ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
February 3rd, 2015 at 6:02:34 PM permalink
The "best steakhouse" thread made me wonder; if I wanted to go somewhere for a steak, but didn't want "fine dining", where would you recommend?

If there is a dress code of some sort, there are two options:
(a) Collared short-sleeve polo shirt, slacks, "business" shoes (not exactly "dress" shoes, but they do have heels)
(b) T-shirt, casual pants (maybe even shorts), Nike trainers

Also: no rodizio - I already know where those are in Vegas (my current choice is Fogo de Chao near Silver Sevens, although I haven't been to Texas de Brasil across the Strip from the Taylor Made Golf Experience).

Of the few I have been to, the best one I have had so far was at All American Bar & Grille at the Rio.
Baccaratfrom79
Baccaratfrom79
  • Threads: 58
February 3rd, 2015 at 7:04:57 PM permalink
I would say 'great all around' without the Chic and Celeb chef statues, is still The Strip House at Planet Ho. Been there many times, always great.
Bac79=Hazardous Material and Chemical person correcting other's mistakes. Non AP'er, I can't count cards, low intelligence. Sprinkles magical dust on the cards. Has a lucky monkey. Baby also has a green one. Sum it up: "It's okay just blame me, it's all my fault"! ( No one believes me--so I chose to stop posting)
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
February 3rd, 2015 at 7:13:20 PM permalink
I would say the grill at Smith and Wollensky. Same food as the restaurant but in a more casual atmosphere.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
February 3rd, 2015 at 7:20:08 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

The "best steakhouse" thread made me wonder; if I wanted to go somewhere for a steak, but didn't want "fine dining", where would you recommend?

If there is a dress code of some sort, there are two options:
(a) Collared short-sleeve polo shirt, slacks, "business" shoes (not exactly "dress" shoes, but they do have heels)
(b) T-shirt, casual pants (maybe even shorts), Nike trainers

Also: no rodizio - I already know where those are in Vegas (my current choice is Fogo de Chao near Silver Sevens, although I haven't been to Texas de Brasil across the Strip from the Taylor Made Golf Experience).

Of the few I have been to, the best one I have had so far was at All American Bar & Grille at the Rio.

The steakhouse at the top of Binion's was really good. While they would prefer the A crowd, they have no problem with the B's that show up. Make reservation for sunset. Old school Vegas. They still have a glass elevator.

Had a surprisingly good "prime" steak at Du Par's in the Golden Gate. No pretense, just great food.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
February 3rd, 2015 at 7:24:35 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Had a surprisingly good "prime" steak at Du Par's in the Golden Gate. No pretense, just great food.

I find that shocking and unbelievable that DuPar's has Prime steak.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
February 3rd, 2015 at 7:41:58 PM permalink
How does the steak at Riviera`s steakhouse compare to the more fancy strip locations? I thought it was really good but I was also really drunk and don't have a lot of steakhouse experience.
100% risk of ruin
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
February 3rd, 2015 at 9:32:30 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I find that shocking and unbelievable that DuPar's has Prime steak.

Yep! They are more than great pancakes... But you can have it with pancakes if you want. It is also served in their version of the Vegas classic, steak and eggs.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Pokeraddict
Pokeraddict
  • Threads: 36
February 3rd, 2015 at 10:25:58 PM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

How does the steak at Riviera`s steakhouse compare to the more fancy strip locations? I thought it was really good but I was also really drunk and don't have a lot of steakhouse experience.

They put too much salty crust on it, but you can ask for it off. Otherwise, it is pretty good, especially for the price. Groupon does some B1G1 from time to time.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
February 4th, 2015 at 3:38:48 AM permalink
The bar at Ruth's Chris in Harrah's serves the restaurant food with very comfortable bar seating (both at the bar itself and some bar tables) and casual attire. In and out in less than an hour and lively conversation with other folks there, bartender provides very good service on food as well. Very good food, especially their sides, and really like their steaks. Menu is very mainstream steakhouse, without gourmet twists on flavors and sides.

Oscar's at the Plaza downtown had a mix of casual and more formal dining patrons. Prices lower by maybe 10-20% on the Strip steakhouses; I think they're similar to what was said about Binion's above, where they still attract some old Vegas money and cachet but are easygoing about more casual diners. Food was excellent. There's a bar but I can't recall whether it looked like they served dinner there (I would bet they do).

I've heard PaiGowDan recommend the East Cannery steakhouse but I didn't get there; considering the location and clientele they are probably also in that bracket you're looking for.

In Paris, the Mon Ami Gabi serves really great steaks in the French cuisine flavors (think garlic butter and béarnaise sauce) and is more casual than you'd expect; very bistro. We were happier with our steak there than we were with Gordon Ramsey's (also in Paris) and paid half as much. If you get there early (just before 6pm), you can get a Boulevard seat looking onto Bellagio's fountains across the street without too much trouble.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
  • Jump to: