djatc
djatc
Joined: Jan 15, 2013
  • Threads: 83
  • Posts: 4461
March 7th, 2015 at 10:35:05 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

If the El Cortez can survive then there is no reason the Grand cant make it.
El Cortez has good video poker and excellent BJ.
Why doesn't the Grand look over to the El and copy some of the practices.
I love DT and always take the short hike to the EL.
The Grand is even closer to the Freemont Exp, they can get traffic like the El, just gotta give us better games.
I am actually staying at the Grand next week.
I picked them just because I have stayed at just about every hotel DT but never the Grand so I thought try them out this trip.
Good gambling just a short walk away :-)



el cortez runs on a monthly expense of $5000 a month I'm sure the grand spends a lot more.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
Paradigm
Paradigm
Joined: Feb 24, 2011
  • Threads: 41
  • Posts: 2198
March 7th, 2015 at 11:02:16 AM permalink
The one positive they have going is the peace & quiet aspect of the location. Close enough for you to get to the action & energy of Fremont, but far enough away that you get a bit of respite from the noise if you are ready to crash.

They should have named it The Downtown Oasis and gone for the "new/fresh rooms offering a place to re-charge" angle. They'll get some casino play if the just keep the hotel full cause you won't always walk to Fremont if you have a decent selection of games downstairs from your room. Or alternatively, you'll take one more stab at gaming after you walk back from Fremont. I actually like the hotel & location piece of DT, stayed their twice......but the casino does need do to more to attract play from their guests, because they aren't going to get a lot of walk in traffic.

I love the energy of the The D, probably my favorite downtown casino, but I would never stay there due to the noise just outside from the live stage, etc. I have to believe you will hear that in your room until 2-3AM. Sure I may stay out that late, but I want the option to call it an earlier night and crash in a room where I can actually get to sleep.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 3666
March 7th, 2015 at 12:51:22 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

If the El Cortez can survive then there is no reason the Grand cant make it.


El Cortez is on the way between a Deuce stop (in front of Heart Attack Grill) and Fremont Street Experience. DTG requires you to know to look down what is pretty much an empty block. Unless you're headed to Pizza Rock or the Mob Museum, how many people even know that DTG is there?

Then again, if you want to draw more people there, how about:

We're right across the street from Pizza Rock!

We have Taco Tuesdays! (Well, The Commissary does - or at least it did when I was there - and it's across the street)

You don't have to cross the street any more to eat at Triple George! (TG did take over the Mob Bar spot, right?)

Other casinos on Fremont Street have unlucky fourth floors - not here!
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
Joined: Jan 5, 2012
  • Threads: 66
  • Posts: 4253
March 16th, 2015 at 1:16:01 PM permalink
Quote: Paradigm

I love the energy of the The D, probably my favorite downtown casino, but I would never stay there due to the noise just outside from the live stage, etc. I have to believe you will hear that in your room until 2-3AM. Sure I may stay out that late, but I want the option to call it an earlier night and crash in a room where I can actually get to sleep.


Energy? You mean the deafening music? I can't stand playing at the D...I ran some coupons and free slot play there last trip and couldn't wait to get off the gaming floor. It's so loud sometimes you can't even communicate to the craps dealers what bets you want.

I was surprised that from my tower room at ElCo I could still hear some bass thumping around 11pm or midnight. I couldn't figure out if it was from the FSE or some other stage somewhere, but it was a bit frustrating. It was just quiet enough that it didn't keep me awake though, so no big complaint really.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Perdition
Perdition
Joined: Sep 3, 2013
  • Threads: 36
  • Posts: 610
May 2nd, 2015 at 11:57:47 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

El Cortez is on the way between a Deuce stop (in front of Heart Attack Grill) and Fremont Street Experience. DTG requires you to know to look down what is pretty much an empty block. Unless you're headed to Pizza Rock or the Mob Museum, how many people even know that DTG is there?

Then again, if you want to draw more people there, how about:

We're right across the street from Pizza Rock!

We have Taco Tuesdays! (Well, The Commissary does - or at least it did when I was there - and it's across the street)

You don't have to cross the street any more to eat at Triple George! (TG did take over the Mob Bar spot, right?)

Other casinos on Fremont Street have unlucky fourth floors - not here!



After I eat Heart Attack Grill, I have to make a Deuce stop :(

As far as the Grand, I think it's bottomfeeder that they make you play something before you can use your FP, guess they are afraid of penniless bums taking your cards.

On a side note their cafe has some decent clam chowder.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 418
  • Posts: 22733
May 2nd, 2015 at 12:28:11 PM permalink
Quote: RS

our hotel is a quick walk away from several casinos!



More like a quick run after dark, to
avoid the low lifes and homeless who
want to help you with your BR..
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal

  • Jump to: