Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 203
September 18th, 2021 at 4:54:19 PM permalink
I've read around three million have perfect scores but all that says to me is they charge a lot. A great deal of people don't use credit and have no score.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
September 18th, 2021 at 5:07:32 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I've read around three million have perfect scores but all that says to me is they charge a lot. A great deal of people don't use credit and have no score.

• link to original post

If you are one of the two million in 190 million that have a perfect score you're in a pretty unique club.
    "It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
    billryan
    billryan
    September 18th, 2021 at 5:16:13 PM permalink
    It's not a club I have any interest in. I'm a cash person, or use a card and pay it off before the bill is due. I've never worshiped at Fair Issacs alter.
    The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    September 18th, 2021 at 7:10:28 PM permalink
    Quote: EvenBob

If you are one of the two million in 190 million that have a perfect score you're in a pretty unique club.]

I suspect there are far more women who have perfect scores than men. I noticed most credit card commercials are aimed at women. Women tend to be far more anal retentive about this kind of thing than men are. For instance I read single men between the ages of 19 and 45 change the sheets on their bed about three times a year. Whereas a single woman changes them twice a month. Women love to do things by the book and if there's a best score you can get on something that's what they want. My wife was valedictorian of her high school class, she had the best grades of anybody. She could not stand it if she didn't get an A in every class. Same thing with the credit score.
    billryan
    billryan
    September 18th, 2021 at 7:54:34 PM permalink
    Banks don't want people who pay the credit cards in full each month. They want people who will max out their cards and will make minimum payments for the next 120 months.
    Then when they pay on time for a few months, they reward them by increasing their credit lines.
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    • Threads: 228
    September 19th, 2021 at 4:42:49 AM permalink
    Quote: billryan

Millions of people have a perfect score of 850. A lot of people consider 810 to be perfect because the difference in your creditworthiness is so small. Since 810 will qualify you for the lowest rates in 99.9% of the cases, 810 is the score you should really work towards. After that, it is adding cherries to the top of the cherries. Tens of millions of people have scores of 810 or more.

• link to original post

The higher you get the harder it is to go higher. IOW, 700 to 710 is way easier than 800 to 810. In the 2000s they changed the algorithm now it is easier to get over 800. Before 2005 I only saw above 800 a couple times a year. After it was more common.

We were talking at the office once and a woman mentioned some guy she had started dating gave her his card to pick something or other up.

"His card was weird. It was AMEX but it was black and made of metal not plastic."

She had no idea. Then I explained it. She either didn't believe me or didn't care.
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    September 19th, 2021 at 10:25:05 AM permalink
    Quote: AZDuffman

She had no idea. Then I explained it. She either didn't believe me or didn't care.

• link to original post

Jerry Seinfeld claims he's the one that came up with the idea for the black card. He says it was an off-the-cuff idea but it got back to the president of Amex and he called Seinfeld and Jerry got the very first black card. No limit, he can buy a Ferrari and a two million-dollar New York apartment with it he wanted to.
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    • Threads: 228
    September 19th, 2021 at 1:41:26 PM permalink
    Quote: EvenBob

Quote: AZDuffman

• link to original post

Jerry Seinfeld claims he's the one that came up with the idea for the black card. He says it was an off-the-cuff idea but it got back to the president of Amex and he called Seinfeld and Jerry got the very first black card. No limit, he can buy a Ferrari and a two million-dollar New York apartment with it he wanted to.
  • link to original post

That is nonsense. The "Black Card" was an urban legend in the 1990s. AMEX got so tired of saying it did not exist that they made it exist and it is IIRC $5000 annual fee to have it. High spenders only. Invitation only.
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
    gamerfreak
    gamerfreak
    • Threads: 51
    September 22nd, 2021 at 10:51:01 AM permalink
    Quote:

At one time, there were 40 Horn & Hardart automats in New York City alone. The last one closed in 1991. Horn and Hardart converted most of its New York City locations to Burger King.

billryan
    billryan
    September 22nd, 2021 at 10:56:02 AM permalink
    Going to the automat was huge.
    Along the same theme, there were machines at the 1964/64 Worlds Fair where you paid for your food to a person, who punched a few buttons are your change mysteriously appeared in a tray. It was magical, especially for a six-year-old. Looking back, have no idea why it did what it did, but it was amazing.

• Jump to: