dudestupid
dudestupid
  • Threads: 23
November 15th, 2010 at 10:10:20 AM permalink
I saw that both Sideswipe and Recycled Percussion will be having shows at Tropicana. This got me thinking, what other acts have gotten regular gigs on the strip? (not counting the official AGT show at Planet Hollywood).

Terry Fator is the obvious one, because he was a winner and has the biggest presence at the Mirage.
Others I can think of:
Popovich's Comedy Pet Theater at Planet Hollywood. (I think he was at Circus Circus before he went on AGT)
Jabbawockeez at Monte Carlo. (although they got more fame from winning America's Best Dance Crew)

I once saw Mario and Jenny doing a free show on Fremont Street. I don't know if that was a regular gig, or just that weekend.

The show always breaks my heart, because almost every single season, the masses vote through a singer. Singers already have their own show. The judges always mention "show on the Vegas Strip" as what they are looking for. It's the original variety acts that should dominate, and those are the acts most likely to have a Vegas career. The singers all fade into obscurity.

I hope Fighting Gravity gets a show eventually.

Any acts I'm missing?
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
November 17th, 2010 at 5:43:30 PM permalink
I liked the stunt bicycle guy ( I think its called "trials riding" and competitions are actually held ), and I think he could be an interesting addition to one of the variety shows.

I also remember seeing promo's for a bunch of guys doing amazing tricks on pogo sticks, but I never did see them on the show. So I don't know if I missed it, they were left on the editing room floor, or if they quit.

Also, isn't Gramma Lee at one of the off-strip places.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
dudestupid
dudestupid
  • Threads: 23
November 18th, 2010 at 7:19:14 PM permalink
Jeremy Van Schoonhoven (sp?) was the guy on the bike. I'm by no means an expert on trials, but I've seen a few Youtube videos. He was pushing the envelope of that sport every single time he went on. Each new act on the show was something that hadn't been seen before.

I don't think he could carry a show, but you could mix him in with some of the other "danger" acts for a good 90-minute show.

I was curious about Grandma Lee. She doesn't have much of a web presence, but it does look like she was at Palace Station this summer.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
November 19th, 2010 at 5:56:10 AM permalink
I watched the show this past season, and it seems like there was enough interesting
stuff there to be part of a Vegas variety show.

Now that the tour is over, maybe some of them will show up somewhere. I saw
this schedule on the internet. I wonder how well the tickets sold...

10/1/10 Oakland, CA Paramount Theatre
10/2/10 Reno, NV Reno Events Center
10/3/10 Fresno, CA William Saroyan Theatre
10/6/10 Phoenix, AZ Dodge Theatre
10/7/10 Los Angeles, CA Nokia Theatre L.A. Live
10/8/10 Las Vegas, NV The Colosseum at Caesars Palace
10/9/10 San Diego, CA San Diego Civic Theatre
10/13/10 Grand Prairie, TX Verizon Theatre
10/15/10 Kansas City, MO The Midland by AMC
10/16/10 Minneapolis, MN Northrop Auditorium
10/17/10 Milwaukee, WI Riverside Theater
10/20/10 Rosemont, IL Rosemont Theatre
10/21/10 Saint Louis, MO Fabulous Fox Theatre
10/22/10 Indianapolis, IN Clowes Memorial Hall
10/23/10 Columbus, OH Veterans Memorial Auditorium
10/24/10 Detroit, MI Fox Theatre
10/27/10 New York, NY Beacon Theatre
10/28/10 Richmond, VA Landmark Theater
10/29/10 Mashantucket, CT The MGM Grand at Foxwoods
10/30/10 Atlantic City, NJ Trump Taj Mahal - Mark Etess Arena
11/3/10 Boston, MA Citi Performing Arts Center-Wang Theatre
11/4/10 Washington DC DAR Constitution Hall
11/5/10 Greensboro, NC Greensboro Coliseum
11/6/10 Atlanta, GA Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre
11/7/10 Orlando, FL Bob Carr Performing Arts Centre
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
  • Jump to: