billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
April 20th, 2023 at 7:10:06 AM permalink
The Oakland A's have purchased a large parcel of land from Red Rocks and will announce the construction of a new stadium, breaking ground in 2024 that will open by the 2027 season. Oakland's lease expires next year, and there is no indication where they might play in 2025/2026.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
April 20th, 2023 at 8:05:39 AM permalink
Circa built over a former strip club site, MLB baseball stadium over an old hooker motel, Vegas going downhill and losing its “character” fast.

Seriously I hate the idea of a baseball stadium anywhere but the higher elevation northwest valley given temps. I suppose available land, and boomer “Not In My Backyard’s” probably made that unfeasible.
billryan
billryan
April 20th, 2023 at 8:26:30 AM permalink
When they built the ballpark in Summerlin, they initially said it could be expanded to 30,000. Now they want to build a new park that holds 30,000. What becomes of the three-year-old ballpark when the A's open their park?
I attended a lot of 51s games when I lived there, and the weather wasn't a factor in night games, but the occasional day game was brutal.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
April 20th, 2023 at 10:51:52 AM permalink
Are the Oakland A's coming to Vegas? I am skeptical. By contract the A's must have a stadium deal in place by January 2024 or they will not get future revenue sharing money from MLB. That doesn't necessarily mean they will make the move, they just have to have something in place by January.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
April 20th, 2023 at 10:57:13 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Are the Oakland A's coming to Vegas? I am skeptical. By contract the A's must have a stadium deal in place by January 2024 or they will not get future revenue sharing money from MLB. That doesn't necessarily mean they will make the move, they just have to have something in place by January.
link to original post

Are you suggesting that the cheapest team in baseball just wasted money buying a plot they don't intend to use? I haven't seen what they paid, but I'm sure it could have paid this years payroll and more.
DRich
DRich
April 20th, 2023 at 12:48:39 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

link to original post

Are you suggesting that the cheapest team in baseball just wasted money buying a plot they don't intend to use? I haven't seen what they paid, but I'm sure it could have paid this years payroll and more.
link to original post

My thought is that if they get a better offer they can sell this land and probably not lose too much.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
April 20th, 2023 at 4:27:00 PM permalink

The Oakland A's have purchased a large parcel of land from Red Rocks and will announce the construction of a new stadium, breaking ground in 2024 that will open by the 2027 season. Oakland's lease expires next year, and there is no indication where they might play in 2025/2026.
link to original post

Is it out near Summerlin? I keep hearing that it's closer to the proposed Rio site - they definitely say "near Allegiant Stadium."
EDIT: Red Rocks owned the Wild Wild West location where the new stadium will be
billryan
billryan
April 20th, 2023 at 5:32:24 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

My thought is that if they get a better offer they can sell this land and probably not lose too much.
link to original post

Perhaps. I think moving the team to Vegas with a new stadium doubles the teams value, at a minimum. It's hard to remember, but the As used to be one of the most successful teams in baseball, both in the golden era and at the start of the television era.
I know nothing about the As ownership but this story from last week speaks volumes: Last year, the visitors' press box at Oakland Stadium was closed because a possum had moved in, and the smell of feces drove out the reporters. On the As first homestand, everything was fine, but when the As came back off the road, the room was worse than ever. It seems that no one cleans the stadium except on game day.
The move is a no-brainer that should have been done years ago. The current stadium is a disgrace and has been for a generation.
I'd feel bad for the guys who own the minor league team in Summerlin, except they totally screwed the season ticket holders when they moved from Cashman to the new stadium.
Balls fly in the desert after it gets dark. Cashman's left field was 420 and at least twenty feet high but people cleared it on a steady basis.
I'd like to see them make the move, it will be good for the team, and the city. A new stadium is going to need a new infrastructure, which translates into JOB$$$$$.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
April 20th, 2023 at 7:28:05 PM permalink
As someone born and raised in Oakland, and a fan of the A's since I could read my older brother's 1970s game programs, I am only somewhat sad that this time seems to have finally come.

We A's fans got a reprieve when they didn't move to Tampa Bay, but it has been obvious that the current ownership was doing all it can to get the team out of the Coliseum and Oakland.

From my personal perspective, at least they're moving to Las Vegas — a town I visit often and that will provide excitement heading out to the new ballpark as part of my Vegas entertainment package.

The departure of the Raiders (twice) and Warriors has longed numbed me toward sports team emotion.
billryan
billryan
April 20th, 2023 at 7:36:46 PM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

As someone born and raised in Oakland, and a fan of the A's since I could read my older brother's 1970s game programs, I am only somewhat sad that this time seems to have finally come.

We A's fans got a reprieve when they didn't move to Tampa Bay, but it has been obvious that the current ownership was doing all it can to get the team out of the Coliseum and Oakland.

From my personal perspective, at least they're moving to Las Vegas — a town I visit often and that will provide excitement heading out to the new ballpark as part of my Vegas entertainment package.

The departure of the Raiders (twice) and Warriors has longed numbed me toward sports team emotion.
link to original post

My Aunts and Uncles always told me the Dodgers leaving cut the soul out of Brooklyn and started a decline that lasted fifty years.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
April 21st, 2023 at 11:25:39 AM permalink
So what'll happen to the 4-year-old, minor league Las Vegas Ballpark next to the Red Rock? Another Vegas demolition?

Could UNLV play there? Could Vegas support a major AND minor league team? (San Jose has both an NHL and minor league team, but maybe not a good comparison?)
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
Thanked by
smoothgrh
April 21st, 2023 at 12:40:29 PM permalink

So what'll happen to the 4-year-old, minor league Las Vegas Ballpark next to the Red Rock? Another Vegas demolition?

Could UNLV play there? Could Vegas support a major AND minor league team? (San Jose has both an NHL and minor league team, but maybe not a good comparison?)
link to original post

Doesn't the minor league team still play there?

I am hearing that the current deal with the A's in Oakland ends in 2024, but the new Vegas stadium won't be ready by 2025, so until then the A's may share Las Vegas Stadium in Summerlin with the Aviators. The question may become, once the A's (assuming they keep that name) move to Vegas, do the Aviators stay as well?

(You heard it here first: I know somebody up high in the government of Concord, California, and there has been on-and-off talk about building a stadium of some sort in that area; I wouldn't be surprised if the city considers making a play for the Aviators once the A's move.)
billryan
billryan
April 21st, 2023 at 12:56:44 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

link to original post

I am hearing that the current deal with the A's in Oakland ends in 2024, but the new Vegas stadium won't be ready by 2025, so until then the A's may share Las Vegas Stadium in Summerlin with the Aviators. The question may become, once the A's (assuming they keep that name) move to Vegas, do the Aviators stay as well?

(You heard it here first: I know somebody up high in the government of Concord, California, and there has been on-and-off talk about building a stadium of some sort in that area; I wouldn't be surprised if the city considers making a play for the Aviators once the A's move.)
link to original post

Aren't the Aviators the A's minor league team? They can just switch cities.
The Twin Cities have a major league and minor league team, and supposedly the St Paul team has outdrawn the Twins some seasons .
NYC has two major league and two minor league teams, and Long Island has a minor league team.
The Mets minor league team plays in Coney Island and draws quite well. The Yankees minor league teams plays on Staten Island in an amphitheater that is one of NY's hidden gems. Lady Liberty and the Manhattan skyline dominate the view as you watch the game.
The A's name has survived three moves already, so I think it is safe. The Vegas Athletics makes as much sense as the Oakland Athletics.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
April 21st, 2023 at 1:28:49 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

The Oakland (or whatever it's called this week) Coliseum has been the laughingstock of MLB for decades now, both for its field layout (there was an article in Sports Illustrated once that compared the foul areas of the MLB teams, and they were broken down into four categories - small, medium, large, and Oakland) and its problems in the press box. Once the A's leave, there won't be much need for it. I'm not even sure what the arena is used for any more.

And before anyone suggests it: Candlestick Park was demolished in 2015. You may not have heard about it because, rather than being imploded, it was taken down "piece by piece." Besides, San Francisco already has a baseball team; the whole point of moving the Aviators would be to get them out of a city with an MLB team.
billryan
billryan
April 21st, 2023 at 1:41:56 PM permalink
As the Aviators are the top minor league team for the A's, they need to move somewhere that players can get back to Vegas quickly.
The Yankees' top team is a two-hour drive, or twenty-minute plane ride away.
When Vegas was the Mets top team, getting a player to NY for a game took a day.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
April 21st, 2023 at 2:05:19 PM permalink
Switch cities! A's to Vegas, Aviators to Oakland — brilliant!

I'd love that, but I doubt that'll happen. For one thing, the Coliseum will probably get demolished. The other is that a minor league team wouldn't play in an ancient stadium that seats 40,000+ — it would indeed make more sense for the team to play somewhere like Concord, which is far away enough from the S.F. Giants to attract baseball fans.

I would think the Oakland Arena stays — it's still a viable venue for concerts, indoor sports, and Disney on Ice. The East Bay doesn't have another such venue.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
April 21st, 2023 at 4:02:51 PM permalink

Never mind - Oakland A's President Dave Kaval has said that, even if the A's move to Las Vegas in time for 2024 and play in Las Vegas Stadium, the Aviators are not leaving. He also said that the likely date for the first season in a new stadium is 2027, and the two options are Las Vegas Stadium and staying in Oakland.

A Bay Area sportswriter came up with "pros and cons" for the two options:

Staying in Oakland through 2026
Pros:

* The A’s already own half of the Coliseum. That surely helps offset the lease cost, or they could leverage selling that stake into a cheaper extension.
* They could continue their teardown-and-rebuild cycle, potentially entering Las Vegas in 2027 with a team that is two years closer to contention.
* If attendance stays low, they can continue selling the story that they aren’t well supported in Oakland.
Cons:
* They are on pace to have the lowest home attendance of the 30 teams for the second season in a row and they will only become a bigger national embarrassment to Major League Baseball if even fewer fans fill the seats.

Las Vegas Ballpark
Pros:

* Even at a 10,000-seat stadium, they are likely to draw better attendance with a new, excited fanbase than the one they intend to abandon.
* Put the whole relocation mess in the past sooner than later.
* A combination of hot, desert temperatures and cozy dimensions could do wonders for fans of the long ball: there were an average of 3.67 home runs hit per game last season at Las Vegas Ballpark, compared to 1.71 per game at the Coliseum. The A’s have only hit nine home runs in their first 12 home games this season.
Cons:
* Las Vegas Stadium is open-air, which means every home game would likely need to be a night game to combat Vegas’ searing temperatures. (Old Wrigley Field in reverse.)
* The capacity of 10,000 includes standing room only tickets, meaning fans would really be crammed into the park. (Plus, can you imagine how many fans would try squeezing into the pool behind the fence in right-center?)
* Because it’s not a big-league facility, both the league's owners and the players' union would have to agree on the A’s spending a season or two there.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
April 21st, 2023 at 5:17:00 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

The Twin Cities have a major league and minor league team, and supposedly the St Paul team has outdrawn the Twins some seasons .
NYC has two major league and two minor league teams, and Long Island has a minor league team.
The Mets minor league team plays in Coney Island and draws quite well. The Yankees minor league teams plays on Staten Island in an amphitheater that is one of NY's hidden gems. Lady Liberty and the Manhattan skyline dominate the view as you watch the game.
The A's name has survived three moves already, so I think it is safe. The Vegas Athletics makes as much sense as the Oakland Athletics.
link to original post

Wow, Saint Paul Saints I was unaware were now a minor league team. I would be highly skeptical if they’ve outdrawn the Twins since becoming a minor league team (2020) or since Target Field opened.

During the entire time I lived there they were an independent league team filled with former MLB players with former stars like Jack Morris or Darryl Strawberry while he was suspended from MLB. Outdoor stadium, not a pain to get to. Twins were playing on the metrodome and sucked for quite a while. If you’ve ever watched a baseball game in the metrodome (possibly worst MLB stadium in modern history), you would understand why prior to Target Field opening up the Saints was an appealing alternative. Saints also had some unique entertainment and what not.
billryan
billryan
April 21st, 2023 at 5:33:42 PM permalink
Independent baseball is minor league baseball. Weren't the Saints owned by Bill Veecks son?
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
April 21st, 2023 at 6:07:59 PM permalink

Independent baseball is minor league baseball. Weren't the Saints owned by Bill Veecks son?
link to original post

Fair enough. Veeck used to own them, iirc he sold it to a group with Bill Murray.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 26
April 21st, 2023 at 6:53:27 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Wow, Saint Paul Saints I was unaware were now a minor league team. I would be highly skeptical if they’ve outdrawn the Twins since becoming a minor league team (2020) or since Target Field opened.

During the entire time I lived there they were an independent league team filled with former MLB players with former stars like Jack Morris or Darryl Strawberry while he was suspended from MLB. Outdoor stadium, not a pain to get to. Twins were playing on the metrodome and sucked for quite a while. If you’ve ever watched a baseball game in the metrodome (possibly worst MLB stadium in modern history), you would understand why prior to Target Field opening up the Saints was an appealing alternative. Saints also had some unique entertainment and what not.
link to original post

I saw probably 40 games at the Metrodome over the years and honestly never had a problem with it. I’ve watched a game at every major league park and I always thought metrdome and Tropicana field got bad reps when they weren’t great but not atrocious either. Oakland was atrocious, I saw 6 games there and the place was a craphole.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
April 21st, 2023 at 6:59:49 PM permalink
Quote: PokerGrinder

Quote: mcallister3200

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I saw probably 40 games at the Metrodome over the years and honestly never had a problem with it. I’ve watched a game at every major league park and I always thought metrdome and Tropicana field got bad reps when they weren’t great but not atrocious either. Oakland was atrocious, I saw 6 games there and the place was a craphole.
link to original post

It didn’t bother you there was barely a seat in the place that faced straight towards the field? Everyone had to either sit at an angle or have a pretty comical head tilt. It was fine for football. Enduring the metrodome for baseball is legitimately my least favorite childhood sports memory.
billryan
billryan
April 21st, 2023 at 9:42:34 PM permalink
Although I had cheap seats, I attended a Giants football game and thought it was great. I did a baseball game vs. the Royals and enjoyed it, although I spent a lot of time exploring the stadium.

The Long Island Ducks play in the Atlantic League, which was always an Independent League. Now they are an Affiliate of MLB and get paid to try out new rules. The players are all independent and free to sign with any team that wants them.

As a former card dealer, I've always lumped all non-MLB leagues and teams as the minor leagues. That may not be technically correct.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
April 21st, 2023 at 9:44:08 PM permalink
I don’t know, I honestly have nothing but good memories from that stadium.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
DRich
DRich
April 22nd, 2023 at 10:07:29 AM permalink
I hope they allow the lot lizards to stay when they get rid of the truck stop and build the stadium.
billryan
billryan
April 22nd, 2023 at 11:46:19 AM permalink
I'll miss the Wild West. There was a time when they had one of the best low-roller BJ games in Vegas and were pretty generous with food comps.
One midweek night, about three in the morning, this burly truck driver buys in and is waving a huge roll of hundreds. He's playing black chips, and everyone else is red or less. He's superstitious as hell and starts buying people's hands if they disagree with his decision. He was overly concerned about anyone taking the dealer's bust card. It was fun, but he got tedious so I went to bed. Came down for breakfast and I see he is still there, only his fortress of black chips is now a row of red chips.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
April 22nd, 2023 at 1:02:26 PM permalink

I'll miss the Wild West.

Actually, the casino closed last September.
billryan
billryan
April 22nd, 2023 at 1:19:21 PM permalink

I'll miss the Wild West.

Actually, the casino closed last September.
link to original post

I'll still miss it.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
Thanked by
PokerGrinder
April 23rd, 2023 at 7:54:33 PM permalink
Oakland fans get this joke.

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
April 24th, 2023 at 2:40:32 AM permalink
One of the sports betting podcasts I listen to suggested they might or should change their name for this new era.

Vegas Aces?

Vegas AKs?

Thoughts?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
DRich
DRich
April 24th, 2023 at 4:49:47 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

One of the sports betting podcasts I listen to suggested they might or should change their name for this new era.

Vegas Aces?

Vegas AKs?

Thoughts?
link to original post

It won't be the Vegas Aces as that name is already in use.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
April 24th, 2023 at 8:44:42 AM permalink
The Vegas Ploppies
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
billryan
billryan
April 24th, 2023 at 8:56:51 AM permalink
The team has kept the As/Athletics name for 125 years thru three cities. I'd be surprised if they changed it now. Franchises that move don't usually change names, so we have the Utah Jazz and the Memphis Grizzlies. The Thunder changed their names as the Oklahoma Supersonics made no sense.
I'd like to see the Vegas A's bring back the Elephant that was their logo for sixty-plus years before they moved to Oakland in 1968.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
April 24th, 2023 at 9:26:03 AM permalink

The team has kept the As/Athletics name for 125 years thru three cities. I'd be surprised if they changed it now. Franchises that move don't usually change names, so we have the Utah Jazz and the Memphis Grizzlies. The Thunder changed their names as the Oklahoma Supersonics made no sense.
I'd like to see the Vegas A's bring back the Elephant that was their logo for sixty-plus years before they moved to Oakland in 1968.
link to original post

The Sonic fast food chain is originated and based out of OKC. Coulda worked, maybe, I’m not sure anything makes sense of moving from Seattle to OKC in retrospect. Thunder’s primary corporate sponsor is Love’s truck stops.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
April 24th, 2023 at 9:40:16 AM permalink

link to original post

You are correct that teams that move usually don't change their names, but some do:
Seattle Pilots --> Milwaukee Brewers
Washington Senators---> Minnesota Twins
St. Louis Browns --> Baltimore Orioles
Cleveland Browns--> Baltimore Ravens
Montreal Expos--->Washington Nationals
Houston Oilers --> Tennessee Titans

Think of the possibilities:
The Las Vegas Odds
The Las Vegas Gangsters
The Las Vegas Ho's
The Las Vegas Ploppies
The Las Vegas Heat
The Las Vegas Shows
The Stays in Las Vegas
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
AZDuffman
April 24th, 2023 at 10:25:28 AM permalink
The first Senators franchise couldn't take the name when they left. It was really a franchise switch, as Minnesota was supposed to get the expansion team. Instead, the Griffith family moved their team West and the expansion team took DC.
When that franchise failed and moved to Texas, they changed their name to the Rangers.

I'd like them to keep the name but unless I move back to Vegas, it isn't a priority. The best thing for the franchise would be new ownership. Hopefully, the move raises its worth so the owners get their number and sell to someone who wants to win.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
April 24th, 2023 at 12:26:59 PM permalink

link to original post

I agree — there's too much tradition to change the name, and the nickname itself is so generic that it could be used anywhere. A's seems to work well in Vegas because we like seeing As in the cards we're dealt.

The elephant is still a secondary logo for the Athletics — will Stomper the elephant mascot also make the move to Vegas? Seems a bit too old-timey.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 44
April 24th, 2023 at 12:54:14 PM permalink
I could see them working the "A's" logo onto a playing card. Nothing official perhaps, but as a secondary sort of thing. Of course, the WNBA might complain.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
billryan
billryan
April 24th, 2023 at 12:54:43 PM permalink
Using a white elephant as a business logo takes a brave man.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
April 24th, 2023 at 1:45:31 PM permalink

link to original post

It is old but also generic. I would put it mid-pack as far as value goes. Way better than Clippers, but not Packers either.

As other said, name changes happen sometimes with a move. Or they could make the logo more like an A in cards.

They seem to be moving Oakland to Vegas one piece at a time. What next?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
DRich
DRich
April 24th, 2023 at 2:56:21 PM permalink

The first Senators franchise couldn't take the name when they left. It was really a franchise switch, as Minnesota was supposed to get the expansion team. Instead, the Griffith family moved their team West and the expansion team took DC.
When that franchise failed and moved to Texas, they changed their name to the Rangers.

I'd like them to keep the name but unless I move back to Vegas, it isn't a priority. The best thing for the franchise would be new ownership. Hopefully, the move raises its worth so the owners get their number and sell to someone who wants to win.
link to original post

The Cleveland Browns were the same way. Part of the deal was that they got to keep the Browns name. I still think it might be the worst team name out of all major sports.

The Cleveland Browns originally wore white helmets.
billryan
billryan
April 24th, 2023 at 3:11:53 PM permalink

link to original post

The Cleveland Browns were the same way. Part of the deal was that they got to keep the Browns name. I still think it might be the worst team name out of all major sports.

link to original post

It is confusing, as the Cleveland team is named after the Bengals' owner.

The Expos was a horrible name, that was dated before the team even began playing.
Utah Jazz makes no sense, but I think the old Chicago Fire may have been the worst.
DRich
DRich
April 24th, 2023 at 3:15:50 PM permalink

Utah Jazz makes no sense, but I think the old Chicago Fire may have been the worst.

I like Fire for a team nickname.
billryan
billryan
April 24th, 2023 at 3:54:24 PM permalink

I like Fire for a team nickname.
link to original post

Having a cow as a mascot was a bridge too far.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
April 24th, 2023 at 6:14:55 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

It is confusing, as the Cleveland team is named after the Bengals' owner.

The Expos was a horrible name, that was dated before the team even began playing.
link to original post

Jazz made perfect sense when they were in New Orleans
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
smoothgrh
April 24th, 2023 at 7:01:03 PM permalink
Just like Grizzlies made sense when the team was in Canada. The Braves don't really fit with Atlanta, but if you go back two cities, you see it was the Boston Braves, celebrating the patriots who dressed as braves and dumped the Kings tea in the harbor.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
April 24th, 2023 at 9:48:41 PM permalink
Occasionally when I'm doing the streaming internet radio station thing, I'll seek out a jazz station that originates in Utah just to be funny.

So based on the property location that the A's will build on, does this mean the Excalibur won't go changin' anytime soon?
dwc13
dwc13
  • Threads: 0
April 26th, 2023 at 10:31:13 PM permalink
I thought Las Vegas already had a minor league baseball team...
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
April 27th, 2023 at 3:55:42 PM permalink
They should come back to Philly like the good old days.
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
  • Threads: 87
April 27th, 2023 at 4:28:44 PM permalink
Very surprised how small the stadium will seat, 30k.
  • Jump to: