7 votes (29.16%)
5 votes (20.83%)
7 votes (29.16%)

24 members have voted

Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 41
February 8th, 2016 at 10:36:56 AM permalink
In the 2016 WoV Spring Fling -- When? thread, we discussed various dates from April through June. Based on voting the first few days, I exercised unwarranted authority and declared the date for the main event to be April 16, 2016.

In this post from that thread, I stated the 4/16/16 date, summarized the locations and activities for the previous main events at WoVCons and Spring Flings and asked for volunteers (perhaps local ones) to organize the details. I got no response to that request. The next tier of decisions involves Where we should gather and What activities we should plan for this year's gathering

In the interim (while I wait for such a volunteer to show up), I am starting this poll thread to get some idea on preferences for locations and activities. The poll is set up to allow multiple votes, but I prefer that people not vote for conflicting preferences, such as "Elsewhere downtown" and "On the strip". Instead, the voting options include locations, meals, and gaming alternatives -- feel free to pick a preference in each category.

I specifically listed the 777 Brew Pub at Main Street Station, because we have had the main event there 3 of the past 5 spring gatherings, with the other two on the strip and elsewhere downtown. We have gathered three times at noon, once at 2pm, and once at 6pm, and the gaming has involved craps (multiple times), poker (once), and a mixture of games at the same establishment, depending on individual preferences.

This time, I didn't offer an option for the bigots, just a little one to let GWAE know that we are thinking about him.

Hopefully, there will be some consensus among the votes that will give guidance to whoever is lucky enough to volunteer to organize the festivities. Since we all are hoping (expecting) to have the Wizard joining us, I am looking for him to at least post any restrictions that he might have on any of these options.

What say ye? (And please discuss your preferences, such as specifically where if elsewhere downtown or on/off the strip.)
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 68
February 8th, 2016 at 10:48:41 AM permalink
Haha that was funny. I didn't read the poll and as reading was trying to come up with a snide voodoo remark. Then I giggled.

The party is at 11-2 eastern time. If we catch a plane at 5 eastern we would be to vegas by 6 local. I am seriously trying to work that out.
Doc
Doc
February 8th, 2016 at 11:02:08 AM permalink
Do that, and you can be fairly confident that you won't have a bunch of internet antagonists crashing the party back east.
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 26
February 8th, 2016 at 11:41:25 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Haha that was funny. I didn't read the poll and as reading was trying to come up with a snide voodoo remark. Then I giggled.

The party is at 11-2 eastern time. If we catch a plane at 5 eastern we would be to vegas by 6 local. I am seriously trying to work that out.

If you go through the trouble of making that work, my vote is 100% for making it a "supper" / later event for GWAE. I think everyone (who's attending) is fairly up in the air/open to ideas (as no one has set any restrictions/special requests) so this would be a great way to include everyone since GWAE would have a restriction.

I have this really weird desire to have us all meet up at the Bellagio water fountains and that kick off the event. For me personally, I think the nighttime shoes are literally the best free thing in Vegas. Kind of like Oceans 11, but with real gamblers and AP's =P.

I say it's weird because downtown usually makes the most sense. We can all park, get it validated, and it's cheaper gambling/less crowded usually. So it would be awkward to all meet up at the fountains and then go downtown.

p.s. I'm in the midwest. I like crashing parties...
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 16
February 8th, 2016 at 11:48:19 AM permalink
For selfish reasons I vote for supper around 7pm cause then I will for sure make it. If it is a earlier dinner I might have to just meet up for the gambling portion of the night.

Also GWAE if you make that work, that would be pretty epic :)
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. Amarillo Slim Preston
Doc
Doc
February 8th, 2016 at 1:09:53 PM permalink
Quote: Romes

For me personally, I think the nighttime shoes are literally the best free thing in Vegas.

I was having a lot of trouble figuring out how the way some dealer dispensed the cards at night would be the best free thing in Vegas. Then I recognized the typo -- "shoes" should be "shows" -- and I might even agree with you.
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 26
February 8th, 2016 at 1:12:58 PM permalink
Hah, well depends on the game and the dealer I suppose =D... but yes, typo... I meant "shows."
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 79
February 8th, 2016 at 1:30:20 PM permalink
I went 777/Supper/Craps. 777 because it's worked well in the past, supper because I don't really care except that it might work for GWAE that way, and craps because that's the one game that I think I might be able to get the fiancee to play. Unless you all want to play slots with her. Then that works, too. :-)
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 77
February 8th, 2016 at 4:39:01 PM permalink
I think 777 is a good choice for us as well, and prefer dinner to lunch. I'm wondering where we can find craps on a Sat night with room for us and at table mins people can afford to play, even downtown. (I think it was a Saturday afternoon in 2014, not a Saturday night; I could be remembering it wrong, when we went to the Cal because MSS craps was full?) I really enjoy craps with the group, though, more than anything except possibly a poker game. Maybe if we can promise 10-15 people to a craps table we can make a reservation?

PS GWAE: I am planning to be there, and would have a rental car. I have one schedule conflict I'm working out this week, then I'll know for sure. If you guys decide to come, it's such a close connection, I will meet your plane, then take you back to the hotel or rental car center (your choice) after we're done. That should save you at least an hour on the Vegas end. If I get screwed up for coming, I WILL find you a substitute driver among the locals.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 68
February 8th, 2016 at 4:44:50 PM permalink
Thank you BBB, we are 40% coming. The flights that would work are super expensive. I am going to look more into later in the week. We are dping a transition at work so I will be tied up a lot this week.

• Jump to: