reno
reno
  • Threads: 124
March 4th, 2012 at 8:38:38 AM permalink
Quote: DorothyGale

He called every woman in the country who uses birth control a slut and prostitute who should post movies of themselves having sex.

Rush has inflicted serious damage to the Republican brand this week. How come these clowns haven't figured out that women can vote? Either Rush is far dumber than we thought, or his goal is to get Democrats elected.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
March 4th, 2012 at 1:07:45 PM permalink
Limbaugh is a clown. I don't really mean that in a mean way either, I mean that in the sense of the court jester. He's paid very well to say outrageous things, make blow hard comments and court controversy and "say what other people are thinking", to prick the liberals, the centrists and a sub-set of the right, too.

I find him about as funny as a trip to the dentist, but other people are happy enough to listen to his brand polemic. This is just Rush doing his job... possibly badly in this case if it causes ad money to desert his show.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 211
March 4th, 2012 at 4:16:31 PM permalink
Quote: reno

Rush has inflicted serious damage to the Republican brand this week. How come these clowns haven't figured out that women can vote? Either Rush is far dumber than we thought, or his goal is to get Democrats elected.

Maybe a 3rd option. He's spewed so much crap
for so long he can't control what he says any
longer.

In any event, I saw a news blurb that he has
apologized to the young lady. So clearly the
backlash from the advertisers got his attention.
You know the type always acting cool, Pretender;Take the risk or give up your cards, Pretender, Oh, Oh. - Iris/Avsec
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 219
March 5th, 2012 at 6:38:19 AM permalink
Quote: reno

I really doubt this. By your logic Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey (plus others) did damage to the Democrat Brand by their treatment of Sarah Palin.

What Rush did was make the point that women who want to use birth control should pay for it themselves, not expect me to do so. And he is 100% correct on that point.

Maybe he used the word "slut" because conservatives are routinely called "racist-sexist-bigot-homophopes" and he figured that is how liberals liked to be communicated with?

POTUS Santorum or Romney can repeal this nonsense in 2013......
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
thecesspit
thecesspit
March 5th, 2012 at 7:27:01 AM permalink
What about the pill used for cases which help prevent very painful gynacological problems? This was one tye cases the lady in question was campaigning for, but the Catholic schools insurance would not pay for it as it was birth control...
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
mrjjj
mrjjj
  • Threads: 75
March 5th, 2012 at 12:15:08 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I really doubt this. By your logic Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey (plus others) did damage to the Democrat Brand by their treatment of Sarah Palin.

What Rush did was make the point that women who want to use birth control should pay for it themselves, not expect me to do so. And he is 100% correct on that point.

Maybe he used the word "slut" because conservatives are routinely called "racist-sexist-bigot-homophopes" and he figured that is how liberals liked to be communicated with?

POTUS Santorum or Romney can repeal this nonsense in 2013......

"I really doubt this. By your logic Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey (plus others) did damage to the Democrat Brand by their treatment of Sarah Palin" >>> Yep, I agree.
It should be SAME RULES FOR EVERYONE, right guys? ;)

Ken
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 5th, 2012 at 3:13:07 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

What about the pill used for cases which help prevent very painful gynacological problems? This was one tye cases the lady in question was campaigning for, but the Catholic schools insurance would not pay for it as it was birth control...

If it isn't covered it isn't covered and you know that going in. So the lady needs to pay for it herself. Just because it is "the pill" is no different than if they choose not to pay for any other type of covereage. There are other employers out there.

The real answer should be eliminate all of these "mandated coverages" and let the insurance companies offer a wide range of coverage, then wean people off the employer paying and you just get a higher base salary but have to buy your own coverage. See how many people would "favor" those plans when they see the bill come out of their own pocket.
thecesspit
thecesspit
March 5th, 2012 at 4:24:25 PM permalink

If it isn't covered it isn't covered and you know that going in. So the lady needs to pay for it herself. Just because it is "the pill" is no different than if they choose not to pay for any other type of covereage. There are other employers out there.

It's often hard to know what IS covered by a plan. It would be odd that certain medicines for prevention of a certain type of problem weren't covered. I realize there's a lot of exceptions and if-ands-buts in healthcare.

Generally on -birth control- being covered or not, I think it's a fine statement for a company to make. I'd find it odd to say "well we can't prescribe you drug X as it has these two effects, and though we are using it for something other than birth control, we can't give it to you, cos we don't cover birth control". I -personally- don't think there's any problem with medical coverage covering birth control.

The Pill is free under the National Health Service in the UK. It's not free in British Columbia, but you can get assistance to pay for the cheapest brands, and the cost is around $30/month for the standard pill... which is not for everyone.

Quote:

The real answer should be eliminate all of these "mandated coverages" and let the insurance companies offer a wide range of coverage, then wean people off the employer paying and you just get a higher base salary but have to buy your own coverage. See how many people would "favor" those plans when they see the bill come out of their own pocket.

Remember in this case, it was about the coverage mandated/given by the college. These aren't always items people have control over. Not everyone has free and easy transfer of movement between work. That said, I would say user pays all coverage could work. If it's cheap and broad enough to cover the majority.

The answer is either a) non-employment led medical coverage or b) full state-led coverage (the "european model"). I do agree that the option c used in the US (as you've described it) is neither fish, not foul and serves no-one very well. I also agree that we can argue until the next 30th of February about on option a over option b. I think we know my general view on that anyways.
reno
reno
  • Threads: 124
March 5th, 2012 at 5:30:26 PM permalink

What Rush did was make the point that women who want to use birth control should pay for it themselves, not expect me to do so. And he is 100% correct on that point... POTUS Santorum or Romney can repeal this nonsense in 2013......

Hey AZDuffman, does it bother you that Santorum voted to give away free free birth control at the taxpayers' expense?

Here's the transcript from his February 16th appearance on Fox News:

GRETA VAN SUSTEREN: "In terms of your views on contraception and your religious beliefs -- and everyone comes to the office of the president with certain religious beliefs -- is it something that would in any way -- you know, be -- would it -- I mean, is there any way it would be imposed on the American people? Or is it something that's -- you know, how would we see it in policy, if at all?"

SANTORUM: "Well, good. I -- you know, just look at my record. I mean, I have been criticized by -- by -- I think it was Governor Romney or maybe it was Congressman Paul's campaign for voting for contraception, that I voted for funding for it, which is -- I think it's -- I think it's Title 10, which is -- which I have voted for in the past, that provides for free contraception through organizations, even like Planned Parenthood. And so, you know, it's funny that on the conservative side, I'm getting ripped for having voted for this."

(Earlier in the interview, Santorum said, ďIíve had a consistent record on this of supporting womenís right to have contraception. Iíve supported funding for it.Ē In 2006, Santorum struck much the same note, saying that ďfrom a governmental point of view I support Title X, I guess it is, and have voted for contraception, although I donít think it works. I think itís harmful to women.Ē)
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 5th, 2012 at 7:02:42 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Remember in this case, it was about the coverage mandated/given by the college. These aren't always items people have control over. Not everyone has free and easy transfer of movement between work. That said, I would say user pays all coverage could work. If it's cheap and broad enough to cover the majority.

The problem we have today is that we do not have "health insurance" what we have is some kind of "health service plan" that calls itself insurance. Similar to if you buy a service plan for an automobile or appliance and some things are covered and some are not but you want some assurance that your payments will be level in good months and bad.

"Insurance" means coverage for the unexpected loss. Now look at some things "health insurance" covers. Birth control; massages; gym memberships; substance abuse; who knows how many more. The poor guy who just wants hospitalization in case of an accident or serious illness is SOL under what Obama proposes. And not just Obama, most states require all this non-insurance "insurance" to some extent or another.

It is as if you walked onto the car lot wanting a Hyundai to get you back and forth to work and the salesman says, "Sory, AZD, but you can't buy one anymore. IO can offer you a nice BMW 3-Series with 100% maintainence for the first 4 years." At the same time, the government says we all have to buy an "approved" car or be sent to prison for not doing so. Then when so many people cannor afford the "approved" car the government says, "well, cars cost too much, so we will take over the car companies and you all now must take the bus."

Give me freedom, not "free stuff."

• Jump to: