EnvyBonus
EnvyBonus
  • Threads: 6
June 27th, 2010 at 3:54:02 PM permalink
How about running for congress and thinking that Puerto Rico is a country?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-m0HiB4gjE
PaulEWog
PaulEWog
  • Threads: 9
June 28th, 2010 at 4:07:08 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

This was an actual county supervisor who was speaking. How can you get to such a point in life not knowing the basic layout of the states in the USA? How could you speak without checking it if you were not sure?

Perhaps she should try playing this:

place the states game

There are varying degrees of difficulty available and the above is a good intermediate level. You have to place the state where it belongs, with a deduction in score for how many miles off you are. Some are easy, (Florida, Alaska), some can be pretty difficult when there isn't any other state that is already in place, (Kansas, Iowa). I did get a perfect score, but not on my first try, and that was probably due in part to some luck in the order with hard to place states.

That site has a lot of different educational games that are fun even if you already know the subject pretty well. Some of them can be challenging for portions of the world you may be less familiar with. It would be great if some of the geographically challenged would spend a little time playing these, instead of online checkers.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
June 28th, 2010 at 7:12:54 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Try to get people to name half a dozen heads of state around the world.

The difference there is heads of state change often. Geography tends to remain constant, excepting major political upheavals.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
June 28th, 2010 at 7:41:29 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Try to get people to name half a dozen heads of state around the world.

U.S.A. - Barack Obama
U.K. - Queen Elizabeth II
Thailand -- King Bhumibol Adulayej (sp?)
Japan -- Emperor Akihito
France -- Nicolas Sarkozy
Russia -- Dmitri Medvedev

Actually, pretty difficult if you are just taking about heads of state, not heads of government. I couldn't remember who the President of Mexico is :(. Or the guy that is in charge of China -- the one that isn't Hu Jintao?

(Edit: Okay, it was Felipe Calderon. For some reason I thought it had changed recently).
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Nareed
Nareed
June 28th, 2010 at 7:57:20 AM permalink
Quote: teddys

Actually, pretty difficult if you are just taking about heads of state, not heads of government. I couldn't remember who the President of Mexico is :(

Sometimes I wish I coulnd't rememebr that, either ;)

There are also countries who have both a president and a prime minister. Who heads what? depends on the particular country.

Sure, any well-informed person should be able to know who the most important 10 heads of state or government are. But for the average person it's not really that important (I think the average person lacks either the time or the inclination to follow international politics).
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 177
June 28th, 2010 at 8:12:30 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I think the average person lacks either the time or the inclination to follow international politics.

International? Try National.

Ask the average American the name of:
The Vice President
The First Lady
Thier state's Governor
Any of their state's Senators or Representatives
The number of Senators their state has

Sadly, I can only answer the first and last of these questions.

The funny thing is, that last question is a trick question. All states have two Senators. However, if asked 'The number of Senators or Representatives their state has', that would more likely jog their memory into realizing that it's a partial trick question.

For the record, I don't know how many Reps NJ has. I want to say 14, but I have no idea.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁 Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition. 🤗
Nareed
Nareed
June 28th, 2010 at 8:19:29 AM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

International? Try National.

Ask the average American the name of:
The Vice President
The First Lady

These two are figureheads who do little more than parrot the Whitehouse line, whatever that may be. Unless the president is near death, the VP's identity is not important. Besides it's Dan Quayle (or might as well be <g>)

Quote:

Any of their state's Senators or Representatives
The number of Senators their state has

Is that the number in the state legislature or in Congress?.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
June 28th, 2010 at 11:07:42 AM permalink
Quote: teddys

U.K. - Queen Elizabeth II
Thailand -- King Bhumibol Adulayej (sp?)
Japan -- Emperor Akihito
France -- Nicolas Sarkozy
Russia -- Dmitri Medvedev

The European heads of state (outside of the French President are very difficult for most people). They tend to remember the monarchs. People often remember the German Chancellor instead of the German president.

The republican movement in the UK seems to think that they are better off with a president then a monarch. Of course, the Americans will never remember his name, and they will constantly be asking what the difference is between the president and the prime minister.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 264
June 28th, 2010 at 1:15:19 PM permalink
Faces change, names change... but they are lying pompous idiotic thieves and I see no need to differentiate amongst them. I remember when there was a hunting accident in Texas and the incident made headlines around the world because a politician had shot someone in the face instead of the back.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
June 28th, 2010 at 2:31:55 PM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

For the record, I don't know how many Reps NJ has. I want to say 14, but I have no idea.

There are 13 U.S. Reps from NJ. Your 15 member electoral college took me to victory in a north-east total vote over/under in my 2004 electoral college handicapping pool:-)
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett

• Jump to: