terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 80
December 3rd, 2012 at 6:31:19 PM permalink
Stayed at the 4 Queens last month. In fact going back in a few weeks. I love their Video Poker. Anyway last month got checked in and got my room card. Got to my room, slid the key card in, tiny light turned green, I'm in. Very excited since I just arrived. Just flew accross the country so hungry and bit worn out. Game plan is to go down and get a bite to eat then take a shower then start grinding at video poker. So I go down and eat and go back to my room. I slide my key card and nothing. Slide again in and out, nothing. I go down to front desk, they said its probabbly the magnetic strip on my card. They give me new card keys. I go back up to my room, slide in my card, nothing. Damm. I go back down to front desk. They apologise and said they will get me into my room. They said go back up there and security will meet me. I go back up and an old security guard shows up shortly. He asks me to try again. Hes making sure I;m putting in the card correctly instead of backwards. Still nothing. He trys his master card, nothing. He says the battery in the lock is dead. He calls maitenence. After a few minutes maitenence shows up. I figure they have some master key card conected to a computer. Nope. Instead a curved flat metal rod with a wire, somewhat like a bow. They slide this thing under the door and up trying to catch the indoor latch to pull down. They tried and tried unsuccessfully for about 10 min, over and over but it kept slipping off the inside door handle. It got to be comical. Maitenence would hook the handle saying "I got it, I got it" only to have it slip off when he tried to get it to pull the handle down. Finally they drilled the lock, I gathered my stuff and they gave me a better room.
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
Ahigh
Ahigh
  • Threads: 86
December 3rd, 2012 at 6:38:29 PM permalink
It sounds like material for a competing hotel to use in a commercial.
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
December 3rd, 2012 at 7:03:10 PM permalink
Batteries in a sealed door-lock unit. Just genius.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 123
December 3rd, 2012 at 7:56:02 PM permalink
Great story!

98 Clubs, KABA is a well-known manufacturer of such Locks, and we have them at this hotel, as well. I would say that the vast majority of hotel locks have a battery inside the Lock, but honestly, the batteries die so infrequently that I rented around 15K room nights last year and saw it happen probably less than twenty times.

I will say that the metal rod confuses me, our deadbolts can be opened with an actual physical key. It's hidden behind a cap below the door handle, and you use an allen wrench to take out this little allen screw and the cap pops off, then you can use the key. I personally don't see why the fact that there is a physical key that can open the doors is any huge secret, and I was really bored one night, so I went through and took off all the caps. I figure the guest is already mildly pissed off at that point, so there's no sense in them waiting around for someone to screw with the allen wrench.
Vultures can't be choosers.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
December 3rd, 2012 at 8:49:57 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Stayed at the 4 Queens last month. In fact going back in a few weeks. I love their Video Poker. Anyway last month got checked in and got my room card. Got to my room, slid the key card in, tiny light turned green, I'm in. Very excited since I just arrived. Just flew accross the country so hungry and bit worn out. Game plan is to go down and get a bite to eat then take a shower then start grinding at video poker. So I go down and eat and go back to my room. I slide my key card and nothing. Slide again in and out, nothing. I go down to front desk, they said its probabbly the magnetic strip on my card. They give me new card keys. I go back up to my room, slide in my card, nothing. Damm. I go back down to front desk. They apologise and said they will get me into my room. They said go back up there and security will meet me. I go back up and an old security guard shows up shortly. He asks me to try again. Hes making sure I;m putting in the card correctly instead of backwards. Still nothing. He trys his master card, nothing. He says the battery in the lock is dead. He calls maitenence. After a few minutes maitenence shows up. I figure they have some master key card conected to a computer. Nope. Instead a curved flat metal rod with a wire, somewhat like a bow. They slide this thing under the door and up trying to catch the indoor latch to pull down. They tried and tried unsuccessfully for about 10 min, over and over but it kept slipping off the inside door handle. It got to be comical. Maitenence would hook the handle saying "I got it, I got it" only to have it slip off when he tried to get it to pull the handle down. Finally they drilled the lock, I gathered my stuff and they gave me a better room.

Disappointing. After I read the tltle, I was hoping it would be a story about getting kicked out after being barred for AP or something.

Still funny though.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
December 4th, 2012 at 6:54:36 AM permalink
I had a couple of issues with maintenance at the 4 Queens last May.

The first day, the safe wouldn't open. After calling the front desk, they eventually sent maintenance and security men. They worked quickly, but took upwards of 45 minutes to get to the room (I suppose they're busy elsewhere, but stil).

A few days later the safe wouldn't close. Again the same thing. At first the engineer couldn't get it to work, but eventually it obeyed his commands (missbehaving machinery are a real pain). I even had a nice chat with the security man about weather in Mexico. But I'd rather have had a problem-free safe. I wonder if an old-fashioned system with a key would be more conveninet.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
December 4th, 2012 at 7:04:38 AM permalink
I've had a problem with the battery going out on the keycard entry to a door at a resort in Orlando. This was a condo-style unit with exterior entry doors and apparently the humidity took its toll on electronics on a regular basis, so maintenance had a supply of batteries ready to fix the problem quickly. I suppose the issue out in the desert would be more one of battery age and less of an environmental factor so they wouldn't be prepared to address it as often.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
jc2286
jc2286
  • Threads: 2
December 4th, 2012 at 7:45:54 AM permalink
Quote: 98Clubs

Batteries in a sealed door-lock unit. Just genius.

Happened to me once. I waited in the hallway for 30 mins for maintenance to come. They had a powered master key so it could open the door even with the battery being dead. Took about 5 mins to change the lock out. Got a $30 food comp for my trouble. Wish it happened every time lol.
TIMSPEED
TIMSPEED
  • Threads: 89
December 4th, 2012 at 9:01:27 AM permalink
Lame...
Like others have said, USUALLY either the battery is on the outside (so it can be changed from the outside) or else there's a HARD KEY that opens it no matter what
Gambling calls to me...like this ~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nap37mNSmQ
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
December 4th, 2012 at 9:23:49 AM permalink
hotel door locks

• Jump to: