kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
September 23rd, 2013 at 12:20:58 PM permalink
After breakfast this morning, I was looking at next weeks lines. I was surprised to see a line for Eagles/Broncos (Denver -12, over/under 59). Both these lines seemed high to me, but really I was surprised to even see a line, since the broncos still have a game tonight. Is this common practice? I mean if Payton Manning were to go down tonight or even a Wes Walker, that line would move dramatically. I didn't bet it, but it just seemed premature to me.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
September 23rd, 2013 at 12:26:42 PM permalink
One of the Vegas books, I think the LVH, took bets for every game in the regular season before the season started. I would imagine they will take down that line on next week's Denver game during the game tonight, and they have had a chance to adjust the line accordingly to whatever happens.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
September 23rd, 2013 at 12:46:13 PM permalink
Interestingly, checking the different Vegas books, online, just now, LVH and William hill now have the line at -10, 58, both down from just two hours ago, when I was at a William hill location that had -12, 59. Stations has only the team line, -10. Mirage, and CET currently have no lines for that game.

I probably only noticed because I am a philly sports fan. Perhaps it is not unusual to post the following weeks line before one team has even played its current weeks game. Probably I just never noticed before.
Pokeraddict
Pokeraddict
  • Threads: 36
September 23rd, 2013 at 2:39:13 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Interestingly, checking the different Vegas books, online, just now, LVH and William hill now have the line at -10, 58, both down from just two hours ago, when I was at a William hill location that had -12, 59. Stations has only the team line, -10. Mirage, and CET currently have no lines for that game.

I probably only noticed because I am a philly sports fan. Perhaps it is not unusual to post the following weeks line before one team has even played its current weeks game. Probably I just never noticed before.

I took SEA -17 vs JAX before SEA abused the 49ers last Sunday night. I think this is a normal practice. It isn't like they are taking any risk because presumably the action will be balanced or at least where they perceive the line to be correct. The bet goes off the board during the game and is then adjusted if there are any major injuries or something like a big win or loss that may change public perception.
  • Jump to: