Thread Rating:

Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 133
January 8th, 2021 at 11:16:20 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

had to be - going away - the greatest musical of all time

"𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘳𝘦 𝘢 𝘑𝘦𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘳𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘸𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 - 𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘭𝘦 𝘣𝘰𝘺 𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘳𝘦 𝘢 𝘮𝘢𝘯 - 𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘭𝘦 𝘮𝘢𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘳𝘦 𝘢 𝘒𝘪𝘯𝘨"

Yes, a great movie made 60 years ago. Russ Tamblyn and George Chakiris are both 86 years old. Rita Moreno is 89. Richard Beymer is 82.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 427
January 9th, 2021 at 1:00:13 AM permalink
Quote: Greasyjohn

Yes, a great movie made 60 years ago. Russ Tamblyn and George Chakiris are both 86 years old. Rita Moreno is 89. Richard Beymer is 82.

Spielberg has a remake of WSS coming
out this year. Expected to be as good
or better than the orig. It was a
Broadway musical for years before
the movie.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 168
January 9th, 2021 at 2:34:23 AM permalink

there is very strong suspicion in Hollywood and elsewhere that the co-star of this movie, Natalie Wood, was murdered by her husband Robert Wagner
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jan 9, 2021
𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘦 𝘰𝘯𝘭𝘺 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳.........𝖤𝖽𝗀𝖺𝗋 𝖠𝗅𝗅𝖺𝗇 𝖯𝗈𝖾
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 18
January 9th, 2021 at 10:22:15 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

-snip-
3:38 the car in the right lane is driving towards them to make it look like they are going faster.

They definitely used audio/video movie magic tricks in that Cannonball Run opening. The time you mentioned is when the Lambo is chasing the NHP northbound in the southbound lane of U.S. 95 around sunset. It is near the El Dorado Dry Lake Bed and not far from the pet cemetery east of U.S. 95. The Wiz actually posted a video of the pet cemetery when he visited the site:
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/las-vegas-attractions/other/32003-boulder-city-pet-cemetery/2/#post705376

Jimmy the Greek also made a cameo appearance in the film. He co-wrote a biography about his life:
Farewell Jimmy the Greek: The Wizard of Odds
https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-1-57168-144-7

And of course there was a memorable Farrah Fawcett bar scene:

Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
January 9th, 2021 at 1:14:48 PM permalink
Quote: Keeneone

They definitely used audio/video movie magic tricks in that Cannonball Run opening. The time you mentioned is when the Lambo is chasing the NHP northbound in the southbound lane of U.S. 95 around sunset. It is near the El Dorado Dry Lake Bed and not far from the pet cemetery east of U.S. 95. The Wiz actually posted a video of the pet cemetery when he visited the site:
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/las-vegas-attractions/other/32003-boulder-city-pet-cemetery/2/#post705376

Jimmy the Greek also made a cameo appearance in the film. He co-wrote a biography about his life:
Farewell Jimmy the Greek: The Wizard of Odds
https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-1-57168-144-7

And of course there was a memorable Farrah Fawcett bar scene:

Say what you like about Burt Reynolds but he was great in Deliverance.

Around 1978 when I lived in an apartment in North Hollywood, there was a pinball arcade and miniature golf attraction nearby. I was in there with a friend of mine when in walks Burt Reynolds and Sally Field. They went out to the miniature golf area to take in the setting, possibly for some shoot they were going to do. No entourage, securitynothing. My friend Richard said to me that he just had to go out there and get Burt Reynolds autograph for his wife. I followed him out there and my friend got the autographs of both Burt Reynolds and Sally Field. Burt Reynolds turned to me and said something like, do you want one too, or something to that affect. I indicated that I didnt want to trouble him. I was somewhat star struck.
Last edited by: Greasyjohn on Jan 9, 2021
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 9th, 2021 at 1:37:14 PM permalink

I followed him out there and my friend got the autographs of both Burt Reynolds and Sally Fields. Burt Reynolds turned to me and said something like, "do you want one too"

I was about 12 years old way down at DC Stadium, far away from my suburban home after the Yankees/Senators game - no parents with us - just me and my buddy
after the game we waited outside by the Yankees bus - we wanted to get Mantle and Maris's and other Yankees autographs
they wouldn't give - none of them - they bolted right past us into the bus - all of the Yankees
when they got into the bus they looked out the window and made faces at us - making fun of us
they were real jerks

now on MeTv I watch old episodes of "Gunsmoke" - and I was really surprised how good a show that is - of course the gunfights, but there are great storylines
I think it was Burt Reynolds' first work as an actor - he plays the blacksmith who is half Indian - he did a real good job with it - this is around 1961

𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘦 𝘰𝘯𝘭𝘺 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳.........𝖤𝖽𝗀𝖺𝗋 𝖠𝗅𝗅𝖺𝗇 𝖯𝗈𝖾
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 167
January 9th, 2021 at 1:39:23 PM permalink

Say what you like about Burt Reynolds but he was great in Deliverance.

Roles Burt Reynolds turned down. Maybe he felt he wasn't right for them, but still... yikes.

Quote:

James Bond. ...
Michael Corleone in The Godfather ...
Han Solo in Star Wars ...
Richard Gere's Role in Pretty Woman ...
Jack Nicholson's Role in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 9th, 2021 at 10:28:35 PM permalink

Fletcher Christian meets his future wife for the first time in "Mutiny on the Bounty"

in real life Marlon Brando married her

Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
January 10th, 2021 at 4:45:29 AM permalink
He also was married Movita, who played the same role in the 1935 version of Mutiny On The Bounty.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 167
January 20th, 2021 at 12:22:15 PM permalink
Was in Starbucks this morning and I saw a female barista wearing a mask with the Playboy symbol (bunny rabbit head with bowtie) prominently displayed. I don't think there was a person working in there old enough to actually recognize the logo, although I'm sure an older customer would probably mention it sooner or later.

I didn't.

It is a cute ornament I suppose aside from knowing the actual connection.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?

• Jump to: