sunrise089
sunrise089
  • Threads: 6
March 13th, 2012 at 11:57:26 AM permalink
I originally messaged the Wizard with this question as he's the resident hiking expert, but in his infinite wisdom he suggested I make it a thread.

Three friends and I will be visiting Vegas from March 30th-April 4th. Since we've all visited one or more times before, and since we'll have a car, we decided a fun outing would be to go on a hike outside the city. We're all guys in our 20s, none of us are in peak shape but none of us are terribly out of shape either. We were thinking something around a half-day in length.

I've read the Wizard's articles on Turtle Rock and Red Cap, and the latter seems doable in terms of time and required skill. However I'm sure there are more options than those two, so I thought I'd ask whether Red Cap would be a good choice or if something else might work better.

Thanks for any help and advice!
SONBP2
SONBP2
  • Threads: 88
March 13th, 2012 at 12:10:21 PM permalink
My wife and I and our dogs enjoy hiking at Red Rock on the trail leading to Ice Box Canyon. Takes about 2-3 hours round trip. Sometimes there is water once you get back far enough, but it is probably my favorite hike at Red Rock.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
March 13th, 2012 at 12:15:15 PM permalink
Ever hike the Appalachian trail where it goes thru
N Carolina and Tennessee? It goes to heights
ranging from 1500ft to 6600ft and is unforgettable
in the spring and fall. The summer is too humid,
you'll die.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
March 13th, 2012 at 12:46:20 PM permalink
That is a good time of year for Red Rock canyon. Turtle Head is a good climb, but may be tough for those of average ability. By the way, they just found a human body up there, probably that of a hiker who went missing about a month ago.

Red Cap, which I wrote an article about, is a good short and sweet climb, but the route is hard to find.

My advice is to do the White Rock Loop. It is an easy trail the whole way, and fairly level. About four miles total. You can get a map at the visitor center. Consider taking a detour to the "goldfish pond," which is a natural spring that somebody used to stock with goldfish. Recently somebody cleaned it up and removed the goldfish.

Body of male hiker found at Red Rock's Turtlehead Peak.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
March 13th, 2012 at 7:58:07 PM permalink
I live the hiking advice with the link to the worst case scenario...
Implication: be prepared, take precautions, set a route, stick to it, inform people, bring more water than you think you need
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
Wavy70
Wavy70
  • Threads: 15
March 13th, 2012 at 8:28:39 PM permalink
Another not strenuous and not too far from LV is the Rail trail. Great views of the lake and gentle grade.
Rail Trail
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
crowkart
crowkart
  • Threads: 1
March 13th, 2012 at 8:37:11 PM permalink
My fiance and I were in Vegas just about a year ago. We did the Calico Tanks trail at Red Rock, and also did the Red Cap climb (thanks Wizard). It is a fun climb, but I agree that finding the way up can be a bit tricky....even with the Wiz's directions.

We also hiked part of Fletcher Canyon and Robbers Roost in the Spring Mountains. I can't recommend hiking up there this time of year though, as there was a lot of snow. The drive up to Mt Charleston and back was beautiful though.
sunrise089
sunrise089
  • Threads: 6
March 23rd, 2012 at 1:30:26 PM permalink
Thanks everyone for your responses! I wanted to wait a bit before replying so I could take in everything, but it looks like people have had their say :)

Quote: Wizard

My advice is to do the White Rock Loop. It is an easy trail the whole way, and fairly level. About four miles total. You can get a map at the visitor center. Consider taking a detour to the "goldfish pond," which is a natural spring that somebody used to stock with goldfish. Recently somebody cleaned it up and removed the goldfish.

Based on the Wizard's endorsement my plan is to do this. Unfortunately I'm a bit confused by the different terminology used in this thread, the park visitors guide, and the website birdandhike.com which has some guides to Red Rock Canyon.

As best I can tell I want to take 159 from Vegas to the park. I then pay an entrance fee, and drive on a scenic road through the park. I'll eventually come to the dirt covered White Rock road. Take that to a parking area. Then things get really iffy for me :)

It appears one option is called White Rock - Willow Springs, which runs 2.2 miles each way, or 4.4 miles total. Another option is the White Rock - La Madre Springs Loop, which runs 6 miles total. In the case of the latter option you can choose to start heading either north or south, hitting Willow Springs towards either the beginning or the end of the loop. The "goldfish pond" isn't a separate trail, but rather a very short detour from White Rock Spring at the main trail head.

And, if THAT didn't give enough choices, the whole thing can also be done via driving to the Willow Springs parking/picnic area instead and starting the same hikes from that point.

Does that sound right?
  • Jump to: