MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
  • Threads: 81
October 30th, 2021 at 3:32:56 PM permalink
Accurate information about Vegas resort fees is hard to come by.

(1) The only hotel booking engine I found which lists resort fees on the search results page is Hotels.com, but even then you have to click the (i) to see the fee, it doesn't mention whether tax is included, it doesn't show the fractional cents, and for the very first hotel I checked, it's the wrong amount. (I haven't checked others yet, but I expect to find other discrepancies.)

(2) Even the hotel websites are wrong. Caesars has this list of resort fees, but the first one I checked, Cromwell, is listed as $37+tax on the site, but when I called Cromwell they said $39+tax. I called back and then they said $45+tax. They said that would be a total of $51.09, but $45 + 13.38% tax would be $51.21. The agent couldn't explain the discrepancy.

(3) The hotels' direct booking pages are a hot mess. For booking Cromwell at Caesars.com, Caesars shows:

$170.00 Subtotal
....34.79 Taxes
....90.00 Resort fee for two nights

This implies that the resort fee isn't subject to taxes, since the Resort Fee appears *below* the tax line. But in fact, taxes on the resort fee are included in the taxes line.

(4) The websites purporting to list resort fees typically don't say how fresh their data is, or cite their sources. And their data doesn't seem to be accurate. The site that comes up first in Google lists Cromwell as $39, which is probably wrong, since it doesn't match what the 2nd Cromwell agent told me nor what the Caesars.com booking engine shows.

So how to get accurate info? As I learned, calling the hotels doesn't work, because on my very first call, I got bad information. Best guess is to use the hotels' own direct booking sites and then play with the calculator to determine whether they're including taxes in the resort fee or not.
Last edited by: MichaelBluejay on Oct 30, 2021
Presidential Election polls and odds: https://2605.me/p
heatmap
heatmap
  • Threads: 259
Thanked by
Dieter
October 30th, 2021 at 5:34:16 PM permalink
Quote: MichaelBluejay

Accurate information about Vegas resort fees is hard to come by.

(1) The only hotel booking engine I found which lists resort fees on the search results page is Hotels.com, but even then you have to click the (i) to see the fee, it doesn't mention whether tax is included, it doesn't show the fractional cents, and for the very first hotel I checked, it's the wrong amount. (I haven't checked others yet, but I expect to find other discrepancies.)

(2) Even the hotel websites are wrong. Caesars has this list of resort fees, but the first one I checked, Cromwell, is listed as $37+tax on the site, but when I called Cromwell they said $39+tax. I called back and then they said $45+tax. They said that would be a total of $51.09, but $45 + 13.38% tax would be $51.21. The agent couldn't explain the discrepancy.

(3) The hotels' direct booking pages are a hot mess. For booking Cromwell at Caesars.com, Caesars shows:

$170.00 Subtotal
....34.79 Taxes
....90.00 Resort fee for two nights

This implies that the resort fee isn't subject to taxes, since the Resort Fee appears *below* the tax line. But in fact, taxes on the resort fee are included in the taxes line.

(4) The websites purporting to list resort fees typically don't say how fresh their data is, or cite their sources. And their data doesn't seem to be accurate. The site that comes up first in Google lists Cromwell as $39, which is probably wrong, since it doesn't match what the 2nd Cromwell agent told me nor what the Caesars.com booking engine shows.

So how to get accurate info? As I learned, calling the hotels doesn't work, because on my very first call, I got bad information. Best guess is to use the hotels' own direct booking sites and then play with the calculator to determine whether they're including taxes in the resort fee or not.
link to original post

I’m pretty sure all of that is dynamically produced

There are travel/hotel/booking APIs that you can probably pay a programmer to get you prices or make you a page that downloads a new set of prices for each time a person wants to know … and if you do that you may as well get into the the booking industry
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
Thanked by
MichaelBluejay
October 30th, 2021 at 5:56:30 PM permalink
It’s pretty hopeless. When I do listing pages, I just base it on whatever is on the property’s website…how can I be expected to get it right if the people charging it don’t even know?
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
October 30th, 2021 at 6:26:07 PM permalink
Quote: heatmap

There are travel/hotel/booking APIs that you can probably pay a programmer to get you prices or make you a page that downloads a new set of prices for each time a person wants to know … and if you do that you may as well get into the the booking industry
link to original post

Becoming a booking agent may not be desirable.
The reviews sometimes get more varnish on them if there is a pecuniary interest.
May the cards fall in your favor.
  • Jump to: