mrjjj
mrjjj
  • Threads: 75
July 23rd, 2011 at 8:24:53 PM permalink
This is a question I read, I am repeating it. Try and remember that little fact, thanks kids.

This is for the white folks but could be asked to the black folks, the question would then be reversed.

Whatever, here we go.........You are at a bus stop waiting for, yep, a bus. Its a nice day out, no rain/cold and you are going to the mall, no rush to get there.

The ride is 40 minutes. The first bus that will be coming is full of black folks. (Its hypothetical, just play along) All black. The neighborhood? In terms of crime, its an average U.S. ghetto city. After that bus, 8 minutes later another bus will be arriving, its all white folks on it. Which bus do you get on?

What I have read.....If you say you would get on the white bus, you are a racist. If you say you would get on the black bus, you are lying. So which is it?

Let me guess. I'll get all kinds of 'what if' questions in order to NOT answer the question. Any responses without WHITE bus or BLACK bus.....really is not answering. (big shock!) My answer? The white bus. You see, I just saved at least 20 worthless posts slamming me for not answering. (lol)

Ken
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 119
July 23rd, 2011 at 8:39:16 PM permalink
If I'm comfortable taking a bus in whatever city I am in, I'm comfortable going on the first bus that arrives.
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear 
  • Threads: 178
July 23rd, 2011 at 10:08:18 PM permalink
There is no guarantee that the racial makeup of the second bus would be any different than the first bus. The fact is, the racial makeup of the bus, reflects that of the neighborhood, so the next bus will probably be the same.

Therefore, I'll get on the first bus.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁 Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition. 🤗
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
July 23rd, 2011 at 10:19:38 PM permalink
A couple of thoughts:

(1) Change the experment to say that there are two buses coming from two different neighbourhoods. One arrives 5 minutes after the other. The first bus has blacks on it from a ghetto neighbourhood, and the whites on it are from where?

It's important to distinguish what neighborhood their from. Are they from the skinhead neighborhood? The christian fundamentalist neighbourhood? Then I would take the 1st bus. The connotation of just assuming that the white neighborhood is one where crime is low is the assumption but we don't know that for sure. Not enough to answer the question.

But I'll take a leap. If a bus full of blacks comes 5 minutes before a bus full of whites, generally speaking, I'll get on the 1st bus. The bus is going to the mall, which is where I am going.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
mrjjj
mrjjj
  • Threads: 75
July 23rd, 2011 at 10:32:19 PM permalink
The question is somewhat geared around stereotyping. Which I'm a big fan of.

Ken
seviay
seviay
  • Threads: 16
July 25th, 2011 at 9:03:54 AM permalink
You can have a bus full of annoying black people or annoying white people -- or a "dangerous" bus of any race/color, so it's not a simple question of black vs. white. If it's going to be a bunch of loud, annoying, or threatening people, I'll choose the other bus. I've been annoyed by every race, color, and age imaginable ... and likewise, I've felt threatened or endangered by many different races, colors, and nationalities.

All things being equal, most people would choose a bus with people they believe are more like themselves. That's not racist or xenophobic, it's just science.

As for me, I hate people in general. So, enjoy your bus ride. I'll be in my rental car.
PerpetualNewbie
PerpetualNewbie
  • Threads: 3
July 25th, 2011 at 9:22:36 AM permalink
Oh, the white folks hate the black folks,
And the black folks hate the white folks.
To hate all but the right folks
Is an old established rule.

But during National Brotherhood Week, National Brotherhood Week,
Lena Horne and Sheriff Clarke are dancing cheek to cheek.
It's fun to eulogize
The people you despise,
As long as you don't let 'em in your school.

Oh, the poor folks hate the rich folks,
And the rich folks hate the poor folks.
All of my folks hate all of your folks,
It's American as apple pie.

New Yorkers love the Puerto Ricans 'cause it's very chic.
Step up and shake the hand
Of someone you can't stand.
You can tolerate him if you try.

Oh, the Protestants hate the Catholics,
And the Catholics hate the Protestants,
And the Hindus hate the Muslims,
And everybody hates the Jews.

It's National Everyone-smile-at-one-another-hood Week.
Be nice to people who
Are inferior to you.
It's only for a week, so have no fear.
Be grateful that it doesn't last all year!
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
July 25th, 2011 at 9:29:17 AM permalink
I take the black bus 10 times a week. Hurry or not, sitting around waiting for the second bus is much more annoying to me than just about anything that a bus full of people could do.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
gambler
gambler
  • Threads: 112
July 25th, 2011 at 9:35:50 AM permalink
Search on YouTube - Avenue Q Musical, "Everyone's a Little Bit Racist"

Great song, funny as anything. Personally, I would take the first bus to get to my bus stop.
OneAngryDwarf
OneAngryDwarf
  • Threads: 44
July 25th, 2011 at 9:53:31 AM permalink
I'm reminded of when I took a trip to Atlanta five or so years ago. At the time, I was attending college in New York City, where just about everyone takes the subway, so that's what I was used to.

It only took a couple of trips on MARTA to wonder..."Why am I always the only white person on the train?"

I would be lying if I said I didn't feel a little uncomfortable, even though I didn't experience any problems. It's just a sad part of our human nature, we're all more comfortable around people who are similar to us in some way. And yes, the Avenue Q song sums it up beautifully.
"I believe I've passed the age/of consciousness and righteous rage/I've found that just surviving was a noble fight... I once believed in causes too/I had my pointless point of view/And life went on no matter who was wrong or right..." --Billy Joel

• Jump to: