Virgi
Virgi
  • Threads: 0
May 2nd, 2011 at 11:29:43 AM permalink
Here's the explanation from the administration on why "the body" was dumped at sea so quickly:

The reason is bound up within Islamic practice and tradition. And that practice calls for the body of the deceased to be buried within 24 hours, according to a U.S. official, who spoke on Monday on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive national security matters.
Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/05/02/why-was-bin-laden-buried-at-sea-so-quickly/#ixzz1LDlQxpO2

So we're going to honor this guy by strictly following his religious requirements? Have you ever heard such bullshit in your life?
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 166
May 2nd, 2011 at 11:31:04 AM permalink
...you know, if they show the body burning on a pile of Qurans.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
avargov
avargov
  • Threads: 16
May 2nd, 2011 at 11:31:26 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

No insult was intended. I was trying to say that at some point skepticism can go too far, as in the case of the Flat Earth Society. In this case, I find it much more plausible that the Bin Laden killing went down as reported than the whole thing being a fraud. You may choose to doubt it. Normally I admire skepticism, but like anything, it can be taken too far.

No offence was taken on your comment Wiz. And I certainly understand your position. I am just bringing up some points that are being discussed in a press conference right now. Of course, my questions may well be answered in a few days. I do have trouble with the way they are being answered now, and I hope when it all comes out, it is on the up and up.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
May 2nd, 2011 at 11:32:37 AM permalink
Quote: kp

What proof would you like to see and what would be generally acceptable as something not faked?

See, part of the proof is in German, so they'd have to translate it for you. And you have to go fly in to see it--they can't just post it on their website.

It's complicated.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
May 2nd, 2011 at 11:33:26 AM permalink
Quote: Virgi

So we're going to honor this guy by strictly following his religious requirements? Have you ever heard such bullshit in your life?

Not so much honor him, but his family and the other members of his Faith. We're already fearing a backlash after OBL's death, it does seem kind of reasonable to limit it by respecting the body.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 166
May 2nd, 2011 at 11:34:58 AM permalink
Have they interviewed any of the survivors in the compound? His family? Of course, they could all be actors and agents of the U.S. government.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
avargov
avargov
  • Threads: 16
May 2nd, 2011 at 11:36:10 AM permalink
Quote: kp

What proof would you like to see and what would be generally acceptable as something not faked?

I personally would be OK with a picture of a guy with a bullet hole through his left eye. With the pics I have seen of our own wounded troops, I don't thnk it would be too distasteful.

I am not so out there that I would dismiss anything put in front of me, however, being given no tangible proof makes me pause.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
May 2nd, 2011 at 11:41:35 AM permalink
Quote: FarFromVegas

See, part of the proof is in German, so they'd have to translate it for you. And you have to go fly in to see it--they can't just post it on their website.

It's complicated.

I hear also Obama is demanding a $7 trillion bet be placed, with the money to be deposited in advance to his campaign fund (just to hold it, mind you).
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
May 2nd, 2011 at 11:42:30 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

...you know, if they show the body burning on a pile of Qurans.

Open air cremations is a Hindu ritual.

:)
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Virgi
Virgi
  • Threads: 0
May 2nd, 2011 at 12:44:23 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Not so much honor him, but his family and the other members of his Faith. We're already fearing a backlash after OBL's death, it does seem kind of reasonable to limit it by respecting the body.

If all the Muslim reporting the past 10 years is correct, OBL was a aberration to the Islamic faith and they are reiterating that today. A backlash would be expected from the extremist world after the killing of their leader anyway. We also just killed his son and 3 grandchildren. Who cares about his family? To claim a respect of the body of such a killer is nonsensical.

• Jump to: