Poll

5 votes (71.42%)
2 votes (28.57%)

7 members have voted

thezone
thezone
  • Threads: 7
February 6th, 2013 at 3:06:19 PM permalink
I just got back from another amazing trip to vegas.... capped off with an great round of golf and a Baltimore ML victory! Played my consistant craps sessions and booked more wins.

The Superbowl got a little sketchy though... I was nervous that the momentum would change after the outage... and it did. Thankfully, Baltimore held on. So, did someone intentionally cause the blackout, and if so, why would they? This is the superbowl!! How can something as routine as this go wrong. I just dont see who, what , when, where, or why anyone would benefit from this... other than the food and beverage at the stadium.
MakingBook
MakingBook
  • Threads: 24
February 6th, 2013 at 3:12:46 PM permalink
I'll probably catch hell for this comment, but the reason for the blackout is:

New Orleans is a shit-hole.

It's a great city to visit- great food, entertainment; But it's definitely a shit-hole.
"I am a man devoured by the passion for gambling." --Dostoevsky, 1871
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
February 6th, 2013 at 3:15:39 PM permalink
Yeah, it's definitely a shit-hole.

I wonder how much extra revenue CBS and the NFL made by airing all those extra commercials.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
thezone
thezone
  • Threads: 7
February 6th, 2013 at 3:21:43 PM permalink
I had a discussion with friends today about the commercials theory. I thought the same thing as you rdw.. However, my friend said that the time slots were already paid for regardless of how long the quarters were. So each quarter was already pre paid. Apparently the companies that paid for the 3rd quarter got extra value and didnt have to pay more.

Again, this is what a friend said and I have not verified it... so Im not 100%.. my buddy does like to embellish a bit..lol
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
February 6th, 2013 at 3:25:10 PM permalink
It sure did make a difference in the game. My first thought either cyber terrorism or the mafia had something to do with it. Baltimore's drugs and deer antler probably wore off in the delay.
I am a robot.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
February 6th, 2013 at 3:47:09 PM permalink
Quote: thezone

I had a discussion with friends today about the commercials theory. I thought the same thing as you rdw.. However, my friend said that the time slots were already paid for regardless of how long the quarters were. So each quarter was already pre paid. Apparently the companies that paid for the 3rd quarter got extra value and didnt have to pay more.

Again, this is what a friend said and I have not verified it... so Im not 100%.. my buddy does like to embellish a bit..lol

The network slots were prepaid. Those advertisers don't have to pay extra, however, the local networks got some extra time to slip in some ads, which may or may not result in extra revenue, depending on how their deals were structured. The numbers during the blackout may actually be a lot lower since folks may have tuned out during the long break, epecially when the announcers were letting everyone know it would be another 15 - 20 minutes.... Time to switch to the Puppy Bowl...
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
  • Jump to: