of the TV.

Get Smart, F Troop, Lost
in Space, Gomer Pyle, The Virginian,
Combat, The Fugitive, The Invaders,
Family Affair, Run For Your Life,
Gilligan, Monkee's, we absolutely
adored all these shows. TV has never
been as good since the mid 60's.
It was the polar opposite of 'terrible'.
That was the 70's and 80's.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 304
September 6th, 2020 at 5:14:41 PM permalink
Maybe you still can buy cans you open this way, but I think the last time I saw anything to buy that was opened this way was mid-90s?

If right, that means if you are 30 years old or less that you may not even be aware this was how some cans were opened back in the day

apparently you have to click on the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLFYgkgHvr0

the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 155
September 11th, 2020 at 2:52:54 PM permalink
"The Honeymooners" was one of the greatest old shows IMO - maybe 𝐭𝐡𝐞 greatest

Ralph (Jackie Gleason) always had big ideas, big plans - and they always got shot down
his friend Ed Norton (Art Carney) was priceless as a character

𝘱𝘢𝘵𝘳𝘪𝘰𝘵: 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘸𝘩𝘰 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘩𝘰𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘳 𝘭𝘰𝘶𝘥𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘩𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘩𝘰𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵............. ᴍᴀʀᴋ ᴛᴡᴀɪɴ
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 424
September 12th, 2020 at 10:20:58 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

Maybe you still can buy cans you open this way,

All corned beef cans open that
way. I have 10 cans in the pantry
right now.

"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 175
September 12th, 2020 at 11:43:25 AM permalink
It's amazing the original honeymooners only lasted one season. I grew up watching the skits on the Jackie Gleason show in the mid-1960s and always thought they were a bit of a ripoff of The Flintstones.
Then they made the original series available on late night tv and their fame just exploded. A few years later, some lost episodes were found, many of which would have been better off staying lost. The original pilot is not in syndication and is terrible, imho.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 13th, 2020 at 1:52:35 AM permalink
when I was 15 I badly wanted to work. I wanted to make $$$$$$
somebody told me that the local bowling alley might hire me as a pinsetter
I went and talked to the Manager - he said he might hire me - but he gave me a warning
he told me the ball would sometimes take an odd bounce and it could hit me in the head.....................(-:\

$.50 𝘢𝘯 𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘐 𝘮𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘩𝘪𝘵 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘥 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘢 𝘣𝘰𝘸𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘣𝘢𝘭𝘭......................(-:\

𝘱𝘢𝘵𝘳𝘪𝘰𝘵: 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘸𝘩𝘰 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘩𝘰𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘳 𝘭𝘰𝘶𝘥𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘩𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘩𝘰𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵............. ᴍᴀʀᴋ ᴛᴡᴀɪɴ
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
September 13th, 2020 at 8:39:39 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

It's amazing the original honeymooners only lasted one season. I grew up watching the skits on the Jackie Gleason show in the mid-1960s and always thought they were a bit of a ripoff of The Flintstones.
Then they made the original series available on late night tv and their fame just exploded. A few years later, some lost episodes were found, many of which would have been better off staying lost. The original pilot is not in syndication and is terrible, imho.

Other way around of course. Flintstones was a spoof of "The Honeymooners" and "The Simpsons" is now spoofing "The Simpsons" which shows how solid the concept was.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 175
September 13th, 2020 at 10:11:34 AM permalink
In the Honeymooners pilot, if one can call it a pilot, Ralph is married to a much older woman and the two of them seem to hate each other. Art Carney plays an extra and the whole skit was rather dark. I wonder if Jackie Gleason had any inkling he would en up playing the angry bus driver for the next two decades. In the 1960s, The Jackie Gleason show often featured Honeymooner skits, in favr sometimes the whole show would be a Honeymooners skit. I'm not sure they are available today.
Strange digression time- My Dad was away much, if not most of the time but when he was home he ruled our tv with an iron hand. We kids could make suggestions but he had the ultimate say so.
One Sunday night, we are watching the Jackie Gleason show and he falls asleep. Usually, when he was home, he would then switch to another show he liked. This time, he is sleeping and we are afraid to change the channel so we end up watching the next show. A stupid show about a bunch of tourists who go on a three-hour boat tour.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 13th, 2020 at 5:10:46 PM permalink
a sad remembrance
in 1975, 2 little girls, Sheila and Katherine Lyons, ages 10 and 12 disappeared in Wheaton, Maryland about 2 miles from my home
along with dozens of other people I searched the neighborhood and the woods looking for them but to no avail
they were never found
42 years later, in 2017, Lloyd Welch plead guilty to their murders - he was a maintenance man at Wheaton Plaza, a large shopping center

now, this is not all that unusual
back then, it was unheard of
still haunts me to this day

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murders_of_Katherine_and_Sheila_Lyon#Lloyd_Welch
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 166
September 13th, 2020 at 9:44:08 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

when I was 15 I badly wanted to work. I wanted to make $$$$$$
somebody told me that the local bowling alley might hire me as a pinsetter
I went and talked to the Manager - he said he might hire me - but he gave me a warning
he told me the ball would sometimes take an odd bounce and it could hit me in the head.....................(-:\

$.50 𝘢𝘯 𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘐 𝘮𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘩𝘪𝘵 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘥 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘢 𝘣𝘰𝘸𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘣𝘢𝘭𝘭......................(-:\

And that's where word "pinhead" originates.

jk

(although I did check to make sure it didn't)
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?

• Jump to: