JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 209
October 1st, 2012 at 3:24:45 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I just posted a review of Dancing Queen, which plays at the NYNY. Was I being too harsh? I've been in a salty mood lately, and when I am the poison pen has a tendency to come out.

Well I'm guessing that this line taken from your review
won't end up on any of their promotional literature !

"At least I feel a little better after writing this, like I do
after puking following a night of too much drinking".
You know the type always acting cool, Pretender;Take the risk or give up your cards, Pretender, Oh, Oh. - Iris/Avsec
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
October 1st, 2012 at 3:51:02 PM permalink
Quote: bigfoot66

I understand your point here but singing 'the darkies are gay' is a pretty direct reference to the racist system of several years ago. Although I admit when I hear the song I still snicker at that part, so maybe it would be best not to sing it at all.

Ooh. That's bad. I didn't know those were the lyrics.

What about the sequence that ends, "The little faggot's a millionaire," in Dire Straits' Money For Nothing that is usually edited out?
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 153
October 1st, 2012 at 4:02:31 PM permalink
Not sure if it is the same group or not, but Bally's AC had a show with the same name a couple of years back and it also was bad. Many of the same complaints you had. I wonder sometimes if anyone is concerned about the quality of these shows or is just looking to make a buck?

Nevermind I think I know the answer because I paid to see "Viva Elvis".
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
October 1st, 2012 at 5:13:06 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Maybe others did too. The only reason I know that Rimes changed the lyrics was that I used to like her, and bought the CD with that cover on it. However, after hearing the change in lyrics I lost all respect for her.

ps:

Leann Rimes at LVH Dec 13 - 15.
You know the type always acting cool, Pretender;Take the risk or give up your cards, Pretender, Oh, Oh. - Iris/Avsec
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
October 2nd, 2012 at 2:41:36 AM permalink
Quote: teddys

Ooh. That's bad. I didn't know those were the lyrics.

What about the sequence that ends, "The little faggot's a millionaire," in Dire Straits' Money For Nothing that is usually edited out?

Does anyone who grew up in the '50s or '60s remember using Eeny, meeny, miny, moe to choose teams on the playground?
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
October 2nd, 2012 at 3:16:55 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

Does anyone who grew up in the '50s or '60s remember using Eeny, meeny, miny, moe to choose teams on the playground?

In our little suburb, the second and third
lines were:

- "Catch a tiger by the toe,
- If he hollers, let him go"

So, good for us ? Even way back in the
1960's.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 263
October 2nd, 2012 at 3:39:38 AM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

In our little suburb, the second and third lines were: "Catch a tiger by the toe, If he hollers, let him go".

Now that would have been offensive to me though I'm sure some teachers would see an advantage in encouraging little brats to play with tigers. Then of course my favorite children's books are The Magic World Inside The Abandoned Refrigerator and How Mr. Fork Met Miss Electrical Outlet.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
October 2nd, 2012 at 3:45:21 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

In our little suburb, the second and third lines were: "Catch a tiger by the toe, If he hollers, let him go".

Now that would have been offensive to me though I'm sure some teachers would see an advantage in encouraging little brats to play with tigers. Then of course my favorite children's books are The Magic World Inside The Abandoned Refrigerator and How Mr. Fork Met Miss Electrical Outlet.

I got that email, too! My kids still go around saying Mommy Drinks Because You Cry
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 153
October 2nd, 2012 at 6:04:50 AM permalink

In our little suburb, the second and third
lines were:

- "Catch a tiger by the toe,
- If he hollers, let him go"

So, good for us ? Even way back in the
1960's.

How times has changes, and for the better, but back East where I grew up we didnt say "Tiger", but an offense word to most everyone anymore for African Americans. It was even said on the schoolyard and nobody thought much of it. Would have never even remembered it until the above posts.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1246
October 2nd, 2012 at 7:32:53 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

Hundreds of times! At some point I counted the words to calculate where I should start to control the outcome. If somebody else started, and I knew it wouldn't go my way, I would always protest when it came to "catch a." Some people would combine them into one word and some wouldn't. I would just take the opposite position to whatever the "randomizer" said.

I think I also figured out "ink a dink" too, which we did once in a while.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.

• Jump to: