Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1489
December 26th, 2012 at 3:05:27 PM permalink
Medicare’s Influential Chief Actuary to Retire

For those you interested in my pre-Wizard life, I worked as a Social Security actuary from 1992 to 2000 in Baltimore. The article above is about Rick Foster, who was my boss two levels up my first three years there. In 1994 there was an opening for chief actuary of HCFA (Medicare) down the street, which he got. The person next to Rick in the picture in the article I suspect is Steve Goss, who was Rick's counterpart at SSA, but oversaw long-range projections. He was later promoted to chief actuary of the whole department when the current one retired.

Rick Foster was a great guy and outstanding at his job. He went to almost all the office social functions and was a little bit of a prangster. In addition, he had a great sense of humor, which isn't often said about actuaries. Whenever it was somebody's birthday we had cake at 10:00, and he always seemed to some kind of joke about whoever's birthday it was.

More importantly, he was very true to the mission of the office. To provide honest financial estimates without political pressure. He will likely be missed in DC, especially as there is a lot of talk about reforming the program, which if it isn't, will bring the country to its financial knees.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
December 26th, 2012 at 5:37:42 PM permalink
Don't know your friend, but THANK YOU for the last line, which far too many are either unwilling, or unable to admit.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
December 26th, 2012 at 6:21:39 PM permalink
My brother-in-law Joseph Jones was there at that time. A shop steward also. You may have seen him. Hard to miss, 7 feet tall and
wore glasses. Occasionally in buckskins and a full Indian bonnet .
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
December 29th, 2012 at 4:35:41 PM permalink
I wish my office was as fun as your office. My office seems to take the East German approach to employees. They cancelled our Christmas gift exchange. The stuff we do is so boring it wouldn't hurt to have a little fun once in a while. They even discourage talking. (Office is deathly quiet most of the time).
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
midwestgb
midwestgb
  • Threads: 12
December 30th, 2012 at 3:37:48 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

I wish my office was as fun as your office. My office seems to take the East German approach to employees. They cancelled our Christmas gift exchange. The stuff we do is so boring it wouldn't hurt to have a little fun once in a while. They even discourage talking. (Office is deathly quiet most of the time).

Law offices are usually either deathly quiet... Or ... Insanely loud. Mine is one of the very few in the middle... ;-)
  • Jump to: