• Threads: 4
February 20th, 2013 at 7:11:38 PM permalink
Just had to share this with the team !

http://i.imgur.com/PZy3YYH.jpg
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
  • Threads: 8
February 20th, 2013 at 7:15:04 PM permalink
I'm sure I would have gotten that one wrong.
I heart Crystal Math.
tringlomane
tringlomane
February 20th, 2013 at 7:43:18 PM permalink
I'm pretty sure one of my old high school teachers would have gave partial credit for that one for amusement...lol

It was her final year, and while being a good teacher overall, she definitely stretched the rules a bit. I was her teacher's aide since I had a free period, but she still let me grade some physics tests although I was currently a student in her class! She graded my 100% test over circuits/ohm's law, so she apparently was cool with me grading some. One student's paper that she previously graded was significantly worked on but had several errors, and she briskly wrote 8/20 on it with little explanation. I tried to defend the student's work and that maybe she was too harsh. I was allowed to regrade it. But all that ended up doing is me pointing out each of her errors and each individual deduction and I gave an 8.5/20...lol This same student also once tried to tell me this joke: "What's the square root of 69?" I responded with 8.3 something, and she had to guide me to the joke's punchline...doh The girl was a lot thinner at the 10 yr reunion though, so I'll give her props for that. :) Too bad I wasn't single at the time...lol

Edit: I just reread the question though and yeah he actually deserves full credit, and I miss that one too. lol
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
February 21st, 2013 at 5:43:50 AM permalink
I might have answered with probability = what, as the math question does not end in a question mark. It therefore becomes a statement... what is the probability...

So I would solve with what = 0 and get bonus marks.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
February 21st, 2013 at 12:42:27 PM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

I'm pretty sure one of my old high school teachers would have gave partial credit for that one for amusement...lol

It was her final year, and while being a good teacher overall, she definitely stretched the rules a bit. I was her teacher's aide since I had a free period, but she still let me grade some physics tests although I was currently a student in her class! She graded my 100% test over circuits/ohm's law, so she apparently was cool with me grading some. One student's paper that she previously graded was significantly worked on but had several errors, and she briskly wrote 8/20 on it with little explanation. I tried to defend the student's work and that maybe she was too harsh. I was allowed to regrade it. But all that ended up doing is me pointing out each of her errors and each individual deduction and I gave an 8.5/20...lol This same student also once tried to tell me this joke: "What's the square root of 69?" I responded with 8.3 something, and she had to guide me to the joke's punchline...doh The girl was a lot thinner at the 10 yr reunion though, so I'll give her props for that. :) Too bad I wasn't single at the time...lol

Edit: I just reread the question though and yeah he actually deserves full credit, and I miss that one too. lol

What's the punchline?
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
February 21st, 2013 at 12:49:48 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

What's the punchline?

The square root of 69 is 8 some.
I heart Crystal Math.
timbo123
timbo123
  • Threads: 0
February 21st, 2013 at 12:57:36 PM permalink
Children seem to relish a little basic algebra joke I play on them. It goes like this: 1) pick a number and don't tell me it.
2) double it (3) add "here I tell them any even number" (4) take away half (5) subtract your original number.

The answer, is always one-half of whatever number you tell them to add. If you tell them to add 2 - then the answer is 1,
if you tell them to add 8, then the answer is 4 and so on.

"Not until we are lost, do we begin to understand ourselves."

-Henry David Thoreau
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
February 21st, 2013 at 2:24:27 PM permalink
Quote: jkluv7

Just had to share this with the team !

http://i.imgur.com/PZy3YYH.jpg

That has to be the correct answer, right? I wonder what the most common response is. I bet almost everyone assumes a d6 die if they answer other than 0%
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Lexinger
Lexinger
February 21st, 2013 at 3:52:30 PM permalink
then (n)
adv.
1. At that time: I was still in school then. Come at noon; I'll be ready then. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/then
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can't flip a coin and roll a die at the same time?

Ah, little wonder.
Those who can, do; those who can't, teach. But those who confuse the two... they wind up on the internet.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
February 21st, 2013 at 4:11:23 PM permalink
Quote: Lexinger

then (n)
adv.
1. At that time: I was still in school then. Come at noon; I'll be ready then. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/then
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can't flip a coin and roll a die at the same time?

Ah, little wonder.

I like that interpretation. But doesn't "and then" usually signify a time-ordered sequence? And there are still at least 3 possible answers. 1. 0%. 2. 25%. 3. 50%*(oddcount/totalcount) if the die has an odd number of faces.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Lexinger
Lexinger
February 21st, 2013 at 4:30:15 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

But doesn't "and then" usually signify a time-ordered sequence?

That's a matter of a comma?
Those who can, do; those who can't, teach. But those who confuse the two... they wind up on the internet.
  • Jump to: