Thread Rating:

Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 123
November 30th, 2013 at 8:32:19 PM permalink
WalMart donated a crapload of water, 20M and truckloads of other items during Katrina, and other natural disasters, they're just not very publicly vocal about it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/05/AR2005090501598.html
Vultures can't be choosers.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
November 30th, 2013 at 8:44:13 PM permalink
I shopped at Walmart today.

I bought 100 syringes and insulin for my dog
train set for our tree
some food
touch up paint
tupperware
packing tape
diaper cream
laundry detergent

My total was $97.58. There is no where else that I could have gone under one roof or multiple ones and spent that little on those products. If walmart is putting the little guys out of business then I surely don't care. The little guys don't help me save money for our kids future.

There is also enough competition from other retailers like Target and online to keep them from raising prices.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
November 30th, 2013 at 9:02:07 PM permalink
I saw something peculiar a little while ago in atwater Ca....a super target and a super walmart next to each other. Not just in the same shopping center or same parking lot...niope..right next to each other.

The target was their first, and then they tell me 2 years ater walmart opened up next door.

they are in the same parkking lot, next to each other with maybe the length of 2 cars end to end seperating the buildings. They face in the same direction.

It seems walmart is not only not scared of local mom and pop stores....they also dont seem to think target is worthy competition.
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
November 30th, 2013 at 9:04:40 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

WalMart donated a crapload of water, 20M and truckloads of other items during Katrina, and other natural disasters, they're just not very publicly vocal about it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/05/AR2005090501598.html

Yeah, I said in another thread that...."Yeah, of course they did! Poor black people in New Orleans are their base. You didn't see Rolex and Mercedes-Benz running to the aid of New Orleans."
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
November 30th, 2013 at 9:10:53 PM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

I've read maybe 4 or 5 books on this subject, and I know it to be true, even though I can't name a specific company off the top of my head. Walmart even sends in management/consultant types into the town before the store is built to infiltrate the local chamber of commerce, Rotary and such to deceive those people and assure that Walmart is favorably welcomed. Then sends spies to determine local pricing, deter unions, etc. I shop there, but I know they have predatory competitive practices. Results are great prices for consumers, bad for existing local businesses. Walmart negotiates contracts with manufactures to build items at a price that Walmart dictates, not the market, then after the factory is built that builds those widgets, THEN Walmart says "we won't extend that contract unless we pay 10% less than previously determined".

Walmart didn't rise to the top by being the 'good guy'. Every company that becomes the behemoth in that field has done so through self-serving, competition-squashing methods. Can YOU, Beethoven, name any company that hasn't?

Please don't go off on a tangent like the guy I was responding to. No one is stupid enough to deny that Walmart views ALL other stores as a competitor. EVERY store views other stores that way, and for that matter, there's nothing to stop one mom-and-pop store from doing the same thing to another mom-and-pop store.

What I was responding to was a pseudo-intellectual who is completely dishonest and won't even admit that "selling a product at a loss" is a benefit to the consumer.
Fighting BS one post at a time!
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 424
November 30th, 2013 at 9:12:49 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

Are you saying Standard Oil didn't aquire the competition by any means available and then raise prices? Baloney.

They were ruthless in obtaining the monopoly, but the point
was to control costs, not so much raise them. They were
in constant price wars with competitors, so the answer was
to have no competitors. Once Standard had over 90% of
the oil business, they could control production and sales costs.
What's fascinating is, we're talking kerosene here, not gasoline.
Gas had no uses until the 20th century, and the Standard trusts
were broken up in the 1890's. Rockefeller became the richest
man the world has ever known thru a product we rarely even
use anymore, yet was the best fuel for lighting at the end of the
1800's. He sold even more overseas than in the States.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Mission146
Mission146
November 30th, 2013 at 9:13:46 PM permalink
There's a WalMart and a Target (albeit not right next to one another) at The Highlands in Dallas Pike, WV.

http://www.the-highlands.com/

In Saint Clairsville, OH, there is also a Kroger and a Wal-Mart which are in the same Ohio Valley Plaza and separated only by a little road in between them leading up to US-40. Here's a map:

http://www.thfrealty.com/docs/ohio-valley-plaza-site-plan.pdf

The map needs updated, though, Anytime Fitness is at Location #25 and has been for at least half a year. Fashion Bug has been closed for nearly a year, so I believe #7 is still vacant, although there may be something in there now. Alltel Communications, #13, is Verizon now. Whatever #19, Red Sky Wireless is supposed to be, that's not there, that space belongs to AT&T. Famous Hair, #21, has been closed for quite some time and has been some nail place for the last few months, in fact, I think the nail salon from #24 may have moved there, or there could be two nail places now.

I also don't know what they mean by, "Detention Facility," towards the bottom, there isn't anything at all there. It should also be, "Monro Muffler," not, "Monroe Muffler."

Aside from those seven of thirty-seven possible f***-ups, everything looks good. Whoever allegedly is tasked with managing that Plaza and keeping the website up-to-date needs to be fired immediately. Ugh.
LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
November 30th, 2013 at 9:13:59 PM permalink
the amount of dontions and supplies by the mom and pop stores were almost nothing...because the mom and pop strores had their own troubles. However a company made up of thousands of other stores worldwide has deeper pockets to help communities in distress. And not just communities in distress...but helping communities in good times as well. Because big corporations know that if the surrounding community deteriorates...so will their business'.
Target gives 5 percent of their profit to local communities for that reason...its a win/win policy.
Mission146
Mission146
November 30th, 2013 at 9:15:05 PM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

Yeah, I said in another thread that...."Yeah, of course they did! Poor black people in New Orleans are their base. You didn't see Rolex and Mercedes-Benz running to the aid of New Orleans."

Tremendous culture, there are few better food cities.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
November 30th, 2013 at 9:21:00 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

To quote Beethoven9th = "Google is your friend"

Sorry Beethoven, you just have to be beaten with your own stupid words.

LOL.

Mr. Tangent must be getting frustrated.

—First, he tried to ignore being called out on his s2pid statement about "selling products at a loss" not being a benefit to the consumer.
—Then he was speechless after he was asked to name just ONE instance of Walmart selling products at a higher price than a store that went out of business.
—Now he acts like he's a friend of mom-and-pop shops when we all know full well that the policies he supports (e.g., Obamacare) will put these same mom-and-pop shops out of business.

Keep digging yourself a deeper hole, dude...lol!
Fighting BS one post at a time!

• Jump to: