park MD to take on the Maryland women's squad. This will be a pretty good game: even though the season is young, both teams are talented, and both are ranked in the top 10, with ND subjectively ranked a little bit higher (6 vs 8 or 5 vs 8, depending on the poll). ND is undefeated in 3 tries, but has not yet been tested; MD is 2-1, with their only loss to #1 UConn. MD will have the home court advantage, but ND fans travel well, even for women's basketball.

I have pledged a tenner that ND will prevail; terapined has risen to defend the Terps' honor with a Hamilton of his own. Those who are curious about why some of us love women's college basketball are encouraged to tune in and see what it is that draws us: the intensity with which every single trip up and down the court is contested, regardless of the score, regardless of the rankings. Every game, every point is important to these athletes. Sure, men play the game better, but that doesn't mean they compete better. And if you do tune in and decide we're nuts, hey: thanks for giving it a shot.
A falling knife has no handle.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
November 23rd, 2013 at 7:16:51 AM permalink
I have learned to enjoy the women's game. Our daughter spent several years as a manager for the Lady Raiders at Texas Tech and we got to see them play many times. I also attended the Maryland/Virginia ACC battle way back when--it was (I believe) a sold-out game at Cole Field House. There was a set of twins playing for Virgina at the time...not sure exactly what year it was and too lazy this morning to look it up.

My wife went to Louisiana Tech back in the days before Title IX when the powerhouses were teams like Tech, ODU, and Tennessee.

I enjoy the women's game; it is more about basketball than most men's games these days.
anonimuss
anonimuss
  • Threads: 2
November 23rd, 2013 at 7:54:21 AM permalink
If somebody put a gun to my head and said, "Pick a side in a woman's basketball game" my answer would be, "Pull the trigger."
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
November 23rd, 2013 at 8:04:34 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
Mosca
Mosca
November 23rd, 2013 at 8:58:32 AM permalink
Quote: anonimuss

If somebody put a gun to my head and said, "Pick a side in a woman's basketball game" my answer would be, "Pull the trigger."

Haha, good one! That's how I feel about the NBA.
bigfoot66
bigfoot66
  • Threads: 54
November 23rd, 2013 at 9:24:58 AM permalink
I was looking at those teams after I got don listening to Don Imus this morning. You know those Notre Dame women are nice looking, but those Maryland women....

;)
Vote for Nobody 2020!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
November 23rd, 2013 at 9:29:49 AM permalink
Quote: anonimuss

This will probably get me in trouble, but I would pick the side with the less attractive players.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
bigfoot66
bigfoot66
  • Threads: 54
November 23rd, 2013 at 9:38:04 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

This will probably get me in trouble, but I would pick the side with the less attractive players.

I tend to agree with you. It's unfortunate that we cannot quantify beauty or we could get the correlation betwen beauty and points scored.
Vote for Nobody 2020!
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
November 23rd, 2013 at 10:35:03 AM permalink
I've always been a huge NCAA Mens BBall fan, of course following the Md Men which won it all back in 2002. I usually try to get off from work the 1st round of the NCAA'S Mens March Madness tournament so I can see the day games also and possible upset rooting for all the 9 to 16 seeds.
I'm a channel surfer and back in 2006 I just happened to surf and just by chance came upon the Womens BBall NCAA Championship game and its my Terrapins vs Duke. I love my Terps and love to root against Duke. So I watched the game, the 1st ever Womens basketball I ever watched and I was completely blown away. Great game, right down to the wire with MD down by 3 with seconds left and Kristy Toliver hitting a 3 at the buzzer to tie. I was on the edge of my seat watching a Womens game, I couldn't believe it myself. Md won in overtime and beating of all teams, Duke. Duke has been such a thorn in the side for the Mens team, this victory was so sweet. I was hooked for life. The Womens Terp team is actually a lot more fun to follow then the Mens team because MD Women consistently have a top 10 ranked team. Been following the Terp Women since 2006 actually paying for Terp tv every season so I can watch all the Home games on my laptop.
Md vs Notre Dame should be a fun game. I expect close to a packed house. Eight of the ten highest attended women's ACC basketball games have been Maryland games at Comcast Center. Especially since the ACC took away our traditionally highest attended games to punish us for leaving the ACC. No Duke or NC visiting MD ever, Men or Women.
Looking forward to the game against ND. We did lose to number 1 UCONN but I still have high hopes. Go Terps.
Thanks for starting a thread Mosca. Now if we can just get Vegas to start accepting some bets.

By the way I choose terapined for several reasons. I love the Grateful Dead and I love my Maryland Terrapins. My all time favorite Grateful Dead song is Terrapin Station.
Back in the old days of the Internet, I used to write reviews of all the Dead concerts I attended on Prodigy then AOL.
I wanted the handle terrapined but it was taken so I removed an "r" and I'm terapined.
been sticking with the same handle throughout the evolution of the internet on many sites.
yea my 1st name is Ed of course but I go by it all, Ed, Edward, Eddie, Terrapin, terapined, its all good.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
November 23rd, 2013 at 10:54:09 AM permalink

Yep. You're in trouble.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
November 23rd, 2013 at 10:54:54 AM permalink
By the way, is there a WoV March Madness brackets contest? I'd love to do that.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
November 23rd, 2013 at 2:20:54 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

By the way, is there a WoV March Madness brackets contest? I'd love to do that.

If you would, remind me in February, I'll throw a little something in for a prize.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 23rd, 2013 at 4:17:19 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Yep. You're in trouble.

Busted. Dang! What is my penance?
terapined
terapined
November 23rd, 2013 at 4:19:26 PM permalink

Busted. Dang! What is my penance?

How about watch the whole game we are betting on and posting a review of the game.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
November 23rd, 2013 at 4:32:00 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

How about watch the whole game we are betting on and posting a review of the game.

Hmmm...not bad...but you also have to keep a stat sheet and publish that with the review. Points, rebounds, assists, fouls. No googling afterwards. And Miranda gets to watch with you.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 23rd, 2013 at 5:10:48 PM permalink

Agreed! To be honest, that will be the most enjoyable punishment I've ever served. I'm attracted to strong athletic women so it would be my pleasure. I will also be rooting for Maryland, where I lived from 92 to 01.

However, I'm not sure my write-up will be any good. I don't understand the strategy of basketball at all. How about if I quote some amusing announcer remarks, which I wouldn't be able to pick up on the Internet, to prove I watched it?
Mosca
Mosca
November 23rd, 2013 at 5:36:14 PM permalink

That wouldn't apply. My opinion is that the players in women's college hoops follow the general population: most of them are attractive, in varying degrees. Thing is, they're all confident as hell, and that itself is an attractive quality.
Mosca
Mosca
November 25th, 2013 at 12:00:20 PM permalink
The Maryland team: lots of pretty girls in here. I couldn't find a similar ND shot, but their women are also wonderful.

Mosca
Mosca
November 25th, 2013 at 12:04:26 PM permalink
Last year's star for ND, Skylar Diggins.

terapined
terapined
November 25th, 2013 at 12:40:22 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

The Maryland team: lots of pretty girls in here. I couldn't find a similar ND shot, but their women are also wonderful.

Heres a good question, pick the one Maryland player whose boyfriend, Alex Len, is the backup center for the NBA Phoenix Suns.

By the way the Maryland Women Bball team has their own Reality TV Show. Under the Shell, check it out on youtube.
Mosca
Mosca
November 25th, 2013 at 12:58:58 PM permalink
My guess would be #1.
terapined
terapined
November 25th, 2013 at 2:12:59 PM permalink

My guess would be #1.

Tallest player in the picture, Essence Townsend. Her boyfriend is Alex Len, Md starting center last year Mens team, he's now backup center NBA Phoenix Suns.
I had no idea they were an item till I saw the NBA draft and there she was sitting at his table at the draft. He was drafted 1st round number 5 overall.
Mosca
Mosca
December 14th, 2013 at 7:40:52 PM permalink
Sitting her as the snow falls, watching NCAA Women's volleyball, #1 Texas vs #8 Nebraska. These women are a blast to watch, it's like 6-person tennis. Texas has Nebraska's number, though.

NCAA women's basketball is really divided into the haves and the have-nots.

Scores from today:

Women's College Basketball

Troy 64
3 Tennessee 103

4 Notre Dame 86
Michigan64

23 Gonzaga 45
6 Stanford 73

Austin Peay 53
7 Louisville 108

Delaware State 44
8 Maryland 93

South Florida 56
14 Oklahoma State 75

ChSou 49
15 North Carolina 100

Creighton 38
19 Nebraska 63
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
December 14th, 2013 at 7:52:22 PM permalink

Sitting her as the snow falls, watching NCAA Women's volleyball, #1 Texas vs #8 Nebraska. These women are a blast to watch, it's like 6-person tennis. Texas has Nebraska's number, though.

NCAA women's basketball is really divided into the haves and the have-nots.

Scores from today:

Women's College Basketball

Creighton 38
19 Nebraska 63

My poor Lady Bluejays...unranked and unloved....(sniffle)
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
December 14th, 2013 at 8:16:44 PM permalink
They have ladies tees in gulf, slower greens, easier pin placement , etc. Time for 8' feet above the floor baskets, I think.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Mosca
Mosca
December 15th, 2013 at 4:21:37 PM permalink
Irish Down Terps To Win NCAA Soccer Title, 2-1

I have to confess I didn't watch, what with the holidays coming up and the bad weather and football. Congratulations to both teams for making it to the finals.
terapined
terapined
December 15th, 2013 at 5:38:22 PM permalink

Irish Down Terps To Win NCAA Soccer Title, 2-1

I have to confess I didn't watch, what with the holidays coming up and the bad weather and football. Congratulations to both teams for making it to the finals.

I'm like any American sports fan:') soccer???
Back to Women's Basketball.
So far this year, I like what I am seeing. Its still early. Regular season conference schedule doesn't start till the beginning of the year. Jan 5 at North Carolina will tell me how good this Md team is. Maryland has 1 really great player(Alyssa Thomas) and 9 good players. That's a deep bench so we have been pressing this year. I see ND plays 7, will definitely see a press from MD to try to tire them out. Regardless, I am concerned, ND is playing great, dispatching 3 ranked teams already.
Looking forward to conference play.
terapined
terapined
January 5th, 2014 at 2:30:01 PM permalink
ACC regular season play starts today Women's basketball.
No. 2 Notre Dame hosts a weak Clemson team and handily beats them by 20.
Notre Dame is looking pretty awesome so far.
They may be the only team that can challenge No. 1 UCONN.
They will have a big test before playing my MD Terps, They travel to Tenn to play No. 5 Tenn.

No. 8 Maryland had a tough test for its opener, playing No. 10 NC at NC.
My Terps passed with flying colors posting a convincing 79-70 win in a tough environment against a ranked rival.
Hopefully MD moves up in the rankings with this important win.
I'm liking how my Terps look and looking forward to playing tough No. 2 Notre Dame.
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 29
January 5th, 2014 at 2:46:38 PM permalink
Do you watch the Maryland men's team? As a suns fan, everybody, EVERYBODY, was pissed at the pick of Len. He's still injured and has played sparingly. Such a waste of a high pick it seems. What are your thoughts?
Mosca
Mosca
January 5th, 2014 at 3:22:11 PM permalink

ACC regular season play starts today Women's basketball.
No. 2 Notre Dame hosts a weak Clemson team and handily beats them by 20.
Notre Dame is looking pretty awesome so far.
They may be the only team that can challenge No. 1 UCONN.
They will have a big test before playing my MD Terps, They travel to Tenn to play No. 5 Tenn.

No. 8 Maryland had a tough test for its opener, playing No. 10 NC at NC.
My Terps passed with flying colors posting a convincing 79-70 win in a tough environment against a ranked rival.
Hopefully MD moves up in the rankings with this important win.
I'm liking how my Terps look and looking forward to playing tough No. 2 Notre Dame.

We missed that game, but caught the ND men beating Duke yesterday. Good game, even if it was because Duke played bad for about 20 minutes in the middle. Today is football, too bad for the Bungles. Loosers.
terapined
terapined
January 13th, 2014 at 4:09:48 PM permalink
Hey Mosca,
PM me your email address.
I'll come back in a few days and send you 10 via paypal.

Just getting tired of posters changing my name to an insult.
I'm out of here,
but I always honor my bets.
Peace
Ed
  • Jump to: