rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
June 28th, 2010 at 2:35:45 PM permalink
Quote: PaulEWog

Perhaps she should try playing this:

place the states game

There are varying degrees of difficulty available and the above is a good intermediate level. You have to place the state where it belongs, with a deduction in score for how many miles off you are. Some are easy, (Florida, Alaska), some can be pretty difficult when there isn't any other state that is already in place, (Kansas, Iowa). I did get a perfect score, but not on my first try, and that was probably due in part to some luck in the order with hard to place states.

That site has a lot of different educational games that are fun even if you already know the subject pretty well. Some of them can be challenging for portions of the world you may be less familiar with. It would be great if some of the geographically challenged would spend a little time playing these, instead of online checkers.

Grrrr....got Wyoming first and missed by 120 miles. Then I got the next 49 states perfect, not counting a mouse error where I somehow dropped Hawaii into Minnesota. I WISH we had their weather;-)
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
BigRoss71
BigRoss71
  • Threads: 1
June 28th, 2010 at 3:01:29 PM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

International? Try National.

Ask the average American the name of:
The Vice President-
The First Lady
Thier state's Governor -
Any of their state's Senators or Representatives
The number of Senators their state has

Sadly, I can only answer the first and last of these questions.

The funny thing is, that last question is a trick question. All states have two Senators. However, if asked 'The number of Senators or Representatives their state has', that would more likely jog their memory into realizing that it's a partial trick question.

For the record, I don't know how many Reps NJ has. I want to say 14, but I have no idea.

The Vice President- Joe biden
The First Lady -michelle obama
Thier state's Governor - Chris Christie, also known as asshole.
Any of their state's Senators or Representatives- sens frank lautenberg, bob menendez. congress- leonard lance,didn't vote for him, not sure of the others.
The number of Senators their state has- 2, I also live in northern NJ. Come on DJTeddyBear, you gotta represent NJ better than that lol.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
June 28th, 2010 at 4:31:21 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Try to get people to name half a dozen heads of state around the world.

I remember back in the POTUS election of 2000 a reporter decided to play "gotcha journalism" with then-Govenor Bush and asked the names of several heads of state. Bush rightly asked why the question and his campaign pointed out it was a campaign and not an episode of "Joepardy!" Several news anchors said they would have not have gotten them all, either.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 28th, 2010 at 5:10:38 PM permalink
Quote: PaulEWog

Perhaps she should try playing this:

place the states game

There are varying degrees of difficulty available and the above is a good intermediate level. You have to place the state where it belongs, with a deduction in score for how many miles off you are. Some are easy, (Florida, Alaska), some can be pretty difficult when there isn't any other state that is already in place, (Kansas, Iowa). I did get a perfect score, but not on my first try, and that was probably due in part to some luck in the order with hard to place states.

That site has a lot of different educational games that are fun even if you already know the subject pretty well. Some of them can be challenging for portions of the world you may be less familiar with. It would be great if some of the geographically challenged would spend a little time playing these, instead of online checkers.

Is anyone else having problems with the game crashing?
Toes14
Toes14
  • Threads: 18
June 28th, 2010 at 6:17:09 PM permalink
Almost every election, the media tests an incoming freshman representative or senator by asking them "What do you think about the situation in ___________ (insert fictional country name here). About 3/4ths of the time, the politician will not instantly realize that it's a fake country, and will go into some generic comment about "how we need to work with the UN, the country's leaders, and their neighbors, all for the good of the people living there".

I believe they got Jim Talent on this by using the country of Karondistan.

On another note, I'm always amazed at the number of people who can't tell directions by North-South-East-West.
"Bite my Glorious Golden Ass!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 28th, 2010 at 6:55:09 PM permalink
Quote: Toes14

Almost every election, the media tests an incoming freshman representative or senator by asking them "What do you think about the situation in ___________ (insert fictional country name here). About 3/4ths of the time, the politician will not instantly realize that it's a fake country, and will go into some generic comment about "how we need to work with the UN, the country's leaders, and their neighbors, all for the good of the people living there".

I believe they got Jim Talent on this by using the country of Karondistan.

On another note, I'm always amazed at the number of people who can't tell directions by North-South-East-West.

Heh Heh--I made a joke on youtube once on a "The West Wing" clip about how 60% of American HS Seniors cannot fing Qumar on a map--someone asked if I was serious!

As to NSEW directions, in some places that doesn't work. Roads in Western PA meander and to say "north on x" can be meaningless. Here is an example: the "Parkway West" in Pittsburgh used to be signed I-279N/S. Now the very same road is I-376E/W. Same road. Parts are also a state highway signed N/S and parts a USA Route signed E/W.

Oh, part of the road runs thru a town called "Moon" and another town called "Mars" is just 30 minutes from there.

Now if I could just find where British Hondouras is on my new map I'll be fine.........
cardshark
cardshark
  • Threads: 9
June 29th, 2010 at 6:31:02 AM permalink
Ha, I shouldn't post this, but what the hell. http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-7111005509913775935#

Video: Talking to Americans, with Rick Mercer (famous Canadian personality). Originally, "talking to Americans" was a segment on a popular news parody show called "This Hour has 22 Minutes". The segment was so popular, it spun off into its own full hour special in the early 2000's. The premise: Rick Mercer heads south to the US to ask Americans basic geography questions about Canada with hilarious results.
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
June 29th, 2010 at 8:49:01 AM permalink
vote Jean Poutine for Prime Minister.

A few of the streets in my city have N,S,E & W segments. You can drive in a (relatively straight line) along King W, to King E, to King S to King N.

It's confuzzling to visitors.
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
June 29th, 2010 at 3:38:20 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Now if I could just find where British Hondouras is on my new map I'll be fine.........

Oh, somewhere near Belize, I think...
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
OneAngryDwarf
OneAngryDwarf
  • Threads: 44
July 11th, 2010 at 11:09:00 AM permalink
I just finished a stay at the Grand Sierra in Reno (review coming soon) and had this conversation with a dealer:

Her: "So where are you from?"
Me: "Pennsylvania"
Her: "Wow, that must be really far away! Did you drive?
Me: "No, driving would take me about 2 days. I flew in."
Her: "How long was the flight?"
Me: "About 6 hours."
Her: "Wow, that's like flying from here to Hawaii."
Me: "Yep."

All fairly standard, but then this bombshell...

Her: "Is PA closer to Hawaii than Nevada?"

I did tip her a few bucks, which she hopefully used to buy an atlas.
"I believe I've passed the age/of consciousness and righteous rage/I've found that just surviving was a noble fight... I once believed in causes too/I had my pointless point of view/And life went on no matter who was wrong or right..." --Billy Joel

• Jump to: