AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 229
  • Posts: 12724
April 5th, 2014 at 9:14:23 AM permalink
Quote: RonC

There was no need for "early voting" in your case--you were going to be absent on election day and you were allowed to vote as an absentee. Your comment supports absentee voting, which should have fairly "liberal" rules for being allowed (easy to get a ballot and vote if you are properly registered) but not so much for early voting--and definitely not for long periods of early voting.



Glad you explained that, I am still wondering why the GOP is sending out the ballots instead of the Bureau of Elections.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 229
  • Posts: 12724
April 5th, 2014 at 9:16:08 AM permalink
Quote: endermike


Somehow 200 years ago only white landowners were able to vote.



Has nothing to do with anything, people still found time to vote on Election Day.

Quote:

Somehow about 100 years ago women were not allowed to vote.



Has nothing to do with anything, people still found time to vote on Election Day.

Quote:

Somehow 50 years ago poll taxes existed. Yay progress!



Has nothing to do with anything, people still found time to vote on Election Day.

Quote:

Probably not weeks, but they need more than 1 day.



Not if they really want to vote.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
endermike
endermike
Joined: Dec 10, 2013
  • Threads: 7
  • Posts: 584
April 5th, 2014 at 9:30:36 AM permalink
And the phrase "election day" as you use it has nothing to do with election law.

My point was what has been common in elections at one time has changed over time. Or do you disagree with those facts because they are not part of your "personal experience?" Or do you think that what was standard in the 19X0s should be the same standard forever?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 229
  • Posts: 12724
April 5th, 2014 at 9:33:53 AM permalink
Quote: endermike

And the phrase "election day" as you use it has nothing to do with election law.

My point was what has been common in elections at one time has changed over time. Or do you disagree with those facts because they are not part of your "personal experience?" Or do you think that what was standard in the 19X0s should be the same standard forever?




I think that Election DAY should be the same standard forever. Period.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
endermike
endermike
Joined: Dec 10, 2013
  • Threads: 7
  • Posts: 584
April 5th, 2014 at 9:36:24 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I think that Election DAY should be the same standard forever. Period.

So you think an idea which doesn't have a basis in the constitution should be the standard. Further, you think that election laws should not change or be amended. I'm kinda confident that isn't what you really believe.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 229
  • Posts: 12724
April 5th, 2014 at 9:38:32 AM permalink
Quote: endermike

So you think an idea which doesn't have a basis in the constitution should be the standard. Further, you think that election laws should not change or be amended. I'm kinda confident that isn't what you really believe.



I believe it should be Election DAY should be the same standard forever. PERIOD.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
terapined
terapined
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
  • Threads: 88
  • Posts: 5900
April 5th, 2014 at 9:47:53 AM permalink
Quote: RonC

There was no need for "early voting" in your case--you were going to be absent on election day and you were allowed to vote as an absentee. Your comment supports absentee voting, which should have fairly "liberal" rules for being allowed (easy to get a ballot and vote if you are properly registered) but not so much for early voting--and definitely not for long periods of early voting.


What if a corporate traveller is told Sunday that he has to fly to China Monday , the day before election day. Last minute travel to China is actually a common occurance . I work in corporate travel and China is the number 1 destination overall for the corporate travellers I take care of. With early voting, they can get that out of the way because many have no idea if they will or will not be home on election day.
WOV supports censorship. Bring back free speech challenging lies.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 229
  • Posts: 12724
April 5th, 2014 at 9:57:43 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

What if a corporate traveller is told Sunday that he has to fly to China Monday , the day before election day. Last minute travel to China is actually a common occurance . I work in corporate travel and China is the number 1 destination overall for the corporate travellers I take care of. With early voting, they can get that out of the way because many have no idea if they will or will not be home on election day.



This can already be done via absentee ballot for those in this situation.

Otherwise my answer is "tough, plan better next cycle."
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
terapined
terapined
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
  • Threads: 88
  • Posts: 5900
April 5th, 2014 at 10:13:18 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

This can already be done via absentee ballot for those in this situation.

Otherwise my answer is "tough, plan better next cycle."



Wow, your answer is "tough"
I appreciate the honesty but actually surprised by your answer.
I have compassion for my busy corporate travellers. Believe me, they all hate having to travel to China. They also hate not knowing untill the last minute when they have to go. These are hard working American Citizens, I say lets make it easy for my road warriors to vote. They contribute alot to make this economy succeed by giving up family time at home. Lets not take their vote away as well just because their job makes it impossible to plan ahead in many instances.
WOV supports censorship. Bring back free speech challenging lies.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 229
  • Posts: 12724
April 5th, 2014 at 10:36:18 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

Wow, your answer is "tough"
I appreciate the honesty but actually surprised by your answer.
I have compassion for my busy corporate travellers. Believe me, they all hate having to travel to China. They also hate not knowing untill the last minute when they have to go. These are hard working American Citizens, I say lets make it easy for my road warriors to vote. They contribute alot to make this economy succeed by giving up family time at home. Lets not take their vote away as well just because their job makes it impossible to plan ahead in many instances.



Sorry if it sounds "rough" but sometimes "tough" is what is needed.

I have been a road warrior myself. Not to China, but enough that missing a vote was a possibility. In the case above, the person knows they have to travel often so should either request the absentee ballot or take the chance of not voting.

It is not as if they are in the Senate voting on a major bill. Will the results change if they don't make it to vote? No. Will their life change if they can't make it? No. Sorry, but that is reality.

IMHO in the USA we need to change this attitude of "every vote is precious and better that there is the chance of fraud than one person be 'disenfranchised'" to "here are the rules. You need to register x days before the election, the election is on the first tuesday after the first monday in November. You know that. And you need to show up with positive ID. If you want to vote absentee you need to have vote in person at least once or else show up at the county elections bureau to positively ID yourself. The polls are open from X to Y on Election Day. Those are the rules, if you don't like them then don't vote."

The "election rules" I stated above were common until recently (except ID, which everyone has or can easily get) and every straightforward. I think where people get upset is I come out and say the right to vote comes with responsibility to do certain things to exercise that right.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others

  • Jump to: