rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
September 2nd, 2022 at 1:18:30 PM permalink
Maybe produced is not the right word. Often it’s just a finale of something that goes on in other places. Like the PBR bull riding.

Other one’s i have notice. That Ninja athletic competition. Battle Bots.

Anyway, ever been to any TV cast shows in Vegas? How was it? Would you go again?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
September 3rd, 2022 at 3:17:46 AM permalink
I think Vegas only works for a show based in Vegas. The thing is it is hard to make Vegas look like something else. Some cities, Vancouver comes to mind, you can make stand in for so many other places. But Vegas is going to look like Vegas, and if you get past that you still have it looking like the American southwest. This limits plot.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
September 3rd, 2022 at 4:37:25 AM permalink
There are some "studios" opening in Vegas to produce commercials and shows and these are generally non union shops and benefit from lower costs and the ridiculous taxes in California including LA's "gross receipts tax."

That's a tax on your REVENUE and you pay it even if you have NO PROFITS.

When I lived in LA i qualified for an exemption on the gross receipts tax because my business income was under the $400,000 threshold (I think that was the correct amount). But I had to pay the tax on TV production for any REVENUE over $400k a year.

After I moved to Vegas the City of LA was sending me bills for my gross receipts tax based on my IRS 1040 and I had to prove to the city of LA I had moved to Vegas.
camapl
camapl
  • Threads: 8
September 3rd, 2022 at 6:52:00 AM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

There are some "studios" opening in Vegas to produce commercials and shows and these are generally non union shops and benefit from lower costs and the ridiculous taxes in California including LA's "gross receipts tax."

Agreed that taxes overall are higher in California, as is regulation of specific business enterprises, as well.

That's a tax on your REVENUE and you pay it even if you have NO PROFITS.

Hmm, sounds a lot like the way the IRS handles taxation of gambling…

When I lived in LA i qualified for an exemption on the gross receipts tax because my business income was under the $400,000 threshold (I think that was the correct amount). But I had to pay the tax on TV production for any REVENUE over $400k a year.

This sounds akin to Commerce Tax in the State of Nevada. I never had to deal with it officially, as I left the Department of Taxation before it came to fruition during FY 2016-2017.

After I moved to Vegas the City of LA was sending me bills for my gross receipts tax based on my IRS 1040 and I had to prove to the city of LA I had moved to Vegas.
link to original post

That would make me want to say, “No, prove that I’m still there!” But I don’t think anyone would see the benefit of raising taxes so that the tax boards can hunt down the existing taxes. I’m sure (at least I hope) that it was just a matter of paperwork to get yourself exempted from those ridiculous LA taxes.
Expectation is the root of all heartache.
  • Jump to: