WTflush
  • Threads: 1
December 23rd, 2020 at 12:26:41 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

So you think people with real
money do their own grocery
shopping? Really?

\

You think people with real money cook every meal for themselves "from scratch"?
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 427
December 23rd, 2020 at 8:35:25 AM permalink
Quote: WTflush

\

You think people with real money cook every meal for themselves "from scratch"?

Almost nobody does that,
kind of a ridiculous question.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 427
December 24th, 2020 at 1:21:56 PM permalink
I really love Walmart today. Got
a last minute delivery to my
door of things I needed for
turkey stuffing. What a hassle
it would have been to drive
to the store in the snow, shop
and drive home. Would have
taken an hour at least. I feel
like I have a servant to run my
errands for me. I'm giddy with
Xmas cheer.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 16
December 24th, 2020 at 4:51:40 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I'm giddy with
Xmas cheer.

Would never have thought giddy would be a word that could be used to describe you.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 31
December 24th, 2020 at 5:34:03 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

I must have missed where Whole Foods went out of business.

Whole Foods does deliveries through Amazon (I don't know if you have to be a prime member or not) since they were bought by Amazon a couple years back.

I have never physcially been to a Whole Foods before (or since, I always deliver) they were bought by Amazon, but its a great way for local grocery deliveries if you live near a Whole Food (also they carry a lot of great vegan products unlike many other grocers). I think there is a 35 dollar minimum and a two hour window.
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 52
December 25th, 2020 at 6:55:38 AM permalink
Quote: Gandler

I have never physcially been to a Whole Foods ...

Many grocery stores have employees picking products for call-in orders. Whole Foods has that also, but...

Amazon knows where every product in each Whole Foods store is located. So, unlike other stores, Amazon knows how much time it should take a pick-up employee to walk from where the current item was retrieved for a customer order to the next item. Amazon knows if the employee is going too slow. It assumes the employee knows the location of any item in the store, can go there unimpeded, and can immediately retrieve the desired item(s). After all, that's how they do it in the big Amazon warehouses.

But, the employee takes a hit when s/he needs to verify whether the customer wanted the Low Sodium or Regular, etc. The Amazon computer knows the precise location of the Low Sodium choice, and expects the employee to know also. So, multiple order-pickers are racing up and down aisles as they try to keep up with the Amazon "timer." Add the regular staff who are stocking shelves, and it's hard to navigate oneself in the store. Not the best shopping environment, IMHO.

This is my experience, but I'd appreciate folks who may be more familiar with Amazon/Whole Foods to correct me if I am mistaken in any way.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 75
December 25th, 2020 at 7:56:28 AM permalink
I have a Whole Foods about 3 minutes from my house and I have only been there twice in 7 years. Not my kind of store since they cater to the healthy folks.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 178
December 25th, 2020 at 8:13:50 AM permalink
Was in a Whole Foods once. I understand why they nicknamed it Whole Paycheck, as the prices were 20-30% higher. That was six years ago and never went back.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 178
December 25th, 2020 at 8:14:35 AM permalink
Was in a Whole Foods once. I understand why they nicknamed it Whole Paycheck, as the prices were 20-30% higher. That was six years ago and never went back.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 31
December 25th, 2020 at 9:02:50 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

They were bought by Amazon in the last 2-3 years, and their prices were lowered after Amazon took over. This is why you can now also order local delivery from a nearby store through the Amazon app.

It is still a bit pricier than other grocers for relatively equivalent items, but they carry a lot of products that other mainstream stores do not. I agree that it is probably not the best for everyday items that you can find cheaper at competitors, but for more niche items (organic, vegan, etc....) it is a great resource.

• Jump to: