MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
November 16th, 2015 at 12:38:29 PM permalink
I play in a big band with a tenor sax player who's been doing a lot of busking on the side. He likes doing it, the crowds like it, and he's a pretty good horn player -- in other words, he's someone worth stopping and listening to, not just some hack with a broken reed and no chops.

He knows I go to Vegas a lot for work and reached out for some advice because the weather here turned lousy lately and the busking season is over. Does anyone here know about the busking scene on the Strip or Downtown? I've heard rumors that some sort of licenses are involved but I don't know the details. Any information or first-hand experiences would be very welcome. Thanks in advance!
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo
  • Threads: 17
November 16th, 2015 at 12:49:15 PM permalink
I believe today was the first day for the new downtown buskers law. As I recall there is a lottery for filling spaces, and then you have something like 2 hours assigned to a small spot on Fremont St. I couldn't find out much about it but did find this article.

I'd guess somewhere on that site there is more information.

Edited to add:

This appears to be the relevant code.

However, I'm pretty sure the lottery/circle system is now in place but that doesn't appear to be in the above.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
November 16th, 2015 at 12:50:22 PM permalink
http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/las-vegas/buskers-voice-concerns-about-proposed-fremont-street-rules
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
  • Jump to: