blount2000
blount2000
  • Threads: 42
December 12th, 2012 at 1:54:38 PM permalink
The Wizard's rule for splitting two pairs in Pai Gow Poker states:

Split the two pair unless:
1. The sum of the ranks is 9 or less and you have a king or ace singleton, or
2. The sum of the ranks is 15 or less and you have an ace singleton.

For some reason I have this natural urge to want to keep pairs together, and I think sometimes I end up not splitting when maybe I should.

So let's say I wanted to apply a "one-card, one-sum" criteria statement on when to KEEP PAIRS TOGETHER. The rule would look like this:

If you have "singleton card X or better" and the sum of the two-pair ranks is "X or less", then you keep the two pairs together.

Example 1: If you have an Ace and the sum of the two-pair ranks is 12 or less, then you keep the pairs together.
or
Example 2: If you have a King or better and the sum of the two-pair ranks is 10 or less, then you keep the pairs together.

When dealt two pair I'd really like to be able to easily determine if I can keep them together. So if I used the criteria in Example 1, I would simply look to see if I had an Ace singleton, and if not then I'd automatically split. And if I DID have an Ace, only then would I go to the next step of adding the ranks and if they totaled more than 12 I'd split. (I have a feeling most of the time I wouldn't have to get past the first step of looking for an Ace.)

So the big question for me is what would be the best values to be used in the "one-card, one-sum" criteria statement. I'm sure I'd be adding to the house edge by deviating from the Wizard's rules, although I have no clue on how much.

Any suggestions on what may be the best values to use in the statement?
You serious, Clark?
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
December 12th, 2012 at 2:28:44 PM permalink
deleted
Last edited by: sodawater on Oct 1, 2018
blount2000
blount2000
December 12th, 2012 at 2:47:46 PM permalink
I appreciate your response.

True, that is the Wizard's rule restated from a standpoint of "keep the pair" versus "split the pair". But it still has two card value scenarios (just an Ace and Ace or King) as well as two sums (16 and 10) that must be considered based on what pairs you have been dealt and what singletons you may hold.

I'm more trying to figure out a "one line rule" that only has one minimum card value and one rank sum to consider like the Example 1 mentioned above (i.e. an Ace and rank sum of 12 or less and you keep the two pair).

Note: Edited to correct Ace/King error.
You serious, Clark?
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
December 12th, 2012 at 3:12:44 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
blount2000
blount2000
December 12th, 2012 at 3:17:06 PM permalink