Poll

13 votes (18.3%)
54 votes (76.05%)
4 votes (5.63%)

71 members have voted

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 219
  • Posts: 11242
December 21st, 2010 at 6:34:22 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I must say that 5 (or maybe 4.5) out of 35 votes is a higher percentage than I expected.

Must be something in casino chips, or maybe in Vegas' air ;)

Seriously, I expected about a 4 or 5% GLBT vote, not nearly 15%



Sample size far too small to draw a conclusion. The general population probably tends to be 1-2% with another 3-4% who are "confused" because popular culture has tried to make it seem normal. And some of that 3-4% will try it out because it is better than being alone in their mind.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Wavy70
Wavy70
Joined: Nov 3, 2009
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 907
December 21st, 2010 at 7:13:11 PM permalink
Quote: benbakdoff

Openly. No, I am not claiming that. It's all double entendres. He talks about being out where he doesn't mean outside. He mentions his partner Paul and always emphasizes the word partner. When referring to another male, he'll sometimes say things like "watch out Paul, he's a good looking guy." When Adam Lambert was in town, he made several inappropriate comments that didn't leave much to the imagination. He reads emails on the air from people bashing him for being gay. He's worse on the Better Connecticut tv show because he gets away with more. I don't have all the dates and times but I'll leave you with one. January 7th 2009 6:15am at the news desk. He was talking about a trip to NY that he had to make with the traffic girl. They got back late and the traffic girl said he could stay in her hotel room. His comment was "I don't swing that way."

My wife thinks he's great and like I said I just want to know if it's going to snow.



So it's more or less the same banter that occurs on just about every newscast? When Geoff Fox on WTHN mentions his wife is he flaunting his heterosexuality?
Watch GoodDay NY the weather guy there seems to need to be in a muscle tee with his arms oiled.

Out of curiosity were you offended that he made inappropriate comments or that he made them about another male?
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
appistappis
appistappis
Joined: Mar 27, 2010
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 105
December 21st, 2010 at 7:30:24 PM permalink
I shouldn't start the one liners here but there must be hundreds for a gay weatherman....lol
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
Joined: Mar 11, 2010
  • Threads: 80
  • Posts: 6963
December 21st, 2010 at 8:16:09 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

30 years ago it seemed gay covered males and females, with "queer" being male-only and "lesbian" being female only. Lately it seems "gay" is more male-only. I attribute some of it to them wanting both names so when they add in bi and transgender they can make catchy slang/acronyms. I'm waiting for the next "acceptable" term to come along and "gay" will no longer be PC. Just like the evolution from negro-colored-black-african american.



I'm fascinated by the progression of PC terminology. Specifically, I don't understand the coopting of words that results in the tabooification of their original or logical meaning.

Finish these lyrics: "I feel pretty, oh so pretty. Pretty and witty and ____?" Serioulsy, West Side Story would be more entertaining if Maria was gay, but putting in bright is just stupid. We all know that gay means happy...

Insurgent is the opposite of incumbent. I got written up at work last month for telling a non-incumbent supplier that he was an insurgent supplier. I wonder if his strong negative reaction makes him an enemy combatant as he relates to my career?

African Americans are Americans who are from Africa. Some of those people are white (South Africans, Zimbabwans, Egyptians, etc.). Some people who are black identify as Caribbean, Panamanian, Fijian, Samoaan, etc. Refering to all people who are black as "african american" incorrectly excludes white africans and incorrectly includes black people who do not identify as african. Further, saying "he's the black guy" is like saying "she's the bigger gal" or "they're bald." It gives the proper and obvious identifying characteristic without imposing an unknown and unnecessary cultural identification.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Wavy70
Wavy70
Joined: Nov 3, 2009
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 907
December 21st, 2010 at 8:29:00 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

I'm fascinated by the progression of PC terminology. Specifically, I don't understand the coopting of words that results in the tabooification of their original or logical meaning.

Finish these lyrics: "I feel pretty, oh so pretty. Pretty and witty and ____?" Serioulsy, West Side Story would be more entertaining if Maria was gay, but putting in bright is just stupid. We all know that gay means happy...

Insurgent is the opposite of incumbent. I got written up at work last month for telling a non-incumbent supplier that he was an insurgent supplier. I wonder if his strong negative reaction makes him an enemy combatant as he relates to my career?

African Americans are Americans who are from Africa. Some of those people are white (South Africans, Zimbabwans, Egyptians, etc.). Some people who are black identify as Caribbean, Panamanian, Fijian, Samoaan, etc. Refering to all people who are black as "african american" incorrectly excludes white africans and incorrectly includes black people who do not identify as african. Further, saying "he's the black guy" is like saying "she's the bigger gal" or "they're bald." It gives the proper and obvious identifying characteristic without imposing an unknown and unnecessary cultural identification.



Perhaps we could just call all of them people?
Perhaps PC should just be called correct. In polite society you don't refer to people as the bald guy or the bigger girl.

African Americans refers to ethnicity and race not to location of birth. Just as Asian American, Irish American etc. A white person from Africa would not be racially or ethnically changed due to location of birth.
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
December 21st, 2010 at 8:30:21 PM permalink
BTW, every single person on Earth ultimately comes from Africa.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
Joined: Mar 11, 2010
  • Threads: 80
  • Posts: 6963
December 21st, 2010 at 10:12:17 PM permalink
Quote: Wavy70

Perhaps we could just call all of them people?
Perhaps PC should just be called correct. In polite society you don't refer to people as the bald guy or the bigger girl.

African Americans refers to ethnicity and race not to location of birth. Just as Asian American, Irish American etc. A white person from Africa would not be racially or ethnically changed due to location of birth.




It's possible to be racially black and not identify as ethnically african - just ask anyone from Trinidad, Jamaica, Haiti, or Panama. The term African American is offensive to people who are racially black and not ethnically African. A person can tell by sight that someone is black. You might be right that it's a bad identifier to use, but that's WAY better than imposing an ethnicity on someone based on only their appearance.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Wavy70
Wavy70
Joined: Nov 3, 2009
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 907
December 21st, 2010 at 10:19:24 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

It's possible to be racially black and not identify as ethnically african - just ask anyone from Trinidad, Jamaica, Haiti, or Panama. The term African American is offensive to people who are racially black and not ethnically African. A person can tell by sight that someone is black. You might be right that it's a bad identifier to use, but that's WAY better than imposing an ethnicity on someone based on only their appearance.


A person can be Haitian and of African decent. Nationality and ethnicity/race are separate items.

You are correct that you would not refer to a person from Trinidad as African America. However the fact of being born in Trinidad does not change you race.
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
Joined: Jun 28, 2010
  • Threads: 26
  • Posts: 1344
December 21st, 2010 at 10:34:54 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

BTW, every single person on Earth ultimately comes from Africa.



Please prove that assertion. I won't be able to sleep nights until you say you can't.
mkl654321
mkl654321
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 65
  • Posts: 3412
December 21st, 2010 at 11:28:24 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

BTW, every single person on Earth ultimately comes from Africa.



Don't bother trying to explain that to Jerry. Topics like paleontology and places like Olduvai Gorge are a tad too esoteric. But you're quite correct.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw

  • Jump to: