petro
petro
  • Threads: 17
December 21st, 2010 at 1:19:48 AM permalink
This is something that has annoyed me for years; paying for the government’s damn wars.

I feel like I am an accomplice in a crime now because of the tax I've paid.

You'll find some activists deny the charge that they as taxpayers facilitate for the process of war.
They say; “Once the money leaves our hands so does the responsibility!”

If that were true then the person who hires a hit man is innocent.
It doesn’t make sense.

I have spent months thinking about this and I am 99.9% certain that the taxpayer acts as an accomplice to things like war. The taxpayer is like a getaway driver at a bank robbery, or a lookout at a crime.

I have seen some shocking news reports from these besieged countries like Afghanistan. One that impacted me the most was a mother crying out for God to help her because her children were killed in a bomb blast.

I’ve always said to myself that I would rather go to jail or even die than join in on these kinds of things.
Now, that the time has come to keep my word. I am having second thoughts. It would basically mean giving up everything.
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 26
December 21st, 2010 at 2:17:31 AM permalink
I see your point.
You need to move to a country that has no army, so you don't have to contribute to a defense, is that it?
I mean who would want to pay for men fighting the men who mistakenly took down, or tried to, New York, Washington, Detroit and other no good Americans?
Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out of the country!
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
benbakdoff
benbakdoff
December 21st, 2010 at 4:01:36 PM permalink
Quote: petro

This is something that has annoyed me for years; paying for the government’s damn wars.

You'll find some activists deny the charge that they as taxpayers facilitate for the process of war.

It doesn’t make sense.

I have spent months thinking about this and I am 99.9% certain that the taxpayer acts as an accomplice to things like war. The taxpayer is like a getaway driver at a bank robbery, or a lookout at a crime.

I have seen some shocking news reports from these besieged countries like Afghanistan. One that impacted me the most was a mother crying out for God to help her because her children were killed in a bomb blast.

I’ve always said to myself that I would rather go to jail or even die than join in on these kinds of things.
Now, that the time has come to keep my word. I am having second thoughts. It would basically mean giving up everything.

I thought a Sin Tax was a tax on tobacco and alcohol. I'm so happy that you're free to express you're thoughts and opinions here and anywhere else you choose. How do you suppose that's possible?

I love our troops!
petro
petro
December 21st, 2010 at 4:12:56 PM permalink
DeMango, yes I have considered this before. There are not many countries though who don't have armies. But it seems like a rational solution.
only1choice
only1choice
  • Threads: 59
December 21st, 2010 at 4:13:02 PM permalink
Quote: petro

It doesn’t make sense.

I believe that you don't have a clue how good we have it in this country. Get some money together and do some traveling around the world. The Taliban are looking for volunteers. I will be happy to drive you to the airport.
IF YOU PLAY "PLAY TO WIN"
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
December 21st, 2010 at 5:28:20 PM permalink
Quote: DeMango

I see your point.
You need to move to a country that has no army, so you don't have to contribute to a defense, is that it?
I mean who would want to pay for men fighting the men who mistakenly took down, or tried to, New York, Washington, Detroit and other no good Americans?
Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out of the country!

The West in general would have been better off financially if they hadn't gone to a costly war in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I think the decision to go into Afghanistan was the right thing to do on several levels. I don't think the fight in Iraq was.

But I can think the leaders decision was lousy and still support those having to do the hard work and risk their lives.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
  • Threads: 26
December 21st, 2010 at 5:54:08 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

The West in general would have been better off financially if they hadn't gone to a costly war in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I think the decision to go into Afghanistan was the right thing to do on several levels. I don't think the fight in Iraq was.

But I can think the leaders decision was lousy and still support those having to do the hard work and risk their lives.

Afghanistan = good decision and effort.

Iraq = bad decision, but one that turned out good only because Saddam was eliminated. Doing that ended the immoral treatment of the Iraqi people that would have gone on for who knows how long had we not intervened, and that outweighs any of the criticisms and the negatives.

Since a great majority of our fighting troops are from the lowest levels of our society, these wars have given them at least a chance to dig out of their ruts with some self-respect.
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
December 21st, 2010 at 5:56:40 PM permalink
The misery and bloodshed in Afghanistan is not being caused by the US. The US is trying to STOP it. Twenty-plus years of Taliban rule is what is responsible for the current awful state of that country. They storm grammar schools and machine-gun young girls who are trying to learn how to read. They drag men form their homes in the middle of the night and execute them in the street for not having long enough beards.

If you truly decry the human misery in Afghanistan, then you should support the US efforts to destroy the Taliban and Al-Qaida.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
avargov
avargov
  • Threads: 16
December 21st, 2010 at 7:59:43 PM permalink
Quote: JerryLogan

Since a great majority of our fighting troops are from the lowest levels of our society, these wars have given them at least a chance to dig out of their ruts with some self-respect.

This is possibly the most absurd and idiotic statement I have read on this board.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
December 21st, 2010 at 9:09:34 PM permalink
Quote: benbakdoff

I thought a Sin Tax was a tax on tobacco and alcohol. ...

I thought I remembered sin tax as having something to do with proper use of words and grammar, or maybe spelling, which is a particular problem of mine. ;-)

• Jump to: