RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
April 5th, 2014 at 7:05:33 AM permalink
Quote: endermike

Oh. Sorry, I was saying that to AZD. I was still under the impression AZD only wanted one 12-14 hour period for people to do all voting.

I saw what you stated (the "Election weekend" idea), I like it. There might be reasons that I'm not familiar with that would be problematic, but I think it may settle a lot of problems.

Gotcha.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 229
April 5th, 2014 at 7:15:08 AM permalink

Glad to hear you are finally on board with early voting (multiple election days).

Didn't say I was, don't see where he said he is. As he said below, Election DAY. I'd accept the idea of a full 24 hours but think it is overkill and 16-18 hours is plenty. At 16 hours virtually any shift worker can stop by before or after working.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
RonC
RonC
April 5th, 2014 at 7:23:45 AM permalink
Quote: RonC

Voting should be an "event"--it starts at a certain time or date and ends at a certain time or date. During that time, the polls should remain open either a long (16 hour day) day or all 24 hours a day from open to close. All precincts need to be open and manned for the same hours. Any waits longer than an hour are a local issue and need to be handled from the locals on up--in other words, you fix it this time or we'll step in and make you fix it next time.

I did say it--I am not "against" having the polls open for more than one day. I have said we could have "Election Weekend" or a short period of days with all polls open across the country for the same days (mandated and funded, of course, so something in the budget may need to be cut or reduced to pay for it...no additional taxation allowed!!). I think the right number is somewhere between one and four (inclusive); not a week, two weeks or a month!
endermike
endermike
  • Threads: 7
April 5th, 2014 at 7:33:10 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Didn't say I was, don't see where he said he is. As he said below, Election DAY. I'd accept the idea of a full 24 hours but think it is overkill and 16-18 hours is plenty. At 16 hours virtually any shift worker can stop by before or after working.

I was formulating a response to AZD, but RonC spoke for himself so I will leave it be.
Quote: RonC

I did say it--I am not "against" having the polls open for more than one day. I have said we could have "Election Weekend" or a short period of days with all polls open across the country for the same days (mandated and funded, of course, so something in the budget may need to be cut or reduced to pay for it...no additional taxation allowed!!). I think the right number is somewhere between one and four (inclusive); not a week, two weeks or a month!

endermike
endermike
April 5th, 2014 at 7:44:57 AM permalink
AZD, why do you keep saying "election day?" Did you find it in the constitution? Did you ignore my post where I offered you $20 to find it in the constitution?

I thought this might be a consequence of citing the constitution. If you can find the phrase "election day" in the US constitution I will pay $20 to you as well Answers in Genesis (suffice to say, an organization I would not like to support).

My reply will again have three parts:
1) An excellent article on the legality of early voting: http://mediamatters.org/blog/2012/10/11/the-rights-war-on-early-voting-false-constituti/190566
2) You would think if it wasn't constitutional fewer than 30 some states would offer it.
3) Article 1 section 4 (aka why states get to run elections)

AZD, you have some strong arguments, but when you keep bringing up things which are demonstrably wrong you taint all your arguments with that same brush of incorrectness. Saying "election day" over and over again does not make it correct. It only makes you repeatedly wrong.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 229
April 5th, 2014 at 8:24:21 AM permalink

AZD, why do you keep saying "election day?" Did you find it in the constitution?

I did not find it but I did not re-read the entire Constitution for it. But I keep saying "Election Day" because until about 10 years ago people seemed to be able to find the time to vote on one day, not the dozens of excuses why they cannot make it on a prescribed day today.

And I do say excuses. Somehow 200 years ago when you had to take your horse to town to vote. Somehow 100 years ago when 12 hour days were the norm people found time to vote on Election Day. Somehow 50 years ago when we didn't have all the conveniences of today people found time to vote on Election Day. Now all of the sudden people need days or weeks to vote? It is nonsense and laziness that they cannot make it on Election Day. If they really wanted to do it they could do it, just like getting an ID to vote.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
endermike
endermike
April 5th, 2014 at 8:35:17 AM permalink

I did not find it but I did not re-read the entire Constitution for it.

I'm glad, if you did there is something wrong with your copy. Here is a nice searchable one, use ctrl+f

Somehow 200 years ago when you had to take your horse to town to vote. Somehow 100 years ago when 12 hour days were the norm people found time to vote on Election Day. Somehow 50 years ago when we didn't have all the conveniences of today people found time to vote on Election Day.

Somehow 200 years ago only white landowners were able to vote. Somehow about 100 years ago women were not allowed to vote. Somehow 50 years ago poll taxes existed. Yay progress!

Now all of the sudden people need days or weeks to vote?

Probably not weeks, but they need more than 1 day.
RonC
RonC
April 5th, 2014 at 8:35:50 AM permalink

I did not find it but I did not re-read the entire Constitution for it. But I keep saying "Election Day" because until about 10 years ago people seemed to be able to find the time to vote on one day, not the dozens of excuses why they cannot make it on a prescribed day today.

And I do say excuses. Somehow 200 years ago when you had to take your horse to town to vote. Somehow 100 years ago when 12 hour days were the norm people found time to vote on Election Day. Somehow 50 years ago when we didn't have all the conveniences of today people found time to vote on Election Day. Now all of the sudden people need days or weeks to vote? It is nonsense and laziness that they cannot make it on Election Day. If they really wanted to do it they could do it, just like getting an ID to vote.

I do agree with AZ on this--one day should be enough--but I am willing to compromise on IDs and extended time.

It is interesting that we find obstacles to voting that don't really exist...why don't we find time taking care of the few that really do exist?
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 88
April 5th, 2014 at 8:39:12 AM permalink

200 years ago Jets did not exist. Last Presidential election, I spent it in Vegas baby. As a Florida resident, I contacted the party I belong to, Republican, and they kindly sent me an absentee ballot so I could vote for Obama. As a Florida resident thousands of miles from my polling location on election day, why not make it easy for me to vote. I want to participate, and I want to have fun.
I work in corporate travel, on any given day a great number of people are thousands of miles from home. 200 years ago, it was a big planet, you tended to stay close to home. Today, its a small world, wanna be on the otherside of the planet tomorrow, buy a ticket today and you can be there tomorrow.
I love early voting and I love absentee ballots.
WOV supports censorship. Bring back free speech challenging lies.
RonC
RonC
April 5th, 2014 at 8:54:59 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

200 years ago Jets did not exist. Last Presidential election, I spent it in Vegas baby. As a Florida resident, I contacted the party I belong to, Republican, and they kindly sent me an absentee ballot so I could vote for Obama. As a Florida resident thousands of miles from my polling location on election day, why not make it easy for me to vote. I want to participate, and I want to have fun.
I work in corporate travel, on any given day a great number of people are thousands of miles from home. 200 years ago, it was a big planet, you tended to stay close to home. Today, its a small world, wanna be on the otherside of the planet tomorrow, buy a ticket today and you can be there tomorrow.
I love early voting and I love absentee ballots.

There was no need for "early voting" in your case--you were going to be absent on election day and you were allowed to vote as an absentee. Your comment supports absentee voting, which should have fairly "liberal" rules for being allowed (easy to get a ballot and vote if you are properly registered) but not so much for early voting--and definitely not for long periods of early voting.

• Jump to: