Thread Rating:

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 217
July 9th, 2018 at 12:16:31 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

If some kid is enterprising enough, say a checker someplace or assistant vending machine helper and collects the silver coins still floating through them, they could still buy gas for .25 gallon or several cheap burgers.

Good luck with that, they are now at least 55 years old and I don't remember seeing one in circulation in at least 10 and probably 20 years. None. One if that.

"The American Dream" really lasted just 20 years, 1945-1965. The coins were just the beginning. The LBJ years caused 20 years of horrible inflation. That was the end of "one income" families. We broke the back of inflation by 1983 or so. But we are now addicted to it. From the family buying a first home to the Feds, everyone counts on the cost of debt being eroded by inflation. Most corporations cook price increases, most of which are inflation, into making their numbers.

It is why Bitcoin scares governments to death. If Bitcoin gets acceptance, we for the first time ever have a deflationary currency mixed with an inflationary one.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
Thanks for this post from:
RogerKintbeachbumbabs
July 9th, 2018 at 12:42:48 PM permalink
Remember when you'd get hurt and then just, like, heal? The entire process was Ow, then wait a little bit, then you were fine again.

Wtf ever happened to that?
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 68
Thanks for this post from:
RogerKint
July 9th, 2018 at 1:36:20 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Remember when you'd get hurt and then just, like, heal? The entire process was Ow, then wait a little bit, then you were fine again.

Wtf ever happened to that?

Parents started letting their kids play soccer.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
July 9th, 2018 at 2:10:39 PM permalink
I took a college Phys Ed course in soccer for half a semester in the fall (maybe the spring) of 1964 -- the schedule called for two sports per semester. That was the only instruction I ever had regarding that game and the only time I ever played it in any sort of organized fashion.

And they didn't even teach us how to fake being injured by the defender! The coach/instructor must not have understood how the sport was really played at the advanced level.

;-)
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 421
July 9th, 2018 at 2:49:08 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

I took a college Phys Ed course in soccer for half a semester in the fall (maybe the spring) of 1964

The summer of 64 was the best summer
of my life. I saved up and my parents
paid half for a motor scooter. I was 15
and it was thrilling every time I rode that
summer. I had to do it early in the morning
because I had no license yet.

Getting out there at 6am and feeling the sun
and wind on my face, the freedom to go
places I'd never been, just the pure fun of
it, I never experienced anything like that
again.

This was it, a Bridgestone 50cc. Even had an
electric start. I loved the thing..

"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
July 9th, 2018 at 4:16:31 PM permalink
The summer of '64, I had my first ever job working for the government. Any government. US Civil Service, GS-4, I think at the fantastic rate of $2.30/hr. You probably had more fun than I did.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 9th, 2018 at 4:46:49 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

The summer of '64, I had my first ever job working for the government. Any government. US Civil Service, GS-4, I think at the fantastic rate of $2.30/hr.

Min wage in '64 was $1.25. I was picking
apples and peaches in '65 for $1 an hour
and glad to get it. That winter I worked
at a car wash for $1.25, in 10 above zero
weather my pants were solid ice at the end
of the shift.

Good work if you can get it:

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 154
July 9th, 2018 at 5:43:14 PM permalink
When McDonald's came to NY/ Long Island in 1968 and started advertising, you could get two cheeseburgers, French fries and a soda for under a buck. They didn't have big Macs, only offered coke and orange soda and had no restaurant. You ordered from one window and, picked up at another. Not ideal in cold weather. I remember reading that there had to be five miles between stores and thinking my neighborhood was more than that from the closest one. Sure enough, that spring we got one.
Before McDonald's, New York had Wetsons.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 9th, 2018 at 5:48:47 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I remember reading that there had to be five miles between stores

Must have been a regional thing. In the
60's and 70's all the McD's in the county
were owned by one guy. There was at
least a dozen of them. Another guy
owned all the Burger Kings. By the
80's they were both multi millionaires.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 217
July 9th, 2018 at 5:57:58 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

When McDonald's came to NY/ Long Island in 1968 and started advertising, you could get two cheeseburgers, French fries and a soda for under a buck. They didn't have big Macs, only offered coke and orange soda and had no restaurant. You ordered from one window and, picked up at another. Not ideal in cold weather. I remember reading that there had to be five miles between stores and thinking my neighborhood was more than that from the closest one. Sure enough, that spring we got one.
Before McDonald's, New York had Wetsons.

As late as the late 1990s, probably still, LI McDonald's were the only ones to not put mustard on burgers. I have yet to find out why.

Quote: EvenBob

Must have been a regional thing. In
60's and 70's all the McD's in the county
were owned by one guy. There was at
least a dozen of them. Another guy
owned all the Burger Kings. By the
80's they were both multi millionaires.

Pre-1970s it was very hard to get more than one MCD, except there were a few early markets where Kroc sold the territory rights. Pittsburgh, DC, and IIRC parts of MI. The MI one was a fluke as Kroc's #2 was fed up and caved on the demand of the franchisee.

Northern stores often had "winterfronts" but not all. The ones by me had about 10 indoor tables. It became obvious fast that the no-seats idea had flaws.

Winterfront
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing

• Jump to: