•March 6, 1876 Alexander Graham Bell makes the first telephone call
•December 17, 1903 The Wright brothers make their historic flight
•June 23, 1914 The first World War starts
•October 29, 1929 The Stock Market crashes & the Great Depression begins
•December 7, 1941 The second World War is set-off
•September 3, 1945 The first atomic bomb is dropped
•October 1, 1949 The People’s Republic of China is born
•October 1990 The World Wide Web was inaugurated

In each of these instances, at each of these critical moments in time, there was a “day before.” The “day before” was just another normal day, time running its course, twenty-four hours where people may have known that something was up but supposed nothing would change. Markets, you see, always live in this “day before” where the bend in the highway never comes, where the path is always straight and fixed and where it is generally thought that nothing of consequence will happen. Then some event takes place, something magical or wonderful or awful occurs and the world is turned on its axis and nothing is ever the same again. The lead time for many of these moments in history is often long and could have been prepared for but, people being what they are, we tire of the wait and the markets continue to operate on the assumption that this “day before” will always be in effect right up until the moment when it is not. You see; the “day before” is transmuted by Time and what was becomes what is and that could be something very different than our last turn around the sun and to not be prepared is a disservice to your own position and to the capital of your clients.

“After all tomorrow is another day.”

-Gone with the Wind

The Looking Glass

Women are much better at it than men but we all need to stand and stare into the mirror and take a very hard look at what is staring back. An honest reappraisal is imperative now! Syria fires on Israel, Israel fires back and Iran looms like the grey robed man with a scythe. War in the Middle East is an outlier no longer.

Greece has risen from its recent obscurity, a Phoenix from the fire but, unlike the mythological bird re-born, this Greece is covered in fire, soot and dirt and Hercules himself could not make their debt sustainable. The IMF may not fund and Europe promises, promises, promises and delivers nothing, no one wants to take any losses when losses must be taken and so Greece has become a dead man walking. Greece promises, Europe promises, platitudes are delivered like meat on a platter at a steakhouse and the silver cover is swept away and, low and behold, there is nothing there. Debt extensions, the lowering of interest rates, the buy-back of Greek debt in the open market and all of the other slivers of even more promises will not solve the problem, cannot solve the problem as the numbers have overtaken any relatively painless solutions. The figures will not add up without debt forgiveness, significantly more money or default. “Where’s the beef” is soon to be found or not found in the European Parliaments as the IMF rejects any new methodology for counting the coins in the vault. Breakpoint; we are at Breakpoint.

The United States is staring into a fiscal abyss affecting 4.52% of our GDP and the priorities of the Republicans and the Democrats are as opposite as they have been in my lifetime. Perhaps there will be a compromise but maybe not and the risks enlarge with the passing of the days. Forget gloom, doom, optimism or muddle; the reality is that huge, giant risks are at hand and that you have no control over them and that in the Middle East, in Europe, in America that things could swing wildly out of control and that we do not face one cliff but jagged edges on three sides where Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece could cause an avalanche while another may occur in the United States and a third could come rolling out of the sands of the desert countries.

“Get ready, skanks! It’s time for the truth train!”

-The Simpsons

I am not talking of betting this morning but of preservation and, in my humble opinion, only a fool would fail to see the risks at hand and take precautions. We are in danger, “clear and present danger” and the strategy of the “day before” is no longer appropriate. I can also tell you that the scent of Fear is picking up as the calls to the Wizard increase and as many institutions begin to assume “fall back positions” that are not only reasonable but mandated out of necessity by our present circumstances. Take note, $400 billion has poured into bond funds this year, an all-time record, with yields at depressed levels indicating a quite real flight to safety. The United States lost thirty-six percent of its wealth during the American Financial Crisis and, people or institutions, the song rolls across the landscape, “We won’t get fooled again!”

Don’t get fooled again!

“Soon enough, soon enough; a string of tomorrows that will be the most critical days of the year.”

-The Wizard

Mission....collapse article. I do not know how. Thanks
bigpete88
bigpete88
  • Threads: 23
November 14th, 2012 at 10:01:21 AM permalink
My day job involves dealing with people on fixed income, no income or low paying jobs. Minimum wage jobs seems to be on the increase at Big Box stores and Fast Food Restaurants. The people making less than $8 an hour are at poverty level as are the millions getting Disabilty or Social Security of less than $1,000 a month. Jobs are still being exported overseas as well.

My guess, and I hope that I am wrong, is that the middle class is dwindling.

The other issue is the crushing U.S. debt as well as the horrific spending habits coming out of D.C. Military budget of 711 Billion, 5 times higher than any other Country. Google it. Sick numbers.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
November 14th, 2012 at 12:08:51 PM permalink
Cut that by 40 % for disability. Lot depends on which state benefit you may or may not also get. Average Social Security check is
$1239 . Maximum benefit , retiring at age 66 today $2,513
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Pokeraddict
Pokeraddict
  • Threads: 36
November 14th, 2012 at 1:28:46 PM permalink
The thing nobody wants to talk about is the mandate requiring companies to give health care to employees if they work 30+ hours a week on average. Those people working one job full time for $8 an hour will go from 40 to 28 hours a week or less by 2014 so employers will not have to meet the mandate. This will cause serious issues with more people on the edge going into poverty.

Employers can look back 3 or 12 months and will have to give an employee insurance for 6 months if at any time they meet the 30 hour qualification. This means that people will have to have 2 jobs to get the same number of hours they get now and still will not have insurance. Sure, some companies will comply, but quite a few will not.

Restaurants are already cutting hours (Papa John's, Longhorn, Olive Garden, Red Lobster and a large Applebee's franchise are already doing this) and expect this to bleed into other industries. It will really hurt the minimum wage workers in the country if they cannot find two jobs. Ironically, those are the same people that overwhelmingly voted for the law's sponsor and it will do nothing but hurt their ability to find full time work.

Also think about how this will affect companies that hire a lot of retail help at Christmas. Now they will need to hire 50% more people to fill the same number of hours. It seems like this does nothing but damage those working in min wage industries and I think this will cause serious issues with growth because this group will become a drag on the system. People that previously found a way to make it simply will have no way out if they cannot if their hours get cut.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
November 14th, 2012 at 2:19:42 PM permalink
I usually do not promote my business in public, but I own a small restaurant/bar and still don't know what to expect. My accountant has no answers, but I will not cut my EE's hours, but I cannot afford HC for them either. I try to pay a decent wage to my cooks and keep them close to 40 hours and even some OT instead of dealing with the problems of 20 hours EE's.

But I will do what it takes to survive and make the most money for me, so the future is wide open and uncertain.
Pokeraddict
Pokeraddict
  • Threads: 36
November 14th, 2012 at 2:52:00 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

I usually do not promote my business in public, but I own a small restaurant/bar and still don't know what to expect. My accountant has no answers, but I will not cut my EE's hours, but I cannot afford HC for them either. I try to pay a decent wage to my cooks and keep them close to 40 hours and even some OT instead of dealing with the problems of 20 hours EE's.

But I will do what it takes to survive and make the most money for me, so the future is wide open and uncertain.

How small? If you do not have 50 employees the mandate will not affect your business. Big box retailers, grocery store chains and restaurants are the most likely to be affected by this. These are industries that employ millions of min wage or slightly above employees.
  • Jump to: