Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 202
September 23rd, 2021 at 6:24:42 AM permalink
There was a bar in Henderson that served really bad food. I ate there twice, as it was close to my house, and decided never to go back, so I was a little surprised that some guys at the dog park were singing its praises. It seemed management realized they couldn't fix the food so they had their waitresses wear bikinis. The food still sucked but business improved.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
September 23rd, 2021 at 10:23:28 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

[

Pre-prepped food that has been sitting tasting bad? Not a surprise.

Automat was about the ability to get your food NOW. And the fun of using a vending machine.

• link to original post

We had an automat type machine in the first factory I worked at 1968. They would bring the sandwiches about 5 a.m. and they would sit in the machine all day until 5 a.m. the next day. They tasted like cardboard. Somebody on the 3rd Shift figured out how to stick in a screwdriver when the door was open into the mechanism and the machine would think the door was closed and it would advance to the next sandwich. All of us on the third shift ate for free for a few months until they figured out how to fix it. This was not looked at as stealing for some reason it was looked at as gaming the system.
    "It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
    billryan
    billryan
    September 23rd, 2021 at 10:37:21 AM permalink
    One summer while I was in college I was lucky enough to land a ten week job at Western Electric. They'd hire a few students to help out while the guys took vacations, and it was on a lottery basis. The job paid really well for what it was and few hundred would apply for 15-20 jobs.
    Anyways, we worked the 3-11 shift and the cafeteria closed at 6PM. They'd leave coffee and some snacks out, on the honor system. One day our manager came down and said goods were being eaten and not paid for. He said this was a serious violation and any summer intern caught would be terminated on the spot. A week goes by and he tells us the same thing but is really pissed that this is going on. He says that this only started when the six of us started at this location and he is tempted to just send us all to other locations. Two or three days later, we are given a new foreman and new lead person. It turns out our manger had staked out the coffee and saw our foreman and the other guy go in and take coffee and doughnuts without paying. They were thirty year union guys so they weren't fired but they both got suspended and dropped a pay grade or two. Our former foreman was reassigned to a pretty menial position and the other guy was transferred to Staten Island, adding an hour to his commute each way.
    The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
    FastEddie
    FastEddie
    • Threads: 0
    September 23rd, 2021 at 11:17:11 AM permalink
    I love Western Electric. They invented the coffee break. Really Forget the year 1920 s I think. Hawthorne Illinois plant . Half the workers did 4 hours lunch another 4 hours. Other half took 15 minute break middle of 4 hours, lunch , another break during last 4 hours.workers who took breaks were more productive by a big margin. In behalf of all union workers Thank You Western Electric.
    billryan
    billryan
    September 23rd, 2021 at 11:25:06 AM permalink
    Sadly, Western Electric went the way of the Dodo bird.

They made the best equipment ,all for one simple reason.
    They did not sell their products. All their equipment was leased and WE was responsible for any servicing the equipment needed. Thus they made sure their stuff was as bulletproof as possible. It didn't matter if your phone was six months old or sixty years. Consumers could not own their phones, they had to lease them and to cut down on repairs, they were made to last forever.
    gamerfreak
    gamerfreak
    • Threads: 51
    September 23rd, 2021 at 2:48:22 PM permalink
    An Automat opened up in NJ this year-https://automatkitchen.com/

However, you need to order ahead of time and the food is made to order. Iím not sure if I would consider that a real Automat.
    billryan
    billryan
    September 23rd, 2021 at 3:12:05 PM permalink
    I recently attended a sales pitch for an automatic pizza machine. You supposedly can order via internet and the machine adds your toppings, cooks the pie in under two minutes, slices it( 8 or 16), boxes it and puts it in a warming dish that the buyer gets a code to access. The company thinks it can be the next Redbox. I was interested until they couldn't answer a few basic questions, and the ptch got very aggressive.
    gamerfreak
    gamerfreak
    • Threads: 51
    September 23rd, 2021 at 3:16:56 PM permalink
    Quote: billryan

I recently attended a sales pitch for an automatic pizza machine. You supposedly can order via internet and the machine adds your toppings, cooks the pie in under two minutes, slices it( 8 or 16), boxes it and puts it in a warming dish that the buyer gets a code to access. The company thinks it can be the next Redbox. I was interested until they couldn't answer a few basic questions, and the ptch got very aggressive.

• link to original post

I get ads for those all the time. Seemed sketchy.
    billryan
    billryan
    September 23rd, 2021 at 3:21:26 PM permalink
    Quote: gamerfreak

Quote: billryan

• link to original post

I get ads for those all the time. Seemed sketchy.
  • link to original post

I got a free dinner out of it.
    FastEddie
    FastEddie
    • Threads: 0
    September 23rd, 2021 at 5:25:38 PM permalink
    Aggressive pitches still around ? Guess they must still work. Wife and neighbor dragged me to Tiime share pitch. Finally owner of business pitched me. Finally pitch was him saying if I could not afford to buy this for my family, then he was sorry for me. Forget what the premiums were but we left with three of them. A year later the owner was on his way to prison for selling time shares in condominiums he did not own.

• Jump to: