Thread Rating:

Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo
  • Threads: 15
Thanks for this post from:
Rigondeaux
February 27th, 2017 at 7:42:41 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Mileage may also vary from location to location, but I also know that at least one Wal-Mart will not price match on the Buy Any 5 (of long list of items) and get one free (one item) or the one where you buy any five (of long list of items) and each one ends up being an extra $0.50 off. I think that may be why Kroger and the more local store runs those kinds of specials all the time.

I had not thought of that, but it makes sense.

One thing price matching can be good for is when a store limits quantities. You can buy the max at one, and then head to another that will match the price.

I mentioned this above, but I run into scores of people that are not aware of it so I'll mention it again.

Many stores, perhaps most, now have programs where you sign up online and get additional discounts. I'm in the west so there is no Kroger near me but they own Fry's who has a program, and Safeway has "Just for U". You sign up online and once you've joined you can go to their website and look through additional savings. The programs vary, but most know what you buy so at least some of the offers are directly related to your usual selections. You just click on the item to "activate" it and when you scan your shoppers card at the store the additional discounts are automatically applied. It also works for store coupons, so you don't have to cut them out and bring them to the store. I've only been doing it a year or so, but one store I go to states I've saved just shy of $400 so far, and I'm not a huge shopper.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
February 27th, 2017 at 10:00:14 PM permalink
I like places like supermarkets or grocery stores that have very little or no human interaction. Also a 24 hour schedule is ideal. Walmart usually fulfills those requirements for me, at least the ones in Vegas with the self check out places.

Their prices are cheap, which I like too. A lot of people complain that Walmarts drive local businesses away and gouge the public after they shut the competitors but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Call me anti-social but I don't care to say how my day is to 50 different people who are just asking because it's their job, or to hear a story about one of your kids or whatever. I just want to buy groceries.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 65
February 28th, 2017 at 2:24:00 AM permalink
I love the lower prices at Walmart but not the attitude of the fellow customers. I was running low on time and I innocently asked a fellow customer if I could add my one item of soap to her transaction and offered to pay for it. She told me off saying something like,"Sir, you need to get the f out of my face with that BS!" Wow. What a nasty person she was being! It was an innocent question!
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 123
February 28th, 2017 at 2:58:40 AM permalink
Quote: Hullabaloo

I had not thought of that, but it makes sense.

One thing price matching can be good for is when a store limits quantities. You can buy the max at one, and then head to another that will match the price.

I mentioned this above, but I run into scores of people that are not aware of it so I'll mention it again.

Many stores, perhaps most, now have programs where you sign up online and get additional discounts. I'm in the west so there is no Kroger near me but they own Fry's who has a program, and Safeway has "Just for U". You sign up online and once you've joined you can go to their website and look through additional savings. The programs vary, but most know what you buy so at least some of the offers are directly related to your usual selections. You just click on the item to "activate" it and when you scan your shoppers card at the store the additional discounts are automatically applied. It also works for store coupons, so you don't have to cut them out and bring them to the store. I've only been doing it a year or so, but one store I go to states I've saved just shy of $400 so far, and I'm not a huge shopper.

They'll usually let you go on quantity limits if you have, "Separate orders," or if you are shopping with someone, you can just have physically separate carts. They're usually only doing that for inventory reasons because they don't want to run completely out during the sale, it doesn't have anything to do with only wanting to sell x units at the price (as some claim). That's why the quantity limits are typically only for large items or items directly brought in by an outside vendor, which usually applies to soda/pop.

Great mention on the online discounts, which WM likely wouldn't match. Furthermore, my experience with Kroger is about 50% relevant coupons and 50% seemingly random in the mail. I get a ton for fresh fruits and vegetables (which I use) but I know people who don't buy as much fresh produce from Kroger (or at all) don't get those ones.
Vultures can't be choosers.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
February 28th, 2017 at 8:44:58 AM permalink
Quote: Nathan

I love the lower prices at Walmart but not the attitude of the fellow customers. I was running low on time and I innocently asked a fellow customer if I could add my one item of soap to her transaction and offered to pay for it. She told me off saying something like,"Sir, you need to get the f out of my face with that BS!" Wow. What a nasty person she was being! It was an innocent question!

Nathan, use the self check out in that situation.

Don't pester the doomed and the downtrodden with weird requests; she probably thought you were trying to scam her.
"What, me worry?"
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
February 28th, 2017 at 9:06:25 AM permalink
Quote: djatc

I like places like supermarkets or grocery stores that have very little or no human interaction. Also a 24 hour schedule is ideal. Walmart usually fulfills those requirements for me, at least the ones in Vegas with the self check out places.

Their prices are cheap, which I like too. A lot of people

I would be one of them

Quote:

complain that Walmarts drive local businesses away and gouge the public after they shut the competitors but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Call me anti-social but I don't care to say how my day is to 50 different people who are just asking because it's their job, or to hear a story about one of your kids or whatever. I just want to buy groceries.

Gotta get you to a Publix some day. Fantastic company, great product selections, w everything anyone wants BOGO on about a six week rotation, often less. Cheaper than Wm on most with smart shopping and price matching, but fresher, cleaner. Also very good quality house brands, ethnic groceries, outstanding bakery, ok deli.

Very helpful, friendly and knowledgeable employees, though. They actually have all their aisles memorized, will walk you right to it if you say you didn't see it there, give you rainchecks good for weeks if they're out, etc. So never mind.

They pay well above minimum wage, include stock in the (very healthy) company, including that compensation along with benefits, find and hire mentally disabled people as bag boys and stockers, give all their non-sold items to the food bank BEFORE it's expired, run a food drive and angel tree every christmas, and lead the United Way drive in each community every year.

They get all my grocery business. My brother and s-i-l, when they come visit, make at least one trip there just because it's a pleasure. (I find that a bit odd, but it's their vacation.)

Walmart is cheap not because they have to be, but because they want to be.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
February 28th, 2017 at 9:18:36 AM permalink
We have Meijer here. Same as Wal-Mart, except HQ is her in Michigan, so it's basically local.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 72
February 28th, 2017 at 9:54:01 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Gotta get you to a Publix some day. Fantastic company, great product selections, w everything anyone wants BOGO on about a six week rotation, often less. Cheaper than Wm on most with smart shopping and price matching, but fresher, cleaner. Also very good quality house brands, ethnic groceries, outstanding bakery, ok deli.

Publix is a great store but it can't match Walmart for convenience. Where else can you buy groceries, a riding lawn mower, Levi's, and a pet gerbil all at the same store?
Living longer does not always infer +EV
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 123
February 28th, 2017 at 10:18:43 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Publix is a great store but it can't match Walmart for convenience. Where else can you buy groceries, a riding lawn mower, Levi's, and a pet gerbil all at the same store?

Rural King. And a flippin' handgun!
Vultures can't be choosers.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 13
March 4th, 2017 at 12:22:19 PM permalink
Quote: RonC

They are trying to trick people into buying a bigger size at a higher price.

Charging higher fees to someone because they don't understand math is not deception, it is the free market

• Jump to: