22 votes (20.75%)
42 votes (39.62%)

106 members have voted

Boney526
Boney526
  • Threads: 8
November 18th, 2012 at 10:40:32 AM permalink
Quote: reno

If a guy grows marijuana in his backyard and smokes it in his own home, it's definitely a crime. But I can't figure out who the victim is.

Maybe the shareholders of Anheiser-Busch are the victims because they didn't get his money?

So then.... what natural laws did he break to warrant it being a crime? None!

So it's really a crime that the government would imprison people for personal behavior that doesn't directly harm any other person.
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
November 18th, 2012 at 3:59:00 PM permalink
Lets see... what are the CONSEQUENCES of smoking MJ? Impaired thought-processes (if NOT you AINT stoned !), Risk of injury/Death to others (you don't count doper, you can't be a victim to yourself after all you can grow it and smoke it WITHOUT being a victim), impovrishment due to lack of employment, (it may be legal, but a Co. can consider you unfit to work for such Co.), and lowering of your base-line health (its those damn munchies, and the clogging of the lungs from the smoke). Just a few thoughts to consider.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
November 18th, 2012 at 5:14:39 PM permalink
" Just a few thoughts to consider. "

You have convinced me. We definitely need to outlaw alcohol and tobacco immediately !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
November 18th, 2012 at 10:41:17 PM permalink
Well, I just think that adding more stuff to the legal list for common usage like MJ, cocaine, heroin, etc. probably isn't in everyones best interest.
Nonetheless, I do agree MJ should be legal, priced at US$50/oz, with a $50/oz tax applied. Hemp (sativa strain) used to make the best lasso West of the St. John's River.

"Drugs let you expand your mind"
So does physical fitness and a good education. But then, like always in Human History... its social education (Intellectual Welfare) vs. intelligence education.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
QuadDeuces
QuadDeuces
  • Threads: 25
November 19th, 2012 at 12:20:55 AM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

I'd say YES on most drugs.

Clearly, the current policy is ludicrous. Huge costs, little effect.

Disagree completely. There has been plenty of effect.

Militarization of local law enforcement.
Kick doors down, shoot people and dogs, sometimes at the wrong address, and ask questions later.
4th amendment gutted (I smell marijuana so I'll just take a look in your trunk).
5th amendment gutted (property forfeiture. burden's on you to get it back. good luck with that, bro.)

What's missing is any benefit to American society.
QuadDeuces
QuadDeuces
  • Threads: 25
November 19th, 2012 at 12:25:44 AM permalink
Quote: 98Clubs

Nonetheless, I do agree MJ should be legal, priced at US$50/oz, with a $50/oz tax applied.

Why does every discussion of marijuana freedom come down to taxing it? Because the government does such a wonderful job with the tax dollars it already collects it should be rewarded with even more? God help us if we eliminate a failed government prohibition without creating a government bureaucracy in its wake.

If you listen to the drug warriors, marijuana is already a burden on society.

By a show of hands, who does not smoke pot now and would smoke enough to become a burden on society if it were made legal tomorrow?
Boney526
Boney526
November 19th, 2012 at 12:31:41 PM permalink
Quote: 98Clubs

Lets see... what are the CONSEQUENCES of smoking MJ? Impaired thought-processes (if NOT you AINT stoned !), Risk of injury/Death to others (you don't count doper, you can't be a victim to yourself after all you can grow it and smoke it WITHOUT being a victim), impovrishment due to lack of employment, (it may be legal, but a Co. can consider you unfit to work for such Co.), and lowering of your base-line health (its those damn munchies, and the clogging of the lungs from the smoke). Just a few thoughts to consider.

The point is that the consequences of drug use are not a illegitimate matter of federal concern. States and local government can be inclined to regulate drugs, I'd rather they don't regulate much.

And I agree with the sentiment that drugs should not be legalized just so that they can be taxed. We should strive to eliminate taxes in general and lower spending - rather than produce new revenues to uselessly try to keep up with spending increases.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
November 19th, 2012 at 12:51:12 PM permalink
" If a guy grows marijuana in his backyard and smokes it in his own home, it's definitely a crime. But I can't figure out who the victim is. "

Can you figure out the crime when a meth lab blows up and innocent kids are killed ?
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
bbvk05
bbvk05
  • Threads: 7
November 19th, 2012 at 1:17:39 PM permalink
Quote: QuadDeuces

Why does every discussion of marijuana freedom come down to taxing it? Because the government does such a wonderful job with the tax dollars it already collects it should be rewarded with even more? God help us if we eliminate a failed government prohibition without creating a government bureaucracy in its wake.

It's okay Quad, he does not like marijuana users so it is okay to punitively tax them.
Boney526
Boney526
November 21st, 2012 at 4:27:05 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

" If a guy grows marijuana in his backyard and smokes it in his own home, it's definitely a crime. But I can't figure out who the victim is. "

Can you figure out the crime when a meth lab blows up and innocent kids are killed ?

Well I figure when you blow anything up and innocent people are killed then those innocent people are the victims. The fact that, in your hypothetical, it was a meth lab really isn't relevant to me. Would it be any different if someone blows up say.... IDK... a car and kills someone?

What about a drunk guy who decides to get start a fight? Obviously their behavior - starting a fight - should be illegal. Although I won't make the argument that being drunk should also be illegal. I think that same logic is applicable to marijuana, meth, and indeed all drugs.

• Jump to: