Thread Rating:

JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
June 26th, 2021 at 10:59:53 AM permalink
We arrived at McCarran on Saturday evening, no line at all at the Taxi Stand, so easy-peasy. First stop, GVR. Two nights there and then I picked up a rental car in Henderson and drove to the Strip and checked-in. This will be our longest stay in Vegas, 2 1/2 weeks.

My daughter also flew in, and my brothers flew in on Sunday and Monday, so Tuesday was our hiking day. The Wizard had mentioned Big Falls Trail so we decided to give that a try.

So following the picture is worth a thousand words rule-of-thumb, here's the rest of my report:

More on the hike can be found here, I found the step by step directions very helpful. It is easy to follow even though lots of it are not a typical trail:

https://www.birdandhike.com/Hike/Mt_Char/Big_Falls/_Big_Falls.htm

So ever since my family saw a pack of burros at Jackass Flats (?) on a trip that I skipped, I have wanted to see a burro at Red Rock Canyon. These 2 showed up at the end of hike very close to the end of the parking lot:

We drove back the long way to see what there was to see:

More from the Trip as things progress. We did Omega Mart. Today is my wife's birthday today, and she wants to go out for a fancy lunch.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
heatmap
heatmap
  • Threads: 259
June 26th, 2021 at 12:25:07 PM permalink
my favorite part is the photoshopped masks lmao i would have put one on the back of their heads too
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
June 27th, 2021 at 6:33:32 AM permalink
I forgot to mention that I figured that it would be cooler at the trailhead than in Las Vegas due to the altitude (7000+ feet), but I was pleasantly surprised by how much !

It was 73 deg F when we started hiking at around 9 AM, and when we finished several hours later it was only 83. Vegas was around 100. At one point near the end of the canyon, it was actually a little chilly briefly when the wind picked up and the sun was behind some clouds.

Heatmap, this one is for you:

There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
  • Jump to: