Thread Rating:

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 79
September 22nd, 2021 at 10:57:39 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Going to the automat was huge.
Along the same theme, there were machines at the 1964/64 Worlds Fair where you paid for your food to a person, who punched a few buttons are your change mysteriously appeared in a tray. It was magical, especially for a six-year-old. Looking back, have no idea why it did what it did, but it was amazing.

• link to original post

I am sad to say that I never made it to an Automat. Looks like my kind of place.
    Order from chaos
    billryan
    billryan
    • Threads: 202
    September 22nd, 2021 at 11:42:55 AM permalink
    It's been brought back a few times but it wasn't the same.
    The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
    billryan
    billryan
    September 22nd, 2021 at 11:48:52 AM permalink
    It's been brought back a few times but it wasn't the same.
    I was more of a Nedicks fan, myself. They had the best orange soda and squared-off hot dog buns that were unique to them. I wrote a paper in second grade about what I wanted to do when I grew up and I said I wanted to work the counter at Nedicks. My teacher somehow had never heard of Nedicks and sent the paper home to my Mom.
    The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    • Threads: 228
    September 22nd, 2021 at 12:19:11 PM permalink
    Quote: DRich

I am sad to say that I never made it to an Automat. Looks like my kind of place.

• link to original post

There is a YT video of a sort of one in Japan. Not even manned. And immaculate. In the USA such a place would be trashed and filled with vagrants in 2 hours.
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
    billryan
    billryan
    September 22nd, 2021 at 12:28:38 PM permalink
    Quite a few starving ' "artsts" made do with a nickel bowl of hot water and some ketchup, aka instant tomato soup.
    I tried that recipe once on an ROTC Field Excercise. Unlike Ranger Pudding, I never tried it again.
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    • Threads: 434
    September 22nd, 2021 at 12:33:28 PM permalink
    Quote: AZDuffman

That is nonsense. The "Black Card" was an urban legend in the 1990s. .

• link to original post

Seinfeld talks about it in one of his Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee videos. I think he's buying a rug and the salesperson remarks on how much it card weighs and Jerry tells the story of how he got the first black AMEX card.
    "It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
    billryan
    billryan
    September 22nd, 2021 at 12:41:12 PM permalink
    Well, since he said it on the internet, it must be true, right? The black card website says that it was a pilot program in the 80s that was discontinued in 1988, the year Seinfeld debuted to very mediocre ratings.
    DRich
    DRich
    • Threads: 79
    September 22nd, 2021 at 12:46:25 PM permalink
    Quote: billryan

Quite a few starving ' "artsts" made do with a nickel bowl of hot water and some ketchup, aka instant tomato soup.
    I tried that recipe once on an ROTC Field Excercise. Unlike Ranger Pudding, I never tried it again.

• link to original post

In college I ate Baco soup, Just heat some water and a a few Baco's (artificial bacon bits) and stir. You get a slightly salty water with a hint of bacon smell.

Order from chaos
    billryan
    billryan
    September 22nd, 2021 at 12:50:56 PM permalink
    If you ever find yourself homeless, come to Bisbee. Six days a week, the various restaurants and eateries contribute food to a noon time meal where residents mix with the indigent for a fine repast.
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    • Threads: 228
    September 22nd, 2021 at 1:03:29 PM permalink
    Quote: EvenBob

Quote: AZDuffman

That is nonsense. The "Black Card" was an urban legend in the 1990s. .

• link to original post

Seinfeld talks about it in one of his Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee videos. I think he's buying a rug and the salesperson remarks on how much it card weighs and Jerry tells the story of how he got the first black AMEX card.
  • link to original post

He can claim whatever he wants. It was an urban legend for years so AMEX made it.
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others

• Jump to: