Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
September 12th, 2012 at 5:50:53 PM permalink
Gas is $4.11 here. In 2008, when gas was over $4,
Obama, Pelosi, & Hillary attacked George Bush for
high gas prices. http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/02/video-flashback-obama-and-dems-blast-bush-for-gas-prices-in-2008/

If it was Bush's fault in 2008, it certainly has to be
Obama's fault now.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 12th, 2012 at 6:01:05 PM permalink
Here's an even better link where Bush is blamed
15 times for high gas prices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQb_4hXLx2Q
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
September 12th, 2012 at 6:24:23 PM permalink
The US does not rank in the top 100 countries for gas prices....
four more years!
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
September 12th, 2012 at 6:36:32 PM permalink
Blame Bernanki, Greenspan, Obama, Bush, vast majority of politicians, etc. Everyone involved with our current cheap money policy for the past decade. There's an honest debate to be had about whether or not it's been the right thing to do, but we can all agree that if the dollar was stronger then gas would be cheaper.

Honestly, Canada's oil industry is continuing to mature and shale oil is getting affordable. Things might get worse, but I don't see the apocalypse that some people foresee in the long run.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 12th, 2012 at 6:59:11 PM permalink
Quote: ahiromu

Blame Bernanki, Greenspan, Obama, Bush, vast majority of politicians,

Obama didn't say that in 2006 and 2008, it was
100% Bush's fault. Why isn't it 100% Omama's
fault now?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
September 12th, 2012 at 7:08:00 PM permalink
Quote: WongBo

The US does not rank in the top 100 countries for gas prices....
four more years!

Why should it? Obama would like to see higher prices at the pump. Who was that appointee of his that outright said it? EB help me remember here.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 12th, 2012 at 7:13:11 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Why should it? Obama would like to see higher prices at the pump. Who was that appointee of his that outright said it? EB help me remember here.

I remember that. I also remember Obama saying
electric prices would 'skyrocket' under his regime
because he intended to shut down the coal fired
electric plant industry. But not build more nukes.
He made a dent, but he really needs 4 more years
to put hundred of thousands workers in that industry
on the unemployment lines.

Finally, a reason to elect Obama again!
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
September 12th, 2012 at 7:25:00 PM permalink
Ride a bike. It will help keep you out of the nursing home.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 12th, 2012 at 7:32:45 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Ride a bike. It will help keep you out of the nursing home.

So you don't blame Obama? How refreshing..
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
September 12th, 2012 at 7:40:15 PM permalink
I blame Obama!! But not enough to vote for Smarmy McLipsmack.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
September 13th, 2012 at 4:50:49 AM permalink
Blaming the President for higher gas prices is one of the dumbest things ever. That's all I'll say about that. It's like blaming the stick change for a seven-out.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
September 13th, 2012 at 5:01:29 AM permalink
Quote: teddys

Blaming the President for higher gas prices is one of the dumbest things ever. That's all I'll say about that. It's like blaming the stick change for a seven-out.

While you cannot blame the entire gas price increase on President Obama (as you could not pin the previous one on President Bush, though many tried to do so) one must realize that certain policies of the government DO have an impact on gas prices. Just a couple--restrictions on drilling areas that are opened for production and the use of ethanol.

Corn-based Ethanol use is just dumb--it uses almost as much or more (depending on what you read) energy to produce ethanol as it produces. That makes it a loser. End the use of it now and both food and gas prices might be impacted in a good way. They already expect gas prices to drop when ethanol use ends for the year...up to 10 cents a gallon.

Drilling--though it takes years to get production started, restrictions on areas opened impact the market because markets are based on both today's news and future directions in production. We need to drill more and do it smartly.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 13th, 2012 at 6:21:40 AM permalink
Quote: teddys

Blaming the POTUS for the price going up $.10 yes, a little silly. But you can rightly say that Obama is hositle to the oil and refining industry. Obama would not allow Keystone XL. He will not allow drilling in ANWR. He banned new offshore drilling. He has virtually halted new leases on federal lands. He has called for new taxes on oil companies. His EPA has fined refiners for not using additives that do not exist.

Liberals love to say, "but Keystone XL will not solve our probolems!" Insert any of what I said and replace for "Keystone XL." To liberals, it is supposed to be one thing that does everything. Well, no, alone Keystone XL will not solve everything. Nor will Gulf Drilling. Intelligent people know that it all adds up, though.

Remember the BP spill? Obama was more concerned about "finding out who's ass to kick" than he was about stopping the spill. When you act that way, you do not get people rusing in to invest in drilling. Without drilling you have less supply. With less supply you get higher prices.

Obama is in the group that believes conservation will solve the supply problem. This ignores a growing economy and population. Conservation may be nobloe, but it never found a drop of oil.
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
September 13th, 2012 at 9:17:09 AM permalink
Obama wants to release oil from the SPR, a mere political ploy. Releasing 30M barrels does very little since the US consumes around 24M barrels a day.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 13th, 2012 at 9:23:44 AM permalink
Quote: slyther

Obama wants to release oil from the SPR, a mere political ploy. Releasing 30M barrels does very little since the US consumes around 24M barrels a day.

Why he gets away with that is amazing. Releasing SPR oil is a dangerous game to play. The SPR is there in case there is a medium-term disruption to supply (eg: Katrina) not to balance markets. Sadly probably less than half of people alive in the USA remember the gas lines in the 1970s when you had a reasonable price for gas but you could only buy about 7 gallons ($5-7 limit) if they had any and after waiting 30 min + in line.

And the SPR is not a manufactured tank, the more you empty and fill it causes long-term damage.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
September 13th, 2012 at 11:10:50 AM permalink

Blaming the POTUS for the price going up $.10 yes, a little silly. But you can rightly say that Obama is hositle to the oil and refining industry. Obama would not allow Keystone XL.

The controversy over Keystone XL seemed a little misplaced. If they wanted to increase capacity by double the pipelines using the current Keystone route vs. using the XL route it doesn't seem as if there was a problem. It was just the shorter route crossed the aquifier.

It seems to me that every single project of this magnitude that takes a new route (be it trains or pipelines or electric lines) always engenders controversy. For that reason so many projects use the current right of way. It's always easier to argue for an upgrade to something that people are used to , rather than a new route.

I cannot believe the additional cost of following the current pipeline route vs the XL route is sinking this country. It has to be an incremental difference in expense. The extra distance must be offset by the lack of a requirement to procure new land and to do new engineering assessments, not to mention infrastructure costs like new bridges.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 13th, 2012 at 11:32:23 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

The controversy over Keystone XL seemed a little misplaced. If they wanted to increase capacity by double the pipelines using the current Keystone route vs. using the XL route it doesn't seem as if there was a problem. It was just the shorter route crossed the aquifier.

I think part of the new route is to tie in all the new ND oil production coming online that needs to be pieped into the system. I fail to see the aquifer problem as real, the aquifier is deep underground, the pipeline is surface. Hard to believe there is anything near the seepage to cause a problem. I researched it once and "pipeline spills" equaled about two tanker-trucks you see on the highway all year.
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
September 13th, 2012 at 11:56:27 AM permalink
Ummm, the map already shows the KEYSTONE pipleline going through N&S Dakota. BOONDOGGLE.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
September 13th, 2012 at 12:44:27 PM permalink
Piping the Canadian oil to Houston so that it can be exported to Europe is not going to lower gas prices in the USA. Not even a little. It will actaully have the opposite effect because all of that oil will be in Europe instead of North America.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 13th, 2012 at 1:07:37 PM permalink

Liberals love to say, "but Keystone XL will not solve our probolems!" Insert any of what I said and replace for "Keystone XL."

Yup. They love to say 'but that will take years' and
now its been years and years and years since they
started saying that and if it had been done at the
time, it would be in place and working now. Duh.
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 42
September 13th, 2012 at 1:50:36 PM permalink
Quote: 98Clubs

Ummm, the map already shows the KEYSTONE pipleline going through N&S Dakota. BOONDOGGLE.

I think the key here is the Bakken formation, where all the oil reserves are located, is on the western border between N Dakota and Montana. The field stretches across the western border of N Dakota and into Eastern Montana. So the new pipeline route runs right through the oil rich Bakken area. That may contribute to why the existing Keystone route wants to be adjusted to the red line above.....or I guess it could be a boondoggle, that energy independence thing is over rated anyway, the Middle East is definitely settling down and we can comfortably rely on the region to provide all the fossil fuels we need going forward.

Besides, I didn't realize "boondoggle" was a criteria when dealing with "improved" infrastructure projects that "put people to work". But you have to understand my perspective.....I'm in California and we like High Speed Rail projects that will serve essentially no one in the near term. With our current state surplus, we can afford it.....and it does "put people to work" so there's that.....
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
September 17th, 2012 at 9:49:32 PM permalink
I blame supply-and-demand

Government policy does so little against 300 million Americans with such a strong desire to drive a lot, drive fast and drive big vehicles
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 17th, 2012 at 9:56:44 PM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

Piping the Canadian oil to Houston so that it can be exported to Europe is not going to lower gas prices in the USA. Not even a little. It will actaully have the opposite effect because all of that oil will be in Europe instead of North America.

And why would you think "all of the oil will be going to Europe?" Chances are much diesel will go there, unleaded will stay here. In any case, with >8% unemployment and a massive trade deficit, why would adding value to a raw product then exporting it be a bad thing? Even without high unemployment why would it be bad?

Shouldn't we export things besided printed dollars??
  • Jump to: