AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 229
April 5th, 2014 at 8:56:18 PM permalink
Quote: endermike

Except when you consider you only need to be 18 to vote, not 21.

>
So they are not going to drive, work, or open a bank account, either? Really? Are you expecting them to be like children and helpless?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
endermike
endermike
  • Threads: 7
April 5th, 2014 at 9:08:55 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

>
So they are not going to drive, work, or open a bank account, either? Really? Are you expecting them to be like children and helpless?

No, I'm addressing Sancho's point. Sancho mentioned bars with regards to students.
Quote: SanchoPanza

Quote: beachbumbabs

a student ID issued by an accredited university should be acceptable, but in many states, it's not.

Anybody involved with a bar near a campus will be amused by this.

I'm pointing out that many folks going to college have no need for ID solely for bars.
Twirdman
Twirdman
  • Threads: 0
April 5th, 2014 at 9:11:47 PM permalink

>

You can work with a student ID I have mentioned this multiple times already. Pretty sure you can also open a bank account. As for driving no they won't. Basically 0 people drive in Davis everyone either took the bus or biked. In Gainsville plenty of people just take the bus also. Also they could just have the ID from the state they are originally from and simply never get a new ID since what is the point their out of state Id lets them work, drive, and buy booze only thing it doesn't let them do is vote. So say he gets an ID right before he moves for college, not too unusual since move at 18 and plenty of people wait till 18 to get a license, so he could keep that through his entire college career without expiring or he can jump through hoops to get a new license which again really serves no purpose.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
April 6th, 2014 at 2:57:24 AM permalink
Quote: Twirdman

You can work with a student ID I have mentioned this multiple times already. Pretty sure you can also open a bank account. As for driving no they won't. Basically 0 people drive in Davis everyone either took the bus or biked. In Gainsville plenty of people just take the bus also. Also they could just have the ID from the state they are originally from and simply never get a new ID since what is the point their out of state Id lets them work, drive, and buy booze only thing it doesn't let them do is vote. So say he gets an ID right before he moves for college, not too unusual since move at 18 and plenty of people wait till 18 to get a license, so he could keep that through his entire college career without expiring or he can jump through hoops to get a new license which again really serves no purpose.

Perhaps you should have to care enough about the state that you are going to school in to get their proper ID to voter there.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
April 6th, 2014 at 4:34:36 AM permalink

Perhaps the students should obey the law? Any state I have been in requires you to get a new license 30 days or so after you establish residency. So if the student doesnt get a new license because they are not staying then they are a resident of their old state and should be voting there, where they have ID just like every other adult.

I know, I know. Maybe the student has a dog, and the dog ate their ID so they don't get to vote...........
RonC
RonC
April 6th, 2014 at 5:39:27 AM permalink
If one were to fall onto this planet (and survive the fall, of course!) and read this thread they would think that getting an ID must be the hardest thing on earth to do. There are so many obstacles, why it practically can't be done!!!

I get that there is not as much proven voter fraud as there is supposed voter fraud but there is also more of it than the deniers acknowledge. Asking someone to properly identify themselves--something they have to do time and again to get anything of substance--is just not that high of a bar.

I've already allowed for people who never got IDs due to the lifestyle we had in earlier times--I said after 1940; make it 1950. Whatever. The reality is that nearly everyone needs an ID to get things done. It isn't some huge burden that cannot possibly be fathomed by people.

I'm waiting for someone who despises religion to say that having to have a proper ID is like getting the "666" affixed to you...
RonC
RonC
April 6th, 2014 at 5:45:56 AM permalink

You can only be a citizen of one state at a time. It really isn't that hard, with proper documentation, to get identification. Maybe some don't get the ID because they don't want to be a real citizen of the new state (higher taxes, as in someone moving to California from Texas would wait as long as possible to be a California resident for tax purposes and, going the other way, they'd change residence as quickly as possible), they are too lazy to do so, they don't want to, they'd rather swill a beer, or a million other excuses. Very few reasons; lots of excuses.
Twirdman
Twirdman
  • Threads: 0
April 6th, 2014 at 8:10:34 AM permalink

Perhaps the students should obey the law? Any state I have been in requires you to get a new license 30 days or so after you establish residency. So if the student doesnt get a new license because they are not staying then they are a resident of their old state and should be voting there, where they have ID just like every other adult.

I know, I know. Maybe the student has a dog, and the dog ate their ID so they don't get to vote...........

Fine there is still student ID. Basically besides buying alcohol and cigarettes a student ID is valid for any other number of other things. So basically in many college towns a student can get by perfectly well with just a student ID. So again given that a number of students would at the very least be inconvenienced you have to show at least some fraud that would be stopped by this.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
April 6th, 2014 at 8:41:04 AM permalink

Fine there is still student ID. Basically besides buying alcohol and cigarettes a student ID is valid for any other number of other things. So basically in many college towns a student can get by perfectly well with just a student ID. So again given that a number of students would at the very least be inconvenienced you have to show at least some fraud that would be stopped by this.

No, you do not need to show "there is fraud" you merely have to require ID as a matter of security.

It is easy for them to get ID and part of being an adult. Seriously, how many excuses are you going to come up with for not doing something so easy. What is next, we have to get them a taxi to get to the polling place because they can't find a ride?
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
April 6th, 2014 at 5:52:58 PM permalink
Quote: endermike

Except when you consider you only need to be 18 to vote, not 21.

University ID's are intrinsically useless off campus.

• Jump to: