mangry
mangry
  • Threads: 1
August 28th, 2013 at 9:09:50 PM permalink
my brother says that place bets pose less risk and not much less pay off than come bets with max odds---he says you need to hit two rolls rather than one with the pklace bet-so come bets should be avoided-thoughts.....
ontariodealer
ontariodealer
  • Threads: 7
August 29th, 2013 at 12:04:51 AM permalink
your brother is wrong but the age old battle between come bets and place bets will never end.
get second you pig
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
August 29th, 2013 at 3:52:55 AM permalink
Quote: mangry

my brother says that place bets pose less risk and not much less pay off than come bets with max odds---he says you need to hit two rolls rather than one with the pklace bet-so come bets should be avoided-thoughts.....

Remind him that the come bet pays if a 7 or 11 are rolled when they are placed but not for a place bet. Not commenting on math, just saying.

My dealing experience makes place bets more popular than come 10:1.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
August 29th, 2013 at 3:57:05 AM permalink
Quote: mangry

I bet your brother has lost a lot of money at craps, huh?
Fighting BS one post at a time!
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
August 29th, 2013 at 4:00:55 AM permalink
Just another example of humans trying to decipher a math-dominated experience without understanding math.

I especially marvel at the posts that work out a complicated betting system with a bunch of combinations that sound good with probably correct evaluation of "if I roll a 4, I win X, and if [blah blah] rolls I win Y, and only those times I roll a 3 is rolled do I lose Z." The poster always fails to realize he will have the EV of each negative expectation bet hanging over him, a guaranteed bust.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 39
August 29th, 2013 at 11:53:30 AM permalink
You pays your money and takes your choice. Repeated Come bets (ignoring the odds aspect) will not lose so much if the seven-out comes early - as you'll have one winning bet and a few losers. Place bets - assuming you bet them all - lose the lot on an immediate seven-out and don't starting showing a profit until a few numbers have been thrown. However in the long term (ignoring the occasional 11 2 3 12), place bets are picking up more than even money whereas the come bets are paid evens. Thus place bets lose more on short rolls and win more on long rolls.

The effect of taking odds is to turn a $1 come bet into (nearly say) a $6 place bet except (i) you aren't picking up payouts the first time the number is rolled (ii) don't lose so many bets on early sevens (as you haven't yet got all the numbers covered with come bets).

Technically making Come bets is the better way to play, but in the UK (due to not having to pay vig etc.) many use place bets and just press their winnings (e.g. £3 on #4 pays £5.70, pressed to £5 bet and £3.70 payout) and you'll hear 15-across or 52/54-across etc. as the starting position. Another way is to start with £3 on #6 and place more numbers with each payout (doing the 9 and 5 last) until all the numbers are covered - then collect and smile, a fun way to play but will usually cost you £3 per shooter!
  • Jump to: